Help support TMP

"Space Orks - GW and Mantic" Topic

8 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Warhammer Message Board

Back to the SF Gallery Message Board

732 hits since 5 Jan 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

The Sentient Bean Inactive Member05 Jan 2013 9:47 p.m. PST

A few recent pics. More on the blog:

link

Wolfprophet05 Jan 2013 10:28 p.m. PST

How do they compare size wise? (Side by side, if you could be so kind as to take a photo maybe?)

The Sentient Bean Inactive Member05 Jan 2013 10:32 p.m. PST

The Nobz in the first few photos are much bigger but they are bigger than regular GW Orks anyway as they are elites. I don't have any of the more recent GW regular Orks to compare the Mantic guys to sorry. Size wise, the Mantic guys would be about the same height but more slight. Thinner perhaps.

Nathaniel06 Jan 2013 12:30 a.m. PST

I really like how matte their skin turned out.

Dogged Supporting Member of TMP06 Jan 2013 4:13 a.m. PST

While GW orks are cool in their own way, definitely Mantic ones have owned the space orks concept while GW ones slipped to the parody. Mantic should give a bit more variants to them…

LeadLair76 Supporting Member of TMP06 Jan 2013 5:17 a.m. PST

Your weathering looks really good. Interesting to get a view on the difference between Mantic and GW Orks.

The Sentient Bean Inactive Member06 Jan 2013 7:02 a.m. PST

Thanks guys. The Mantic figures have slightly less in the way of available poses as compared the regular GW plastic kits. Not really a bad thing as a lot of GW figures are time consuming to put together and I prefer a simple kit. It's not nearly as bad as Perry vs Victrix plastics though.

Mantic use the same body sprue from their fantasy kit in their sci fi offering. I was a little put off by this initially, but I'm now quite fond of the Mantic style and have picked up a few boxes on the cheap. There are a fair few weapons and interesting scanners and other bits and bobs on the sprue. They also furnish you with heavy weapons so the packs are very versatile.

The Mantic parts are not interchangeable with GW and I wouldn't think they would mix well in a unit. In a rag tag Ork army though? Im planning on mixing it up as I quite like having figures from different production eras and manufacturers in the one force.

Frederick Supporting Member of TMP06 Jan 2013 12:36 p.m. PST

Nice look

Thanks for posting – I am using both GW and Mantic Orcs/goblins for the Little Prince's horde and find they work out just fine on the table (I don't mix them in the same unit, though)

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.