Help support TMP

"Please Show Us Your HQ Command Elements/Bases." Topic

11 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

Back to the WWII Microscale Models Review Message Board

1,209 hits since 4 Jan 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Brigadier General Supporting Member of TMP04 Jan 2013 10:50 a.m. PST

I am looking for ideas on how to base up an HQ element for 6mm WW2 games. I've seen what Bruce Macfarlane has done (picture below) and was curious what others have done. Doesn't matter which army you have please post us a pic or link or simply tell us what you have. Thanks! grin

picture

Personal logo Brigadier General Supporting Member of TMP04 Jan 2013 11:37 a.m. PST

This German HQ is cool especially for 6mm.

picture

Angel Barracks04 Jan 2013 11:41 a.m. PST

6milphil has some nice stuff on his blog, I will ping him and see if he can post some links here..

Personal logo Tango 2 3 Ditto Supporting Member of TMP04 Jan 2013 11:42 a.m. PST

Wow, those are just fantastic for such a small scale, wargamer1972. Really good.

Well, I'm going to go overboard, I guess…

I play with 1.5 inch by 1.5 inch (38mm by 38mm) stands with 1:72 figures, with a stand representing a section/squad. Platoon commanders are single based, company and higher commanders are on the 1.5 by 1.5 bases.

Company commanders are usually 2 or three figures, usually with a radio figure. Platoon commanders are single mounted figures and battalion commanders are busy with lots of figs and/or map tables and radios.

Below, here's one of my British infantry company headquarters stands ("red" company I use colours to differentiate) they have a portable bunker (officer from Matchbox 8th Army and radio operator from Airfix Australians):

picture

Below, here's the battalion (to which the above belongs) commander stand, complete with portable tree. Matchbox 8th Army Montgomery figure (green beret), Old Airfix Brit infantry walking guy with bren, ESCI radio operator and I think the officer with back to us is Matchbox:

picture

Below is same stand, another view the disparity between 1:76 and 1:72 is apparent here:

picture

US company commander to left with portable pond, below. Figures on the stands are a mix of ESCI and Matchbox:

picture

Below, German company commander (Revell artillery figs) and a platoon commander, one figure (Revell PzGren) behind the Fujimi Stug with the THICK hatches

picture

Another German company commander to left with portable hedge a bit blurry, but I've always liked this pic, even if it doesn't live up to standards one sees today. The commander stand is figures from Revell German Pzgren and buddy on the left is head swapped and has a scratch battery back. The Peezie 4s are Airfix and ESCI:

picture

Below, Soviet company commander, the Revell guy in a helmet with the map, waves on more Revel and hard plastic ESCI guys to close assault a house. No radio, but he looks heroic enough and has a map:

picture

Below, Soviet platoon commander, the lone guy

picture

Below, Buddy with the flag (AB) is an SU-76 battery commander

picture

I should probably stop.
--
Tim

Personal logo Brigadier General Supporting Member of TMP04 Jan 2013 12:07 p.m. PST

You have some very cool soldiers there Tim. Thanks for posting. I really like the battery commander and the Montgomery stand.

Personal logo Brigadier General Supporting Member of TMP04 Jan 2013 12:08 p.m. PST

Here is another from Bruce Macfarlane, this time a German HQ.

picture

siggian04 Jan 2013 12:15 p.m. PST

6mm Germans from GHQ:

picture

The figures I got only had one pose that worked as an "officer" and I wasn't about to carve the helmet into a peaked cap either, so you get the same pose on all three stands.

(Unfortunately, I got a bit of flash showing up as highlights)

Lion in the Stars04 Jan 2013 2:22 p.m. PST

I like to use the Artillery HQ blisters from Battlefront as my BN HQ stand. Company and Platoon command stands generally get someone waving or pointing, but battalion commanders should have a map out.

Personal logo War Panda Supporting Member of TMP04 Jan 2013 4:20 p.m. PST

siggian & wargamer1972 I honestly can't believe some of that stuff is 6mm…amazing work (puts most of my 15mm to complete shame)

Ditto lots of your Airfix and Matchbox stuff i recognize and brings me right back to when I was a kid playing toy soldiers (some things haven't changed too much grin) they were always my toy of choice growing up so its amazing to me to see them turned into these incredible mini dioramas…every time I look at your stuff I'm tempted to switch to 1:72; it must be an absolute delight to game with such fantastic models and scenery…just brilliant!!!

The Red Baron08 Jan 2013 3:32 p.m. PST

im not very good at taking photos of minis at this scale but here's one of mine:

Mark 1 Inactive Member09 Jan 2013 8:59 p.m. PST

The wargaming rules I have played (WRG, Tank Charts, GI Commander, Challenger, Mein Panzer, Jadgpanzer I and II, or PanzerWar) have not placed high importance and game-dynamics on HQs the was some rulesets (like FoW) do.

I have modelled command stands for some time. But I have only recently started modelling specific HQ bases.

Here is an example of a command stand. In this case, a 2-man platoon command stands behind a rifle squad. These are from my WW2 French Armee d'Afrique troops.

Here is a better look at the command stand, on a mat that shows the colors a little better. I use GHQ individual infantry as much as possible -- for this force I chose Romanian infantry. The helmetted officers work well for platoon and company command elements. I bolster the officer with an NCO made from a grenade-throwing rifleman figure, with the stick grenade clipped and the arm bent just a bit. (This is a common mod for my infantry command stands.)

Here is an actual HQ stand. In this case, this is an HQ for my French continental forces. The officer is a GHQ Italian officer figure (never understand why they give an Italian a kepi!). The other figures are GHQ US Artillery crewmen, which I use in a lot of places where I want figures without rifles.

For my Romanian force I tried something different.

This is a field telephone unit I made from a two-man 60mm mortar team. I clipped off the mortar, bent the loader's arm to his ear, added a box to be the phone, and put a wire real on the gunner's back.

With this I have a 2 piece HQ. A commo team + a command stand = and HQ.

So here is the Romanian command stand. In this case an officer figure, an NCO figure (clipped gredadier), and a prone observer with binoculars.

Just some of my ideas.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.