Help support TMP

"Purchasing Antique Weapons" Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the 19th Century Discussion Message Board

535 hits since 22 Jan 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

beausant22 Jan 2013 1:30 p.m. PST

Has anyone ever purchased weapons from IMA (International Military Antiques), a Internet seller. I am interested in purchasing a rifle, but I am concerned about not seeing what I buy first, as the pictures are representative only. Do they have a good reputation?

SECURITY MINISTER CRITTER Inactive Member22 Jan 2013 2:00 p.m. PST

Don't know.
Museum Replicas and Atlanta Cutlery are pretty good. The head Mongol got a nice Martini-Henry from them.

I may have a link in book marks.

Link:
atlantacutlery.com

Personal logo chicklewis Supporting Member of TMP22 Jan 2013 3:32 p.m. PST

If you are considering one of the many rifles from the Nepalese royal armoury, you would be wise to be cautious. Some of those pieces have been reported to be in HORRIBLE condition. If it matters to you, it would be wise to get a photo of the one they intend to ship to you.

If the rifle you want is not from the Nepalese armoury, please ignore me.

Old Jarhead22 Jan 2013 5:38 p.m. PST

My wife bought me one a few years ago. It was in very good condition. The only problem was ammo. At the time "Old West Scrounger" had ammo at $30 USD for a 10 Round box.

Lion in the Stars Supporting Member of TMP22 Jan 2013 9:46 p.m. PST

If you reload ammo for it, a Martini isn't too bad. Just use the 'Trapdoor Springfield' load tables for a .45-70. DO NOT use the tables for a Ruger #1 or similar, those will be far too hot for a vintage rifle.

Thank you for sharing the Atlanta Cutlery link, now to find the appropriate web gear (or a pattern so I can make my own).

bsrlee22 Jan 2013 10:05 p.m. PST

Martini's tend to be self limiting with reloads – if the load is anywhere near over pressure, you won't be able to get the empty out without using a ram rod & hammer. You will also need a 'small base' full length sizing die as falling/tilting block rifles have virtually no capacity to force a case into the chamber.

Been there, done that.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.