Help support TMP

"A few Skirmish Scenarios for AmRev with native tribes" Topic

8 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the American Revolution Message Board

522 hits since 7 Jan 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

RudyNelson07 Jan 2013 8:19 a.m. PST

Wargame Scenarios Involving Indians
Wargaming Indian forces during the American Revolution can be best accomplished by using a skirmish set of rules (1:1 scale). A 1:10 ratio set can be used for some of the moderately sized engagements. Still by far the vast number of battles involved only a few troops on each side.

MOHAWKS : Often conducted raids under Brant and with detachments of the Royal Greens
Oriskany Creek in New York. Aug 6 1777
Background. During Burgoyne's Expedition, the wing under St Leger had set siege to the Patriot Fort Stanwyx. A Patriot relief force under Gen Herkimer approached the fort but was ambushed a few miles short at Oriskany Creek. The Loyalist sent about 400 troops including Iroquois under Brant to conduct the ambush. The trap was sprung early which allowed the Patriot units, about 200 men, in the rear to retire intact. The bulk of the Patriot force was trapped in a surrounded position. After a thunderstorm the Indians seeing that the Patriots had fortified their position withdrew. The Loyalists continued to engage in bitter fighting for several hours until they too retreated. About half of the Patriots engaged were either killed or wounded.
Forces. Loyalist = 400 Iroquois under Brant + 100 Tories; Patriot under Herkimer = 800 men + 40 Oneida braves.
Troop Deployment. This depends on whether the scenario begins at the initial attack or after the main force has been cutoff. Divide both sides along unit and tribal command lines. If using skirmish rules, you should concentrate on one sector of the battle.
Board Setup. Have a road spliting the board length ways. Place hills on both sides of the road with plenty of trees and rough areas.

The SENECAS often conducted raids with the Butler Rangers.
Wyoming Valley in Pennsylvania. July 3 1778.
Background. Though classified as a massacre by the Patriot Press. It was in fact a standard battle with the Indians giving no quarter. No non-combatants were killed during the battle. It was a classic situation where an area was divided in loyalties.Each side had built a fort at one end of the valley. Both sides left their respective forts to meet in open battle. The Patriots initiated the battle and were very close to the Loyalist fort before the battle started. The extreme distance from the safety of their own fort resulted in an extreme number of Patriot casualties after their lines broke.
Forces. Loyalist = 120 Butlers Rangers under Maj. J. Butler (CnC) + 120 Johnson's Royal Greens + 350 Senecas under Chief Gein-gwatoh + 100 other Iroquois. Patriots = 60 regulars under Cpt Hewett + 300 militia under Col Z. Butler (CnC) and Col Denison.
Troop Deployment. Historical deployment had: LEFT= The Rangers facing Butler's militia; CENTER= The Greens facing Hewetts Regulars; RIGHT= Iroquois facing Denison's militia.
Board Setup. Place the Loyalist fort in the center near a board edge. Woods are placed on one flank ( Indian flank). A stream and farms are on the other flank (Ranger's flank). If playing with long flank edges a Patriot fort can be placed by the Patriot's base end-edge. If one side breaks, its troops can only find safety by retreating into a fort.

Cherry Valley in New York. Nov 11 1778.
Background. A rare raid involving a combined war party of the Seneca and Mohawks plus a detachment of Butler's Rangers. The force was commanded by Cpt Walter Butler, his first command, and supported by John Brant. Brant did not want to go and the tories in his force refused to serve under Cpt Butler. The Mohawks also refused to go unless Brant went. In order to ensure protection for Mohawk towns Brant relented and accompanied the force.
The objective was to destroy Fort Alden which was garrisoned by (400-British reports or 250- Patriot reports) Patriot soldiers. These troops, with almost every officer caught outside the fort, refused to leave the fort and protect the settlement.
Scenario. This what-if scenario assumes better control over the Seneca by Butler and the American staff sleeping at the fort which would have caused a more aggressive response by the garrison. This can be done at a 1:10 scale or a reduced version can be done at the skirmish level.
Board setup. Fort Alden in the center sector surrounded by several buildings . A few farmhouses along the river. Place woods along the boardedges.
Forces. Patriot = 250-400 regulars/volunteers in fort + 30-50 settlers in the town. Loyalist = 100 Butler's Rangers + 100 Mohawks + 500 Senecas
Troop Deployment. 1:10 = Place Patriot troops in the Fort who have to be alerted before they can be activated to move. Divide the Loyalist into a Mohawk command, a Ranger command and one or more Seneca commands. Place the Loyalist in the woods. If using skirmish rules, place civilians and militia farmers in the various buildings of the town.

Chemung Valley in New York. 1779.
Background. In retaliation for the Wyoming Valley and Cherry Valley raids, a large Patriot force under Gen. Sullivan planned to knock the Iroquois out of the war by destroying their towns and crops. It is interesting to note that most of the burned towns would belong to the Seneca nation, the main participants in the above raids.. The main battle of the expedition occurred at a ford which was the main pathway into Iroquois country. The Loyalist and Indians fortified the ridge that overlooked the ford but were vastly outnumbered. The patriots crossed at several points and tried to encircle the defenders. The Tories retired early upon seeing the danger of encirclement. The Iroquois stayed as long as possible and was barely able to retreat through the swamps. After the battle, the Sullivan expedition continued its pillaging of Iroquois towns with only a few minor skirmishes. The Iroquois moved their people to the protection of British forts whose commanders fed them. The Sullivan plan did not work since the Iroquois returned to raid again the next year. (Forces. Loyalist = 315 Tories under Col J. Butler, 200 Butler's Rangers, 100 Royal Green, 15 from the 8th Foot + 500 (some as high as 1000) Iroquois under Brant.
Patriot under Sullivan = Maxwell's NJ Brigade of 1400: 1st NJ- 351, 2nd NJ-371, 3rd NJ- 353, Spencers Rgt- 319 + Poor's NH Brigade of 1300 : 1st NH- 447, 2nd NH- 332, 3rd NH- 288, 2nd NY- 248 + Hand PA Brigade of 800: 11th PA- 366, German Bn- 372, Schott's Company- 51, other independent troops- 89 + Artillery consisting of 2 x Lgt 6 pdrs, 4 x 3 pdrs, 2 Lgt howitzers.
A second column under Gen. James Clinton of 1800 men attacked the Iroquois from a different direction so were not at the battle..
CHICKAMAUGA warriors conducted many raids against Patriot settlements. A 40-50 man warparty was sent to aid the the Loyalists in Georgia in 1778-79.
Shelby's Raid on Chickamauga.
Patriot forces = Col E. Shelby cdr.; 300 Va militia + 200 NC militia
Cherokees = Dragging Canoe cdr. ; 200 warriors
Board setup. An Indian town in the center sector near a body of water.
Troop Deployment. Enter the Patriots from a boardedge along a road and/or a river. There should be two-four commands for the Patriots. Divide the Indians into two commands with one at each end of the town.
Objective. Patriot is to burn the town. Indian is to inflict casualties and delay the Patriots to allow families and British agents to escape.
May 1779 in the Mississippi Valley.
Forces. Patriot = A.Williamson with 250 men. Loyalist = 50 men of Loyal Refugee Co + 100 Chickasaw + 150 Cherokee(Chickamauga)
Board Setup. River boardedge with woods along other edges. Center sector is a large clearing used as a landing. A road will exit the board.
Troop Deployment. Place Patriots at the landing. Place the Tories defending the road. Place the Indians in tribal commands along the woods.

Mobile in Alabama.
Background. After the Spanish captured Mobile, the Chickasaw surrounded the fort and often attacked Spanish patrols and foraging expeditions. These are generic scenarios. The Spanish are at a site collecting food/water and must return to their boats.
Forces. This is a skirmish scenario so each side should range from twenty to fifty men. The Chickasaw should outnumber the Spanish 2 to 1.
Board Setup. One board edge is a river/bay. A road will bisect the board. A clearing will be near the other boardedges.
Troop Setup. Deploy the Spanish, pack animals optional, at one of the clearings with a 1-5 man detachment guarding the boats. Deploy the Indians randomly on the board.
Objective. Spanish are to reach the boats and exit the board.

Pensacola in West Florida.
Background. After the Spanish captured Mobile, their next objective was the West Florida capital at Pensacola. A large force of 400-500 Creek and Choctaw Indians responded to the call for help to defend the fort. The attack did not occur and the British commander did not compensate the warriors for their time and supplies. As a result when the next call for aid was issued very few warriors responded and the fort fell to the Spanish. The what if scenario for the situation of Indian aid can result in a very bloody battle.

Pan Marek Supporting Member of TMP07 Jan 2013 8:28 a.m. PST

Great stuff! I just finished reading "Bloody Mohawk" and was thinking along these lines too.
I might use the "This Very Ground" ruleset.
What set would you recommend for the suggested scenarios?
Thanks!

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP07 Jan 2013 8:40 a.m. PST

I have run Wyoming a few times using TSATF, vanilla, few changes. Add bows, and that's about it.
I set up the lines, with the imagined setup at the point where the line is flanked by the Indians.
I give each Patriot player the option to stand or get a free runaway. They MUST write this down without conferring with the other players.

To my delight, as GM, the line disintegrates, and the fun starts there.
Lots of terrain, "hidden" paths for the Patriots, and lectures by the players (it was a local battle) on how well their own leader did in politics after the war.
We have even had captains who later went on to become a judge, swim the Susquehanna abandoning their men. Well, if the Indians kill your men, they can't vote against you, can they?

I have the itch to do it again soon, this time with the 10 man units we have come to love, but keeping the same number of figures.

I run it on a long table, and I do have a Forty Fort. It's on the corner of Wyoming Avenue (US 11) and River Street. Right past the Burger King and the airport.

Personal logo Der Alte Fritz Sponsoring Member of TMP07 Jan 2013 11:32 a.m. PST

JOFM: I like the deviousness of the scenario that you described. evil grin

Imagine the chagrin a player has when his comrade on his right flank elects to bolt on the first turn.

Personal logo StoneMtnMinis Supporting Member of TMP07 Jan 2013 11:37 a.m. PST

Rudy,

Thanks for the post. By the way, I found my old copy of Fire Ogon Feuer and am using it to satisfy my tank killing jones. Great fun.

Dave

Personal logo John the OFM Supporting Member of TMP07 Jan 2013 11:48 a.m. PST

"Chagrin" is not the word for it…

Imagine the chagrin on the guy who DID run away, and rolled 1,2,1. grin

RudyNelson07 Jan 2013 1:39 p.m. PST

Yep the rules work with 10mm tanks and even 15mm tanks but still are great for micro-armour.
Take care Dave.

Personal logo capncarp Supporting Member of TMP24 Feb 2013 8:29 p.m. PST

John the OFM , 07 Jan 2013 7:40 a.m. PST:

"I have run Wyoming a few times using TSATF, vanilla, few changes.
SNIP***
Lots of terrain, "hidden" paths for the Patriots, and lectures by the players (it was a local battle) on how well their own leader did in politics after the war.
We have even had captains who later went on to become a judge, swim the Susquehanna abandoning their men. Well, if the Indians kill your men, they can't vote against you, can they?"

I guess Pennsylvania politics hasn't changed much, eh, John?

"I run it on a long table, and I do have a Forty Fort. It's on the corner of Wyoming Avenue (US 11) and River Street. Right past the Burger King and the airport."

Does the side that holds the Burger King at the end of the battle the winner or loser? ;D3

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.