Help support TMP

"Heroquest For A New Generation" Topic

24 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Fantasy Discussion Message Board

Back to the Old School Wargaming Message Board

Back to the Dungeoncrawls Message Board

3,441 hits since 22 Jan 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Crankee Doodle Inactive Member22 Jan 2013 1:53 p.m. PST

While messing around in the attic this weekend, I opened a very dusty box and discovered my 20+ year-old copy of Heroquest which I had forgotten about. I took it downstairs and asked my 6-year-old son if he would be interested in playing. He picked through the box, looking at the miniatures and cards, and seemed interested. Later that night, with my wife joining in, we played through the first quest.

The first few turns were uneventful, as the rules were learned and so forth. But, by the middle of the game, things quickly changed. As new rooms were explored and monsters were battled, he was visibly shaking with excitement. He was smiling ear to ear when the game was over and the heroes were successful in their quest.

Since then, we have had daily discussions about the game and how he should spend the gold his character collected. He wants to play everyday, but to avoid burnout (his and mine), I agreed to once or twice a week. Needless to say, I'm very happy to share this game with him and look forward to our next adventure.

Personal logo richarDISNEY of the RDGC Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member22 Jan 2013 2:01 p.m. PST

Funny…
That is how I got my son and daughter into gaming too. Using Heroquest.
But mine were a tad older than yours when we started.

What a good pop you are.
beer

Chief Lackey Rich Supporting Member of TMP Fezian22 Jan 2013 2:12 p.m. PST

Thankfully there are some similar options available amongst the in-print games these days. Descent, the recent D&D boardgames, and Super Dungeon Explore all spring to mind. Even been a recent reprint of Dungeon, and at a bargain price to boot.

Mr Clean 72 Inactive Member22 Jan 2013 2:13 p.m. PST

Good one Dad!

My 7 and 9 year old kids are hooked too.THW's one page zombies was the culprit.

NOLA Chris22 Jan 2013 2:20 p.m. PST

Did the same with Talisman for my 7 year old daughter

I'll have to go look for HeroQuest now!

Chris

ordinarybass Supporting Member of TMP22 Jan 2013 2:28 p.m. PST

Excellent work initiating the young one.

I've got a complete Battlemasters set waiting for the day my son is old enough.

It may be a while though, as battlemasters requires the ability to speak in complete sentences and count to 6.

Caesar22 Jan 2013 2:43 p.m. PST

That's awesome.

Personal logo Dale Hurtt Supporting Member of TMP22 Jan 2013 3:05 p.m. PST

Great story. I liked that game too. Good to hear that more may be entering the hobby.

Cherno22 Jan 2013 3:07 p.m. PST

"Thankfully there are some similar options available amongst the in-print games these days. Descent, the recent D&D boardgames, and Super Dungeon Explore all spring to mind. Even been a recent reprint of Dungeon, and at a bargain price to boot."

SDE and Descent are not cooperative games though, better examples for the HQ style of Dungeon Crawling would be (besides Advanced Heroquest and Warhammer Quest) the new D&D boardgames (Wrath of Ashdarlon, Castel Ravenloft and something with Drizzt) which are pretty enjoyable from what I have heard :)

ChrisValera22 Jan 2013 3:24 p.m. PST

Battlemaster was Warhammer for a younger set. Spending the cash on a sealed copy on ebay is a great investment, both for your kids, and the amount of figures that come in it, indluding an Empire Cannon. The cost of the cannon is now half of what a set of Battlemaster goes for, even sealed.

Glenn M22 Jan 2013 3:42 p.m. PST

As I understand it the best Heroquest style game out there right now is Mice and Mystics. The DnD boardgames have so much excess stuff, there is just no comparison.

Heroquest had a nice level of monster slaying, exploration and plot to make it a compelling game. Without this fine level of design, the game would not have been the same. I feel if I wanted to play a Heroquest game, I'd just play Heroquest, there is no reason to not, you can gather everything you need to play online for free.

Cherno22 Jan 2013 5:16 p.m. PST

You mileage may vary, but I am convinced that all the warm words for Hero Quest are the result of a major case of nostalgia coupled with the most beautiful and complete components (little rats on the cupboards? Skulls on the torture rack? Yes please!) of any Dungeoncrawler.
Beyond the looks and after two or three games however it quickly gets very old, with the Heroes becoming pretty much invincible and combat always ending up in front of a single-wide doorway, and the GM gets relegated to pointlessly rolling for hordes of weak monsters which don't stand a chance against the mighty barbarian.

That being said, I still regard it as one of the classics because there's much room for houseruling and because it was the first game that had this kind of exposure. I guess it's great for kids, but longer campaigns need something else once the Wow-factor diminishes.

Kealios22 Jan 2013 7:44 p.m. PST

Ive got Mice and Mystics on order for my 6 year old son, as it is out of print currently. In order to get my gaming fix with him, we've done Heroica from LEGO as well as Battletech, Quickstrike-style. He loves them both!

Glenn M23 Jan 2013 7:21 a.m. PST

Heroica is a good time actually. We added a few rules to make it more interesting, but it's a solid little game.

BlackKnight23 Jan 2013 10:51 a.m. PST

I play the D&D Adventure games with my 4-year old son, using most of the rules. I highly recommend them as cooperative and fun and more re-playable than HQ because of the random layouts.

AndrewGPaul24 Jan 2013 1:04 p.m. PST

SDE and Descent are not cooperative games though

Neither was Heroquest – at least, not the way we played it. grin

Descent – at least 1st edition – is probably more cooperative, since you'll really need to work out your order of activation, share out weapons and equipment and combine abilities and attacks to be effective.

Personal logo Parzival Supporting Member of TMP24 Jan 2013 3:01 p.m. PST

Never played Heroquest, as by the time it came out, I was fully invested in D&D, and didn't have an interest in a "kiddie version." (Ah, the arrogance of youth.)

I do have Battle Masters, however, which is a great light wargame. It's heavy on the randomness factor (a single card deck tells you which side moves and what units, and cards are only drawn and used one at a time), but it's easy for anyone to pick up, plays well even when repeating the included scenarios over and over, and is a lot of fun.

Personal logo Spacelord Sponsoring Member of TMP17 Feb 2013 3:17 p.m. PST

Good to hear that Heroica is alright- the kids have it but I haven't tried it out with them yet. I was a bit disappointed that it didn't have full size minifigs as I wa splanning to shoehorn in some samurai, ninja and pirate action- will just scale it up if it's worthwhile I suppose.
Now where did I stash my Heroquest…

Stewbags17 Feb 2013 4:38 p.m. PST

I was playing HQ today with my 17yo, 6yo and 4yo. It is an ok game with quality bits, but it is easy for my young ones to play which makes it gold in my book. I just wish they had given the whole how to make to doors fit a bit more thought……

Both young uns had big grins cos they were playing with daddy and big bro. Oi thats my fish is also a great game we have had lots of fun with, makes a change from dominos, game of life, sorry and the more mainstream family boardgames.

Edwulf18 Feb 2013 4:38 p.m. PST

I have many fond memories of heroquest and its expansion sets.

CooperSteveOnTheLaptop21 Feb 2013 12:06 p.m. PST

Still got my fully painted set up in the attic. Not sure my 6 year old is quite ready for it yet…

abdul666lw04 Mar 2013 1:14 p.m. PST

'A touch of Evil' (set in the 18th C., for a welcome change) seems to fit your description:
link
flyingfrog.net/atouchofevil

picture

picture

picture

picture

picture

A good introduction, seemingly, to 'Lacepulp' gaming link

CooperSteveOnTheLaptop12 Mar 2013 2:23 p.m. PST

Ooo that looks fun!

geekygamer13 Mar 2013 3:52 p.m. PST

My 3 year old discovered "Daddy's toys" a couple weeks ago as I left some figures out when I went to work before he awoke.

He was very excited about them and wanted to learn all about them. The wife was less than excited about that. :-)

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.