Help support TMP

"75mm pack howitzer" Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

452 hits since 20 Jun 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

PentexRX820 Jun 2013 6:55 p.m. PST

I am making a vignette base for my US Airborne 75mm pack howitzer. My question is how was ammo dropped for these? I assume a few rounds were dropped with the gun. But were the rest in crates and dropped from the wings like mortars, ammo and some machine guns (iirc)?

Bob the Temple Builder21 Jun 2013 2:32 a.m. PST

I don't know how it was done in the US Army, but the British delivered their 75mm pack howitzers by glider, and each gun was towed behind a jeep and ammo trailer. Additional ammo was carried in follow-up gliders.

My father told me this some years ago … and he served with 53rd (Worcester Yeomanry) Air Landing Light Regiment, Royal Artillery, the artillery unit in UK 6th Airborne Division.

bsrlee21 Jun 2013 3:09 a.m. PST

If the gun was air dropped, it would be dropped as several loads, as if broken down for animal transport, as was done at Dobodura in the Pacific T.O.

So ammo would have been dropped in suitable containers not regular packing cases, almost certainly with the fuzes packed separately – fuzed ammunition had been found to be unsafe about 1941.

John Thomas8 Supporting Member of TMP21 Jun 2013 11:16 a.m. PST

fuzed ammunition had been found to be unsafe about 1941.

The poor folks that learned that lesson…..

Trockledockle21 Jun 2013 12:02 p.m. PST

Have a look at this link from an earlier thread on this forum. 10 rounds were dropped with the gun.

link

PentexRX824 Jun 2013 9:38 a.m. PST

Thanks, Trockle. That article gave me a few ideas for my vignette. Now to find a base big enough…

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.