Help support TMP

"Ottoman Navy Colors" Topic

2 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Naval Gaming 1898-1929 Message Board

337 hits since 5 Jan 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Prince Alberts Revenge Supporting Member of TMP05 Jan 2013 5:08 p.m. PST

Can anyone help me with the Ottoman/Turkish wartime and peacetime colors? I am specifically interested for the time period before and during the Balkans War of 1912/13. Thanks!

Personal logo BrianW Supporting Member of TMP06 Jan 2013 12:25 a.m. PST

Mal Wright did an article on WWI colors for the various navies, and this is what he has to say about the Ottomans:

Turkish major ships were normally painted in a pale khaki, and the wooden decks (being less scrubbed) were darker. This was because of their role as a mostly coastal navy. Pale, yellowish khaki concealed them against coastlines in their area of operation.
Under German influence, some ships were re-painted grey.
Canvas was painted in khaki as well, but this was far from standard. Waterlines, where painted in, were red.
Torpedo boats were normally black or, later, khaki.

Unfortunately, this is all I can find right off hand.
BWW
EDIT: I did find one drawing of a destroyer that might give an example of the khaki paint job:

picture

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.