Help support TMP

"War of the Ring : Ho do you defeat the Elves?" Topic

19 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the American Wargaming Message Board

Back to the Fantasy Discussion Message Board

1,260 hits since 4 Jan 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Private Matter Supporting Member of TMP04 Jan 2013 7:15 a.m. PST

I'm stuck and need advice from my fellow TMPers; how do you defeat elves in GW's War of the Ring game. I've been able to defeat the other armies in that game but so far after several years of playing I gave yet to beat an Elf army. I've tried numerous different things but none have worked and since one of the main people I play against always fields an elf army I want to at least have a chance winning. What army lists and composition can you recommend.

flicking wargamer04 Jan 2013 7:30 a.m. PST

Another elf army.

Personal logo Private Matter Supporting Member of TMP04 Jan 2013 7:43 a.m. PST

Thanks FW for the advice but I was hoping for something a bit more ………..

Personal logo CorpCommander Supporting Member of TMP04 Jan 2013 7:56 a.m. PST

The game is inherently broken. Look for incredibly dumb design loopholes and exploit the bloody hell out of them. What do you have for an Army? I can't say that every army can be munchkin stupid in strength but every Army can find combinations of things that are legal in the rules and dumb. That has been my experience with that game. Best to use it for scenarios rather than competitive fights, IMHO.

Xintao04 Jan 2013 8:08 a.m. PST

What CC said. I've never played but have read alot on the game. The force lists are ridiculously broken. Some of the combos that can be created are way way overpowered.

One thing, your asking for advice in a vacuum. You might want to list what forces you have and maybe what forces of the Elves gives you the most trouble.

Cheers, Xin

Personal logo Saber6 Supporting Member of TMP Fezian04 Jan 2013 8:16 a.m. PST

Balrogs?

DMoody Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member04 Jan 2013 8:30 a.m. PST

The secret is not in your army construction, but in terrain selection. Be sure to scatter the field with Sandies and Fudge Stripes. This will leave the elves scampering into the trees!

(It's been a long week. I had to go there.)

SECURITY MINISTER CRITTER Inactive Member04 Jan 2013 8:33 a.m. PST

Get the Elf player drunk?
Other than that, what those guys said makes sense.

SECURITY MINISTER CRITTER Inactive Member04 Jan 2013 8:35 a.m. PST

DMoody, that's a flogging offense!

Personal logo Mexican Jack Squint Sponsoring Member of TMP Fezian04 Jan 2013 8:52 a.m. PST

If you were in Britain, you could contact the National Elf Service.

Personal logo Cyrus the Great Supporting Member of TMP04 Jan 2013 10:19 a.m. PST

I take the maximum number of trolls allowed.

Personal logo Private Matter Supporting Member of TMP04 Jan 2013 10:37 a.m. PST

As for armies, I have Mordor, Isengard, Misty Mountains and Fallen Realms for my forces of darkness. The closest I've ever gotten to defeating the elves is with a 2000 point Fallen Realms army. I caught the Wood Elves in the open with a charge from my Kataphracts only to have Mumakil stampede back down my lines. In that game my opponent seemed to botch up every single magic roll he made.

I've really have tried numerous combinations with monster heavy forces seemingly killed the fastest. (Although this could be down to my normally crappy dice rolls)

Personal logo nazrat Supporting Member of TMP04 Jan 2013 11:02 a.m. PST

Dang, Squinty, that got me to actually laugh out loud. But I still refuse to use the letters… 8)=

Wolfprophet04 Jan 2013 1:14 p.m. PST

Uruk-Hai are pretty broken. Takes tons of them? Or Oliphants….

Alternatively, switch to Good and take Tom Bombadil! He can't attack, he can't be targeted. He can only move around the table. You're guaranteed to tie every game. Roflmao.

Crucible Orc Supporting Member of TMP04 Jan 2013 2:25 p.m. PST

toss the majority of the magic users.

in typical GW fashion, they missed the point of lord of the rings, which is not to have your wars won by a few magic users. i also found that most of the loopholes tended to involve the magic using characters in conjunction with either other magic users or specific characters (like aragorn or the 3 hunters unit)

I've found avoiding character magic users to be good way of avoiding the worst of the cheese. the one exception i have is khamul the easterling, because an all-easterling army only has 2 characters, him and the lord of blades.

i've beat galadrim and noldor armies with both rohan and Easterlings, so long as the elves aren't cheesed out with all the big magic using characters. if tehy are , jsut refuse to play. a cheesed out elf army is basically impossibly to beat.

wolf prophet, i always found my uruk-hai army to be the most over-pointed army in the game. the fight well against rohan ,but they seem to get stomped by any other army, even when cheesed out with hordes of trolls (i own an urukhai army as well)

14Bore04 Jan 2013 5:38 p.m. PST

Frenchies in a Empire game, Elves in a GW game.

Toshach Sponsoring Member of TMP04 Jan 2013 7:32 p.m. PST

What has worked for you? What hasn't? In the game that you describe your cavalry caught the Elves in the open. That's good. Maybe add more cavalry. On the other hand your Mumakil proably cost you the game. Next time ditch them for more cavalry or even arrow fodder.

Milites05 Jan 2013 10:58 a.m. PST

I'd have thought Sauron himself would have had a quite a good chance. GW ME is not Tolkeins world, more like Ringhammer!

Wolfprophet05 Jan 2013 10:31 p.m. PST

wolf prophet, i always found my uruk-hai army to be the most over-pointed army in the game. the fight well against rohan ,but they seem to get stomped by any other army, even when cheesed out with hordes of trolls (i own an urukhai army as well)

We've got a Haradrim and a uruk-hai player here who are both unbeaten. Not from lack of anyone trying with the cheatiest armies they can muster however…. Part of the problem is they always seem to roll inexplicably well for Priority. So, it's a chance thing.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.