Help support TMP

"Deluxe Tunnels & Troll on Kickstarter " Topic

7 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Fantasy RPG Message Board

601 hits since 6 Jan 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo mrwigglesworth Supporting Member of TMP06 Jan 2013 6:28 a.m. PST

The original crew that made T&T is working on a new version. Ken St Andre, Liz Danforth, Bear Peters and Rick Loomis.
I may get into this one.

link

Personal logo Rebel Minis Sponsoring Member of TMP06 Jan 2013 7:26 a.m. PST

Man, I loved that game… I may get on this one as well..

Rebelminis.com

Chief Lackey Rich Supporting Member of TMP Fezian06 Jan 2013 10:18 a.m. PST

It tugs some nostalgia strings for me too but the last version I saw was pretty crude. Did any of the later editions (ther are what, seven? eight?) get to the point where combat was something more than the "roll huge dice pool for monsters, compare to huge dice pool for party, lower takes damage equal to the difference" mechanic? That was the T&T I remember playing, and honestly, it wasn't good. Lots of imagination and potential in the system and adventures, badly let down by a fairly brainless combat system where the only major choices were reserved for spellcasters. Surely they fixed that over the years, right?

Personal logo doc mcb Supporting Member of TMP06 Jan 2013 1:17 p.m. PST

The T&T computer game was excellent for its day. And I adapted a bunch of their solo adventures to RUNEQUEST.

Okay, I just did the $28 USD option for the rules in softcover and pdf.

Thanks for the heads-up for this.

Personal logo mrwigglesworth Supporting Member of TMP06 Jan 2013 4:41 p.m. PST

Mike and Doc. Maybe we could talk Pzgeneral into running a T&T game after hours at Origins?

forrester07 Jan 2013 8:31 a.m. PST

I played this a lot back in the day, but as described above, the combat mechanism encouraged you to stuff as many characters into a fight as could fit around the monster, and to stagger around in as much armour as possible and carry the biggest weapons. No heroic moves or lucky hits. No tactics or cunning plans.It took a lot of the tension and uncertainty away.It also discouraged you from designing characters and making them distinctive, or having a "concept". Why create a Conan type in standard barbarian loincloth when that only has the effect of losing you some protection in the dice-mountain rolling?
Having looked a few years ago at what was happening with the game, I saw not a few pre-generated hero characters that had massive statistics-there seemed to be no parameters in place for what was physically possible for a human.These characters would not be remotely at risk from an average party, not even the slightest scratch.In theory if you played for long enough you could just keep upping the stats with no maximum.
I never played D&D so I don't know if these problems also arose in other games at that time.

However, we had some good times with the game despite its imperfections. I am no longer interested in playing the "long game" with characters in RPGs--no time and no opportunity.I file this away under "nostalgia"--though I can't bring myself to throw the old rulebook away!

Personal logo doc mcb Supporting Member of TMP07 Jan 2013 12:23 p.m. PST

I actually never played that much T&T except the computer game -- which I never finished but enjoyed immensely. The combat system doesn't appeal much, I agree. But it was chock-full of imagination and fun, and I played at least a dozen of the solo books using RUNEQUEST stats and combat.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.