Help support TMP

"Trojans miniatures" Topic

26 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Ancients Product Reviews Message Board

836 hits since 7 Jan 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

SonofThor07 Jan 2013 11:01 a.m. PST

What do you use for a Trojan army, Mycenaeans? Anatolians? Hittites? Personally I don't like using Greeks for Trojans as well. From what I have read, the Trojans were more related to the Hittites and Anatolians.

Personal logo Pictors Studio Sponsoring Member of TMP07 Jan 2013 11:09 a.m. PST

I use the Old Glory range because it was in my price range for what I wanted to spend on the army at the time. I think if I were to do it again I'd probably go with the Foundry figures. I'd still buy the OG chariots though.

Personal logo Pictors Studio Sponsoring Member of TMP07 Jan 2013 11:11 a.m. PST

Another option is the War Gods of Olympus figures. If you want to do things with a bit more of a fantasy look that is definitely the way to go.

link

WillieB Supporting Member of TMP07 Jan 2013 11:21 a.m. PST

Redoubt has a fantastic range of TRojans that match the Foundry figures perfectly.

A bit smaller but equally good are those from Newline Design.
I wouldn't put them in the same unit but YMMV.

Black Tree has some really good Mycenaeans that again match Foundry and Redoubt very well.

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP07 Jan 2013 11:32 a.m. PST

If you want to include the Immortals as charioteers in your chariots, Old glory has the roomiest ones.

Redoubt's chariots are also roomy, and you have a huge variety of very nice figures.
Redoubt has a dedicated Trojan War line with all the heroes.

Personal logo Blake Walker Supporting Member of TMP07 Jan 2013 11:41 a.m. PST

Ha, I'd go with Redoubt Enterprises if I had the money. I went with a large Old Glory order. I have Foundry Classical heroes for leaders. The rest is Old Glory. I also bought Trojan and Greek command, besides Trojan and Greek Chariots, too. But Black Tree Design's figures are nice, too. Moneywise, I went with Old Glory though. It took long enough to get the figures (about a month) due to a screw up with the order.

That's a story for another time, though.
Blake

SonofThor07 Jan 2013 11:45 a.m. PST

But do you use the same miniatures to represent both Greeks and Trojans? Would you mix in Hitites with the Trojans to give them a different look?

Personal logo Pictors Studio Sponsoring Member of TMP07 Jan 2013 12:00 p.m. PST

I use the same figures for both.

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP07 Jan 2013 12:08 p.m. PST

Redoubt, Foundry and Old Glory all follow Peter Connolly's illustrated book on the Trojan Wars. The Greeks (The Iliad does not call them Greeks but Achaeans, etc.) and Trojans are very similar.
However, Sarpedon and Aeneas both have Sea Peoples' headdresses.
I also mixed in a lot of Foundry Sea Peoples, both Sherden and Peleset as factions for different Trojan commanders.
I gave Achilles Foundry Bronze Age warriors, what with them being uncouth hillbillies.

I used Foundry Nubian nobles as Memnon's Aethiopians.
I used Eureka Amazons for Penthiselia. Eureka has a very nice chariot, but the spearmen are not that great.

Hittites are fine for more eastern allies, but the Iliad treats the Trojans as cousins and very close to the Achaeans.

Obviously, I set up mine as a vehicle for some Iliad type skirmishing, almost role playing battles, rather than strict traditional 1750 point tournament armies.

SonofThor07 Jan 2013 12:14 p.m. PST

Thanks for the suggestion John.

The Gray Ghost07 Jan 2013 12:47 p.m. PST

I like Redoubt for rank and file troops but like BTD/Foundry for heroes and characters. I am not particularly found of OGs line but would buy them if on sale.
As I am a skirmish war gamer I don't need tons of figures.

SonofThor07 Jan 2013 12:54 p.m. PST

From what I've read of the Trojan War, there actually wasn't a siege of Troy but just a series of battles and skirmishes.

Thanks for the suggestions, I've never really looked at Redoubt before but they look like what I am looking for.

Pictors, I had thought of using some of the Crocodile games minis just for added flavor. It may not be historically accurate but would give the characters an extra kick.

DeanMoto Inactive Member07 Jan 2013 2:09 p.m. PST

But do you use the same miniatures to represent both Greeks and Trojans?
According to the ancient sources like Virgil and Diodorus, Teukros was the first king over the area Troy was later built. Teukros is believed to have hailed from either Crete or from Attica. Making him likely either Minoan or Mycenaean. This would've been several generations before the Trojan War. The proximity of Troy to both mailand Greece and also it's position in Anatolia made it a "melting pot" of culture in the region. The Iliad itself makes mention of the Trojan allies all speaking different languages and dialects. "…Such was the babel that went up from the great Trojan host, which hailed from many parts, and being without a common language used many different cries and calls." Iliad IV

From what I've read of the Trojan War, there actually wasn't a siege of Troy but just a series of battles and skirmishes.
Probably a series of seaborne and overland campaigns in and around the Troad leading up the final assault on Troy in the tenth year. In Iliad I, Achilles himself states he has sacked over 20 cities.

Going back to your original question though, you should be fine with the heroes of both sides looking alike in the best bronze armor of the period. The Iliad notes the stripping of arms by the victor from the vanquished. Enemy armor was prized for both its intrinsic value as well as a status symbol. Sometimes Greek and Trojan traded arms or armor as a pledge of honor or friendship as in the case of Ajax and Hector, and also Diomedes and Glaukos.

Oh, and do take a look at the Redoubt Trojan War range.

The Gray Ghost07 Jan 2013 3:01 p.m. PST

Thanks for the suggestions, I've never really looked at Redoubt before but they look like what I am looking for.

I would suggest a sample order, while I like them they are not everyone's cup of tea.

Personal logo Mexican Jack Squint Sponsoring Member of TMP Fezian07 Jan 2013 3:02 p.m. PST

I've got an as yet incomplete Trojan Wars project.

My Greeks are Foundry Mycenaeans. I do like John's idea of using Foundry Bronze Age northerners for Achilles' men.

The Trojans will have Mycenaeans, Hittites, Sea Peoples and maybe some Thracians of the earlier type (which is really still 500 years later). But the head men will mostly be Mycenaeans, because the upper classes everywhere sport the latest fashions. That's my reasoning.

DeanMoto Inactive Member07 Jan 2013 3:23 p.m. PST

You may want your Myrmidons well armed and armored as this is Homer's description of them in Book XVI of the Iliad (as Achilles sends them off with Patroklos leading them):

"Like the close-set stones in the high wall of a house, fitted tightly to defend it from the wind's power, so their helms and bossed shields were ranked, shield to shield, helm to helm, man by man, so tightly packed that as they moved their heads, the horsehair crests on their gleaming helmet ridges touched together."

vojvoda Inactive Member07 Jan 2013 3:27 p.m. PST

I agree with all the above. Mine are a mix of all the above. Old Glory makes up about 1/2 my force but chariots I have an equal amount of all the above. I used Eureka for Amazons. They round out the shortages of the above. Sea people are mostly from Foundry. All of the above (around 2000) figures I got off E-bay or TMP a few years back.

VR
James Mattes

axabrax Supporting Member of TMP08 Jan 2013 8:05 a.m. PST

Does anyone have any actual photos of the Redoubt stuff? I can't believe that they still have only line drawings from 1977 on their website.

DeanMoto Inactive Member08 Jan 2013 8:28 a.m. PST

axabraz:

Please take a look here link lots of Redoubt with a few Foundry, BTD and even a Castaway Arts figure too, IIRC. Dean

SonofThor09 Jan 2013 10:38 a.m. PST

I do like theRedoubt minis, I'll have to put in a sample order. I'm not sure on their Myrmidons, they look good but they're all helmetless.

DeanMoto Inactive Member09 Jan 2013 2:53 p.m. PST

SonofThor:

Go with the helmeted/cuirassed guys and call them Myrmidons – use the bare-headed guys for other units – maybe "linen-clad" Lokrians led by Ajax the Lesser. grin Dean

SonofThor09 Jan 2013 2:59 p.m. PST

Thanks Dean! I do like the idea of using the Bronze Age Europeans for Myrmyidons thoughs that John suggested. Maybe I'll mix them in with some of the Myrmidons by Redoubt just to give them a more rag tag look rather than a prim and proper military unit.

Mexican Jack Squint, Do you think your Battle Troll Rules would be a good match? They're good for Viking sagas, why not Homeric Epics?

DeanMoto Inactive Member09 Jan 2013 8:45 p.m. PST

Not trying to sway your choices, but I had considered the Foundry Bronze Age Europeans to represent the Thracian contingent the ones lead by Rhesus who actually was killed the night he arrived at Troy, but I'd game it as if he survived that night foray by Odysseus and Diomedes. Give him a chance to die on the battlefield proper.

SonofThor09 Jan 2013 9:24 p.m. PST

DeanMoto, would Thracian tribal warriors work though? As long as you don't use any of the Greek style armor like cuirass or Phrygian helmets.

link

DeanMoto Inactive Member10 Jan 2013 9:10 a.m. PST

Depends on what you're after I'm not sure they looked like that in the late-13th to early-12th Cent. B.C. But again, as wargamers, I think we can be allowed some artistic/stylistic license if hard historical/archaelogical evidence does not exist to either confirm or refute especially if it's your own figures and project. I wouldn't be opposed to adding some of them, particularly the ones with Phrygian caps (not bronze Phrygian helmets) and capes it would definitely ID them as Thracians. The leaders could be in Mycenaean gear though.

While on the topic of Trojan allies I've considered getting some Nubians or even Zulus to represent Memnon's contingent. This even though some of the Ancient scources say Memnon was Cissian making him more Indo-European, I think. But to have them readily ID'd on the table, I'd make them more representative as "Aethiopians."

So, as you may surmise, I'd be willing to push the limits a bit the one thing I do refrain from is using the later purely Hoplite type figures. I know some do, for example Foundry's Argonaut range.

Sorry for the rambling, but I've been writing this with several interruptions work grin Best wishes on your project and keep us updated. Dean

colin knight Supporting Member of TMP13 Jan 2013 4:45 a.m. PST

Cutting Edge have some Sea People chariots coming with reed and horned helmets which should fill out Trojan ranks.
Although the foot and very slim compared to Reboubt etc the chariots should fit in.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.