Help support TMP

"Jaegers in AWI" Topic

18 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the American Revolution Message Board

694 hits since 22 Jan 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Razor78 Supporting Member of TMP22 Jan 2013 8:18 a.m. PST

Any idea how many different units of Jaegers fought in the AWI and any one time? I just got my hands on a bunch of them and am trying to figure out how many to keep and how many to trade/sell. Right now I have 8 units of 12 figs but I'm thinking that's way too many.

Sundance Supporting Member of TMP22 Jan 2013 8:24 a.m. PST

IIRC there was a battalion sent by one state and a company or so by another one or two states. Perhaps a little more than that, but off the top of my head that's what I'm coming up with.

historygamer22 Jan 2013 8:30 a.m. PST

What ratio is your game? I don't recall the numbers off my head, but it is meaningless without telling us what scale of game you are playing?

Razor78 Supporting Member of TMP22 Jan 2013 10:02 a.m. PST

I'm using 28mm and BLack Powder for rules. We use 24 figures as a standard unit but the jaeger units would only be 12 each as we consider them a small unit. I recently acquired 96 figures of jaegers so that would be 8 units at 12 per unit (as per my previous post). My question is were there actually 8 different units of German/Hessian jaegers fielded during the AWI?

Personal logo Endless Grubs Supporting Member of TMP22 Jan 2013 10:15 a.m. PST

I may be wrong, but I only recall there being 2 companies of Jaegers. Lots of fusiliers and grenadiers (five companies to a battalion usually).

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP22 Jan 2013 10:32 a.m. PST

Hesse Cassel sent two (?) companies. They were kept up to full strength.
Brunswick sent a company with Burgoyne's expedition.
I think there was a company of Anspach, but am not sure.
Rarely did you see more than a company in a single battle.
In a large battle, there might be a company with eah large wing.

From what you say about BP (I don't have it), 2 units of 12 would be more than sufficient.
You can also get by with calling them whatever state's jaegers that you want. The differences are extremely minor.

Shark Six Three Zero Inactive Member22 Jan 2013 10:52 a.m. PST

use them for a game of Muskets and Tomahawks if hey are based individually.

Personal logo ColCampbell Supporting Member of TMP22 Jan 2013 10:54 a.m. PST

The Anspach company was normally brigaded with the two Hesse-Kassel companies and fought around New York, Philadelphia, and in the south. As John said, the Brunswick company was with Gentleman Johnny.

Jim

Virginia Tory22 Jan 2013 11:10 a.m. PST

Well, at Brandywine there were 500 Anspach and Hessian Jaegers under Lt Col von Wurmb; an additional 100 were mounted.

They didn't fight as a formed unit, though, so as others have noted it depends on the scale and how your rules depict light infantry activities.

epturner Supporting Member of TMP22 Jan 2013 11:11 a.m. PST

I have about that many Queens Rangers and probably half that many Jaegers. I mount mine individually, on washers, that I can put on a multi-figure base for games like Black Powder, or for individual skirmishes or games like TSATF.

For a skirmish or a TSATF type game, 96 isn't bad. Call it one or two companies. Add the same number of British Light Infantry and you could skirmish yourself silly.

Make up two 12 figure units for Black Powder and Bob's your uncle.

My two shillings.

Eric

Supercilius Maximus22 Jan 2013 11:52 a.m. PST

Company strength would be 100-120. From memory there were

in the Middle and Southern theatres:

- 2, later 4, foot coys and 1 (poss. later 2?) mounted coy of Hesse Cassel jaeger

- 1 foot coy of Anspach-Bayreuth jaeger (mostly served near to, or even alongside, the Hesse Cassel coys)

and in the Northern theatre:

- 1 foot coy of Brunswick jaeger (along with four musket coys as part of the von Barner Light Bn captured at Saratoga)

- 1,later 4, then eventually 5 foot coys of Hesse Hanau jaeger (1, later 4, as an independent unit mostly serving out west with St Leger/Brant/Butler, 1 more late on 1781? as part of a Light Bn simialr to that of von Barner, serving mostly in the east, but saw no action).

historygamer22 Jan 2013 11:56 a.m. PST

In reading Ewald, he seems like he often operated with 100 jagers at a time, often going forward with 50, while leaving 50 in a fall back position behind him at a tactically adventageous positions. My point being, he didn't have all 100 up with him at a time usually.

Supercilius Maximus22 Jan 2013 11:58 a.m. PST

No, they seem to have acted more as half-companies certainly early on (1776) when working with the British Light Bns as an advance guard in Westchester etc. I would have thought 50-60 men in an extended double-line would have been as much as one or two officers could handle.

The other thing to remember is that jaeger invariably had musket armed troops with them as close-order protection; when operating with other German troops, these were usually platoons from the grenadier battalions, but others could suffice – in the Guilford Courthouse campaign they worked alongside the Foot Guards light company.

historygamer22 Jan 2013 1:12 p.m. PST

I seem to recall he ofen took varying numbers with him, but certainly 50-60 men (25 up, 25 back) was not unusual either. Of course there are movements versus scouts too, so that may be the discrepancy.

Ewald sometimes refers to combat using their swords. I think I'm at Charleston right now. Looking forward to the rest of the book.

RudyNelson Inactive Member22 Jan 2013 2:14 p.m. PST

Excert from my book on german Aux.
"…The commander of the Hesse-Cassel foot Chasseurs was Donop in 1776. The separate Hessian and Ansbach Jaeger companies would be consolidated to create a Combined Jaeger Corps which was commanded by Lieutenant Colonel Wurmb from 1777-83. Both the First and Second Ansbach Jaegers companies as well as later replacements from would be part of this consolidated Jaeger Command. In battle reports these are often referred as only Hesse-Cassel detachments regardless of their commander or home country of the troops. The mounted Hesse-Cassel Volunteer Jaegers was commanded by Pruschenk from 1781-83…"

"…On campaign these light troops operated in small detachments with specific assignments. In addition to their combat duties, jaegers were tasked to act as dispatch riders, and military police. Replacements for the Chasseurs and even the Jaeger units were drawn of regular infantry soldiers who had qualified to become part of the Jaeger Detachments by excellent marksmanship or other skills. As the war progressed a greater need for Jaeger troops became more apparent. Reinforcements from Europe tended to have a higher percentage of jaegers than the initial 1776 forces…"

RudyNelson Inactive Member22 Jan 2013 2:18 p.m. PST

Unit strengths by year. 1776-1781 pulled from the charts so are not straight.

Hesse-Casel Jager Detachments 140 180 180 285 *250 *250

Hesse-Hanau Jager Detachments 410 390 410 410 410

Brunswick Barner Chasseur 560 560 *320 n/a>

Anspach Jaegers n/a 100 *100 *100 *100 *100

Virginia Tory23 Jan 2013 4:17 a.m. PST

>Ewald sometimes refers to combat using their swords. I >think I'm at Charleston right now. Looking forward to the >rest of the book.

I read about this (I think) in McGuire, around the time of the Battle of the Clouds. The Hessians charged some riflemen in a rainstorm, using their short swords. The riflemen didn't take it well.

Personal logo Der Alte Fritz Sponsoring Member of TMP23 Jan 2013 9:34 a.m. PST

American riflemen tended to have an aversion to sharp pointy things.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.