Help support TMP

"Interesting interview with Max Brooks (WWZ) " Topic

19 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Zombies Message Board

695 hits since 21 Jun 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP21 Jun 2013 7:57 a.m. PST
Generalstoner49 Supporting Member of TMP21 Jun 2013 8:09 a.m. PST

Wow. Neat read but didn't realize he was that… How should I put it…. cracked?

Crucible Orc Supporting Member of TMP21 Jun 2013 8:14 a.m. PST

he sounds like my kind of guy.

jpattern2 Supporting Member of TMP21 Jun 2013 8:23 a.m. PST

Wow. Neat read but didn't realize he was that… How should I put it . . . cracked?
Well, he IS Mel Brooks's son.

mister droid21 Jun 2013 8:33 a.m. PST

Interesting guy. To bad his book (which is absolutely fantastic) has been morphed into an utterly generic and unappealing cgi snoozefest. I like that he took a stand against the movie tie-in reissue of WWZ.

Not for me21 Jun 2013 8:42 a.m. PST

Didn't come across as cracked to me. Seems all too sane and aware of how unprepared most westerners are to face even the slightest breakdown in society,never mind zombies.

Tgunner21 Jun 2013 8:42 a.m. PST

I don't know if he really believes in a zombie plague, but he does have some scary ideas about how life would go on after a major collapse of civilization. Many of his suggestions in the survival guide are pretty good thoughts on survival itself.

Yeah, too bad his book was so badly mauled into the current movie, which I might watch, sometime, on TV, for free.

Personal logo BrigadeGames Sponsoring Member of TMP21 Jun 2013 9:00 a.m. PST

Bare in mind if he had a problem with the movie diverting from the book he could have pulled the plug. The way the book was written would make it difficult for Hollywood to make the movie. He didn't have a problem with it.

Personal logo Ambush Alley Games Sponsoring Member of TMP21 Jun 2013 9:24 a.m. PST

I haven't read the interview yet – did Brooks have a clause that let him pull the plug on the movie?

Most writers don't have that luxury, no matter how big name they are. Directors and studious crush writers under their feet in Hollywood. A writer is lucky if he even gets paid for his work . . .

Shawn.

Personal logo wehrmacht Supporting Member of TMP21 Jun 2013 10:06 a.m. PST

Bare in mind if he had a problem with the movie diverting from the book he could have pulled the plug. The way the book was written would make it difficult for Hollywood to make the movie. He didn't have a problem with it.

I kind of doubt that. He was paid $1 USDMM for the movie rights and I don't suspect he got any kind of "veto power."

The article says he took a stand against having Brad Pitt's face on the book cover but that decision actually may have been his as it related to marketing of his own book.

w.

Shagnasty21 Jun 2013 10:48 a.m. PST

A cool guy with whom I share many anxieties. He was interesting on the "Sons of Guns" TV show when they designed "Zombie" guns for him.

Personal logo BrigadeGames Sponsoring Member of TMP21 Jun 2013 10:59 a.m. PST

The book has no real central characters – it is just a narration of interviews of survivors. Not sure this would work as a movie that needs a wide audience to make its budget and be profitable.

In any case, I applaud him for not letting them put Brad Pitt's face on the book as his character does not appear in it.

I love the idea of his "barbell" shaped home.

Personal logo Ron W DuBray Supporting Member of TMP21 Jun 2013 11:08 a.m. PST

The way the book was written would make it difficult for Hollywood to make the movie

Why do people keep saying this, Have they never seen a movie of short stories??? anthology films examples:

Pulp Fiction, The Meaning of Life, Creepshow, Twilight Zone: The Movie. etc etc…

Personal logo Ambush Alley Games Sponsoring Member of TMP21 Jun 2013 11:30 a.m. PST

Hotel Noir was good, too – but I'd say that about any movie that lets me look at Carla Gugino . . .

Shawn.

Personal logo McWong73 Supporting Member of TMP21 Jun 2013 2:25 p.m. PST

Mmmm…Carla Gugino….

Personal logo 28mm Fanatik Supporting Member of TMP22 Jun 2013 11:53 a.m. PST

Saw it last night. Did not disappoint. Just posted the review on my blog and gave it an A-minus:

link

doug redshirt22 Jun 2013 3:49 p.m. PST

Did not want to like it. Well I did like it. Moved to the top of my list of favorite zombie movies. Love a movie where the main character uses his head instead of a gun, in fact I can only remember him firing a gun once in the whole movie. Also Israeli female soldiers are tough. Ready for the next movie.

Gunslinger Inactive Member22 Jun 2013 9:55 p.m. PST

Agreed. I really enjoyed it. Four of us went, all four had read the book, all four liked it.

RTJEBADIA23 Jun 2013 11:27 a.m. PST

Yup, way above expectations. In fact in some ways I had less problems with it than the book (which I like but find very unrealistic. Good as a story but not as "real" for survival as the Guide or as "real" as a socio-military what if as Shaun of the Dead).

Fast zombies have a place, and they worked well here to give the impression that the main issue is that if they get into a crowded city the chaos makes it hard to fight back… But also maintained some realism in that the military seems to generally fair pretty well after the initial chaos of the attack.

Still a little questionable that they make human ladders, though… Just seems to require too much organized thinking for these zombies.

Also, I thought it was funny.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.