Help support TMP

"Dutch Infantry 1590-1600" Topic

5 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Renaissance Discussion Message Board

527 hits since 3 Jan 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Bill N03 Jan 2013 7:08 a.m. PST

I think I understand how shot, pike and halbards were deployed during this period, but I can't figure out where officers and NCOs would be. Are they part of the pike block, divided between the pike and shot, or something else?

Griefbringer03 Jan 2013 10:42 a.m. PST

I checked Ian Heath's book on the 16th century armies, but the only thing he mentions about the placement of the officers is that captains where to be found in the front and lieutenants at the rear (except at charge, when both would lead from the front).

That said, typical period practice was that ensigns would placed somewhere in the central pike block.

The Tin Dictator03 Jan 2013 10:43 a.m. PST

In real life? Or in game terms?

In real life they were spread out among the troops under their command.

In games I usually have them with the pikes. But sometimes I'll add standard bearers, sergeants, and officers to other types of units like commanded shot or dismounted dragoons.

You're pretty safe in including them with any separate unit. So using your example, if my Halberd unit was a separate unit from the pikes I would probably add a flag and an officer… just for color.

DucDeGueldres04 Jan 2013 12:40 p.m. PST

From publications by a nephew of Prins Maurits van Nassau, Johann van Nassau, we know something about the deployment of a Dutch Battalion about 1600.
It consisted of 5 companies, deployed in 5 manches. A central manche of pikemen, flanked on both sides by a manche of musketeers and they again flanked on each side by a manche of arquebusiers.
The 5 company flags were centered in the midst of the pikemen and often guarded by halbardiers.
The captains stood in front of each manche. Behind them the sergeants, while each manche was closed from behind by a lieutenant, accompanied by a fifer. Each row of men was preceded by a corporal.
The drummers were positioned on the front corners of the battalion, to be able to reach as many men as possible with their signals. The most abled men and officers were to be positioned all around.

I hope this may shed some light on the theoretical deployment of a battalion. So for wargaming it's not all too logical to concentrate officers, standard and musicians on a central pike stand, although this may be more practical.

The Duke

Bill N05 Jan 2013 5:42 p.m. PST

Thank you your Grace and everyone else. Concentrated in the pikes would be easier, but I can work with this too.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.