Help support TMP


"3mm ACW figs- new project and pics!" Topic


6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.


Back to the Basing Message Board

Back to the ACW Discussion Message Board


750 hits since 21 Jan 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

forwardmarchstudios21 Jan 2013 7:14 p.m. PST

Hi all,

Well, I finally got around to painting up my Napoleonic this weekend. While doing that I ended up messing around with my ACW stuff again and figuring out a really neat way to base them up. As you may remember if you've been following my misadventures with these guys, my most recent plan with these guys was to do very large units at 2:1 for big convention games. But even further back, one of my older plans was to do games with about a 12:1 figure ratio, give or take. I was going to use Chickamauga as the test case, at 12:1 roughly, so that a ~300 man regiment was 24 figs, 30mm in frontage. This way you could play the entire battle on a decent sized table while having every regiment and gun-section/battery represented. I stopped doing it in some frustration because I couldn't get them to look right, especially when it came to the bases. I was using plastic card and for some reason it just didn't come together. Well, I abandoned the plan and went with the bigger units.

Now however, the project has gotten a sudden lease on life. I had a burst of energy over the weekend and found a way to do it better.

picture

picture

picture

picture

picture

picture

picture

That's what I've got after a day of reorganizing some of my figs, rebasing and putting flags on.

The bases were what really helped me get the project going. I mentioned awhile back that I was using home-made sheets of latex caulk to make flags out of. This was actually a really bad idea, and the printed off flags I'm using now (from Warflag, sized down and laser-jet printed at Staples) are much better. But I had a few big sheets of thin brown latex laying around. I had thought about using as basing material several times but had never got around to it, in part because it was all wadded up, shoved to the bottom of my storage box/mini purgatory with all the over-sized figs that I'll never use again. As I worked on the Napoleonics I decided to try out the latex for small ACW bases, and it ended up working. I used some 3mm litko bases to make the lines, and basically cut all the bases by hand. When the base was a bit out of shape I fixed it by placing a liko base over top of the bayonets and setting my cell phone down on it until the glue dried. Result- perfectly flat, very thin bases with a uniform color and almost no ledge effect and almost no space past the base. In other words, the 12:1 Chickamauga project is back on like Donkey Kong… whatever that means.

The nice thing about being able to do my own bases is that I can cut arty bases to order. The confederates used a lot of 2 gun sections at Chickamauga. In some cases these had radical effects on the outcome of combat. So, since in this project 30mm is 100 yards, I can cut 10mm frontage 2 gun sections, or 20mm 4 gun batteries or 30mm 6 gun batteries. The arty ration is 2:1, and the bases look pretty good with the numbers mentioned above. Basically 10mm of frontage per gun.

So, I've got about 1 division worth of Union and Confederates finished up at this point, and another 30 regiments that I'll have based up tonight. Each army will be about 3500 figs, which is convenient because that's how many I have painted up and unbased. I have another 1000 based on 60mm x 40mm, but those will remain there until I do some soul searching on that particular project. Anyways, I'll post some of the arty batteries when I get a few more done, plus the other figs.

galvinm Supporting Member of TMP21 Jan 2013 8:12 p.m. PST

WOW!

MCV 8022 Jan 2013 4:39 a.m. PST

I am collecting 3mm stuff as well, mostly modern and ACW is normally not my field of interest but what I see here is really catching my eyes! Very good work!
Thanks for sharing this little gems.

Macunaima Inactive Member22 Jan 2013 8:18 a.m. PST

VERY sharp basing idea.

It occurs to me that with a bit of care, you could paint your strips, glue them down to an extremely thin piece of plastic (I have one that .25 mm, for example) then BUILD your bases around them with the latex. Once dry, you simply snip them out with a scissors and cut them to size with a sharp exacto knife.

forwardmarchstudios22 Jan 2013 1:15 p.m. PST

Macunaima-
I actually did exactly that and have some pics. I'm going to do another post maybe tonight or tomorrow with a step-by-step. What I tried was actually to put down the caulk, stick the minis in it and then actually flocked it. It looked pretty good, but it clashed with the other bases I had already done so I went back to the current way of doing it. What you wrote works though, it's very easy and fast (and cheap!).

HistoryPhD22 Jan 2013 2:59 p.m. PST

Ok ok, I can't stand it any longer!! I'm buying some 3mm right now!! I blame all of you for this (points finger accusingly)!!

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.