Help support TMP

"Looking for a recommendation: Colonel Vincent" Topic

18 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the ACW Product Reviews Message Board

Back to the ACW Painting Guides Message Board

Back to the ACW Discussion Message Board

1,010 hits since 3 Jan 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

DavePauwels Inactive Member03 Jan 2013 11:55 a.m. PST

I'm wondering if anyone had a good figure recommendation for Strong Vincent. Ideally something very Little Round Top. I certainly appreciate any help,
Dave

Doug MSC Sponsoring Member of TMP03 Jan 2013 12:35 p.m. PST

What Scale?

Personal logo Der Alte Fritz Sponsoring Member of TMP03 Jan 2013 12:43 p.m. PST

His project is in 28mm size.

DavePauwels Inactive Member03 Jan 2013 12:54 p.m. PST

Thanks, yes- 25/28mm.

d effinger03 Jan 2013 5:01 p.m. PST

Dave,

If you are looking for a Vincent on foot that's easy!!! Sash and Saber has an officer model pulling his sword out of his scabbard. It is in the Iron Brigade line. Here's a link to the picture of the pack:

picture

The model is the top row, second from left.

Okay now… if you look at a picture of the 83rd Penn's monument at Gettysburg (on Little Round top) you will see almost the same exact pose of Strong Vincent himself. All you need to do is do a head swap and give the new head a Forage cap or Kepi, bushy side burns and you are done. The model has high boots just like the statue and everything! Vincent used to command that regiment before he was given brigade command. After the war the old veterans wanted to honor him so they sculpted him on top of their regimental monument.

Use this link to look it over:

link

Boy, that was easy. You should have just emailed me straight away. :)

Don

actionfront.blogspot.com

"Who ever saw a dead cavalryman?"

AICUSV Inactive Member03 Jan 2013 5:33 p.m. PST

Strong Vincent would have worn the double breasted frock coat of a field grade office. Not the single as worn by the company grade officers pictured above.

d effinger03 Jan 2013 5:58 p.m. PST

Yes, double but… it is as close as you can get. Besides, Dave is pretty good with 'fixin' things up like that if need be. :)

Don

d effinger04 Jan 2013 9:42 p.m. PST

Hey wait! I just double checked that officer model in question. I have several of them. It _IS_ double breasted even though it doesn't look like in in the S&S photo. Done! :)

Don

Personal logo Ivan DBA Supporting Member of TMP09 Jun 2013 8:08 p.m. PST

According to Don Troiani, Vincent left his sword with his horse, and was armed with only a riding crop.

1968billsfan Supporting Member of TMP14 Jun 2013 6:37 a.m. PST

I would recommend Col.Vincent, except for his age.

badger2214 Jun 2013 8:40 a.m. PST

I believe the riding crop was a recent birthday gft from his wife. I have a figure of him with it, sadly in 1/72nd

Owen

Pinny214 Jun 2013 8:47 p.m. PST

Something "very Little Round Top" , How about a casualty marker

TigerJon19 Jun 2013 3:55 p.m. PST

I'm not biggest fan of the quality of Redoubt stuff. I bought several packs early last year and the quality was dreadful (however, I hear they have improved due to new molds). There are some heads with kepi that would work perfect for Col. Vincent on the right body.

SashandSaber Sponsoring Member of TMP20 Jun 2013 4:43 a.m. PST

1st Corps has re-released their Vincent character including riding crop.

czarejs17 Jul 2013 8:47 a.m. PST

Not sure if your still looking, but here's my two cents. d effinger above is right S & S is the way to go, but he's got the wrong figure. I sure everyone is familiar with this image

I felt that the S & S Confederate skirmish line command figure on the top left below was the best pose.
A head and hand swap and a scratch built riding crop led to the following result.

Brooklyn Wargamer17 Jul 2013 11:13 p.m. PST

Nicely done. Great inspiration. Bravo.

Jorge

Timotheous18 Jul 2013 8:36 a.m. PST

No to mention giving the figure a shave.

^^ Well done, Sir!

czarejs18 Jul 2013 10:24 a.m. PST

Thank you. The shave only cost two bits :)

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.