Help support TMP

"Victrix/Perry/Warlord French Conversions?" Topic

10 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Discussion Message Board

719 hits since 4 Jan 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

JCBJCB04 Jan 2013 10:37 a.m. PST

So I'm staring at boxes of Warlord, Perry and Victrix French infantry (the Victrix stash includes the 1807-1812 French set and the new Middle Guard set), plus the Victrix British Peninsular center and flank companies.

Here are some things I think I can convert out of these. Any new ideas/corrections are welcome. I could use the help.

1. French legere in greatcoats. Pretty easy.

2. A host of minor countries in greatcoats: Croatians, Westphalians, etc. Pretty much anyone with a shako.

3. Portuguese and late Spanish. I'm thinking of the Victrix Brits here – scraping the jacket lace/cuffs off, leaving me with a single-breasted coatee. I can modify barretinas and the later cylindrical shako if I want Portuguese, or use some covered shakos for Spaniards in a single-breasted coatee, covered shako and British kit.

4. Prussian reservists.

5. Maybe morph the Perry French into late Saxons?

6. I think I can do Young Guard pretty easily. I'm not much of a Guard-Bleeped text, though. I used to play with a guy who had an army of nothing but Guard, and it spoiled me.

Any other ideas?

JCBJCB04 Jan 2013 10:55 a.m. PST

Bleeped? "-ophile?" Who knew?

Frederick Supporting Member of TMP04 Jan 2013 11:33 a.m. PST

Use 'em with for the South American Wars of Liberation – especially the ones with greatcoats

Maybe even (at a stretch) Mexican troops at the Alamo (well, if you use shako covers and greatcoats)

STEVE LBMS Supporting Member of TMP04 Jan 2013 11:34 a.m. PST

If you cut down the back of the coat tails on the Victrix French Grenadiers/Voltigeurs and add thistle tuted plumes from the middle guard to covered shakos, and chop off the cuff flap from French arms you can make the 2nd Nassau.

Steve.

JCBJCB04 Jan 2013 11:39 a.m. PST

I'd like to stick to the Napoleonic period in Europe, so South America is out. Great suggestion, though.

Steve, the Middle Guard set is fantastic. I'm swapping arms and heads between greatcoated Perry figures and your Victrix figs, and it just presents endless possibilities. Love this plastic stuff.

Any photos of the 2nd Nassau conversion? I'd like to see how the coat tails are "cut down."

Personal logo ColCampbell Supporting Member of TMP04 Jan 2013 11:52 a.m. PST

Prussian reservists sounds like a very good idea. They wore all sorts of uniform amalgamations.

Jim

STEVE LBMS Supporting Member of TMP04 Jan 2013 11:53 a.m. PST

I am working on a few at present plus making some Lippe by using the corsican hats from our Austrian sets on French bodies. The Austrian bodies left over I am making a few Coburg Saalfeld (they had double buttons on the chest but on a figure with an arm across his chest you don't notice to much!) and cut the coat tails down again and use French Elite heads with shako cords showing. I also took the Oak leaf off the Austrian hat and glued it on the shakos.
Once I get all my backlog of orders out of the way from over Christmas I am going to finish them off and do a newsletter for Victrix about them.
Pretty simple to do however. Just cut a 2 or 3 mill off the bottom, and file down any scratchy areas and skim a bit of green stuff or whatever putty you like using to add a bit of detail to the backsides.
Also forgot to add that for the Nassau use some Perry Hussar heads to make the Grendiers.
To add a bit of difference to Greatcoated figures wearing gaiters, use a few of the legs from the Austrian set. Just chop off below the knees and glue them to the flat surface left under the Greatcoated figure, (Victrix or Perry)just adds a nice bit of variety to your units and very easy to do.

JCBJCB04 Jan 2013 11:59 a.m. PST

Edited: I mentioned Lippe, but Steve beat me to it.

If I get an Austrian set with shakos, I can do the really late 1813 Croatians. What I have now is suitable for the earlier ones.

Glengarry504 Jan 2013 1:17 p.m. PST

I believe the Perry's are planning to release plastic Prussian reservists.

Runicus Fasticus06 Jan 2013 10:27 a.m. PST

I am makeing saxons from the Perry plastics,and have posted here pictures of my saxon foot artillery I made useing perry and victrix parts.
I have had to shave a lot of fring off the shoulders ,but it is worth it.

Runicus

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.