Help support TMP

"Fanticide Review" Topic

10 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Fantasy Product Reviews Message Board

Action Log

03 Jan 2013 9:28 a.m. PST
by The Editor

• Removed from Fantasy Discussion board
  • Removed from American Wargaming board

1,357 hits since 3 Jan 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

indierockclimber03 Jan 2013 7:37 a.m. PST

We took a look at Fanticide by Alien Dungeon: link

Quick snippet:
"Fanticide is an informal skirmish-level fantasy wargame set in a bleakly whimsical fairy-tale universe. It looks built to be flexible, fun, and not entirely serious.

Fanticide is set in the land of Nowhere. Nowhere is a flat disk hanging in space (a la Discworld). In the center of Nowhere is the Hole, a rift in space and time that spits out detritus (and refugees) from other universes and realities. As a result, all sorts of strange, horrible things live in Nowhere."

picture

Check out the full review: link

PatrickWR03 Jan 2013 7:52 a.m. PST

Huh. Thanks for the review. As I expected, this game sounds like it's just a little too cute for its own good. And some of its novelty seems to come through cheeky stuff, like needlessly renaming stats when something simpler might have been more helpful (Give and Take vs. Attack and Defense, for example). But again, YMMV.

tyrela03 Jan 2013 8:44 a.m. PST

Its gangs of fun and I think the cuteness wears off when creeps are tearing limbs off. :)

If you have not tried it give it a shot it plays quick and enjoyable.

Ballyhoo03 Jan 2013 8:50 a.m. PST

My group has been having loads of fun with Fanticide! As the review points out, it is a great game for playing with your friends and has lots of options.

I think that there is a place for a tournament for Fanticide though (aside from the comment by the reviewer). The lists are balanced and could make for a fun event!

Personal logo ajbartman Supporting Member of TMP03 Jan 2013 10:46 a.m. PST

That's one of the great things about the game – simple. Not charts or multiple modifiers. Just a handful of things to remember and you're playing the game. Also, a great warband creation section which is going to allow me to use all those miniatures I bought for other games that I no long or never played.

mashrewba06 Jan 2013 4:09 a.m. PST

Very excited about these.
Can you put Chaos Space marines into it?

Firescale06 Jan 2013 11:15 p.m. PST

No reason why you couldn't as there are rules for motorcycles, lightsabers and chainsaws!

mashrewba07 Jan 2013 10:58 a.m. PST

Excellent -how about fire arms!!!
From what I've read these rules don't seem a million miles away from the cards/Big men concept used by the Lardies.

nightfoxll Inactive Member03 Apr 2013 2:43 p.m. PST

I have been playing it now for three weeks and my gaming group has had a ball with it. Simple and fun game mechanics which arent dragged into overly complex systems like battle tech and others were back in the day.

The broad and open background gives room for player content and it has the section on creating your own warband from any models is written well and keeps a balance preventing an over powering force in this skirmish game.

We are having some fun with some creating our own warbands (me a cyborg/robot warband and a friend an undead warband) and several of the guys are checking out some reaper and mantic models we never would have bought before but can now because we can use them!

Fear the Unicorn!

Capt Flash Supporting Member of TMP11 Jun 2013 7:42 p.m. PST

So are you guys still playing this? Any new insights? Thanks
-Edgar

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.