Help support TMP


"First 08 Napoleonics " Topic


13 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.


Back to the Basing Message Board

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board


1,073 hits since 21 Jan 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

forwardmarchstudios21 Jan 2013 7:45 p.m. PST

Hello all,

So, over the weekend I finally got around to painting up some of the new 3mm Napoleonics I've had lying around the last few weeks. I had previously posted that I was thinking of basing them on large brigade bases, but as I worked on them I found that the best bet was to base them on the smallest bases possible, three strips to a base, so that I could sabot base them. Also, I decided to try something different from my large 60 x 40mm bases I've done some of my ACW stuff on. The idea behind this new system is that when the figures are placed onto terrain they'll look like they are standing on the terrain itself and not on the base. I think it'll work well. Anyways…. here's a French battalion with 180 figs in it…

picture

Here's a close up of the center companies where the command would be… notice I haven't used the command figs. Still looks fine…

picture

picture

Close up of voltiguers:

picture

I took these pics with an iPhone so the focus is a bit hazy at times. but you can see all the detail that Marcin got on them. A very impressive product. I want to do another battalion of Austrians now! Well, they'll be Hungarians actually. Anyways, I will do a step-by-step on them eventually as I took pictures. These are based gray, washed with GW Nurgal Oil or whatever they call it (its not quite an ink, actually a very good wash) and then the detail was picked out. I like the small basing a lot, and I think all my Napoleonics from O8 are going to be based like this. 180 figure battalions to start. The flags are from warflag, shrunk down in size and printed at Staples (they have excellent heavy-weight paper for this sort of thing). The nice thing about having small bases is that, say I want to use 60 figure battalions one day for a more complex game I can very quickly add all the flags needed. And, as mentioned above I'll be doing a bunch of sabot bases for these guys for games of FPGA and VnB. An awesome product. When I get the Austrians done I'll post some pics. I already have the flags.

The only thing I may change about the bases is by cutting them from sheets of caulk I'm making (right now the bases are basically glue. I spread craft glue onto cd protector sheets cut to size, put the figs in the glue, flocked them and then after the glue dried peeled the plastic piece off. Nice and sturdy, for now, but I'm concerned they'll get weak with enough rough handling. Then again, they're as thin as you can possibly make a base and actually seem pretty tough so far. I'm taking a page out of Warartizans book here). If you go over to the ACW page I'll be posting the results of that experiment (one which finally worked!).

Whatisitgood4atwork Supporting Member of TMP21 Jan 2013 8:22 p.m. PST

Wow. They look great. Thanks for posting.

boy wundyr x Supporting Member of TMP21 Jan 2013 8:24 p.m. PST

Those look really great, looking forward to the tutorial on the painting.

79thPA Supporting Member of TMP21 Jan 2013 8:43 p.m. PST

I am surprised how good they look at 3mm.

galvinm Supporting Member of TMP21 Jan 2013 9:13 p.m. PST

Again. WOW!

razuse Supporting Member of TMP22 Jan 2013 6:48 a.m. PST

wow is right…just started messing with mine. I am mounting them on a 40 x 15…6 strips 3 deep, 2 across. My idea is 2 fold. My stands will be used for DBN or command and colors. The command stand will be command and on the right side, 2 half strips of volts./grends,. Each unit will have 4 stands, 1 command with volts/grends and 3 line stands. Spliting the strips is a challenge but getting the hand of it.

Steve W22 Jan 2013 7:20 a.m. PST

Have you tried using W&N ink for a final wash, works a treat on my 3 and 6mm

marcin250122 Jan 2013 8:05 a.m. PST

Good work as usual ;)

A lot of 3mm stuff on TMP last time…

Marcin
Oddzial Osmy

2mmww222 Jan 2013 9:17 a.m. PST

Now isn't that easier than trying to paint flags by hand in this scale!!
Looks good!

Geoff

Rhysius Cambrensis22 Jan 2013 11:56 a.m. PST

They are stunning. Good work!

forwardmarchstudios23 Jan 2013 12:27 p.m. PST

Thanks for all the compliments!
I had to do some errands last night so I didn't get around to the step-by-step. It is forthcoming however!

I'm still trying to figure out which battle to go with for my first Nap project. My brother is doing the opposition, which will take the onus of doing the other side off me. He has some weird desire to do the British in the Penninsula, a theatre I am very little interested in. We'll see. I figured out some numbers, and I could do Davouts I Corps at Borodino with 73 x 180 figure battalions for $230. USD That'd be a good start. That's like 13,000+ figs. A very good start. I'll do this in phases, so first I'll have 30 fig battalions, then 60 fig ones, then 90, 120, etc, etc, etc. Actually, if you used 30 figure battalions on the scale I'm doing my ACW stuff in you could get all 220 French/Allied battalions at Borodino down for $176 USD…hmm…

Anyways. First I have to do a sell-off of my unwieldly figures that are over 3mm tall. Which will be commencing this weekend, so keep an eye on the marketplace boards!

Spreewaldgurken Inactive Member23 Jan 2013 12:35 p.m. PST

The tall blonde guy in the second rank of the grenadier company has a button missing.

pbishop1223 Jan 2013 5:28 p.m. PST

My eyes hurt thinking about it. I'm impressed.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.