Help support TMP

"Matching Existing Paint Jobs" Topic

9 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the 19th Century Discussion Message Board

Back to the Renaissance Discussion Message Board

Back to the Ancients Discussion Message Board

Back to the Painting Services Message Board

647 hits since 2 Jan 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Robert Burke02 Jan 2013 10:22 p.m. PST

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a professional painter (preferably in the US) who is very good at matching historical paint jobs (mainly for 15mm figures)?

I have several historical units that I'd like to expand and I need someone who can match the existing paint jobs. The units range from Ancients up through the 19th Cen.

Thanks.

Personal logo Chortle Sponsoring Member of TMP Fezian02 Jan 2013 11:03 p.m. PST

Just a suggestion – if the basing is the same you tend not to notice differences with the figures.

Robert Burke03 Jan 2013 12:09 a.m. PST

I've been an indexer and an editor for over 25 years. I'm afraid I tend to notice minute details.

Wolfshanza Inactive Member03 Jan 2013 2:47 a.m. PST

I've had Col. Winkys service match paint and style on partial units. He's pretty good at it thumbs up he advertises here.

Personal logo fogsoldiers Sponsoring Member of TMP03 Jan 2013 3:37 a.m. PST

To match existing historical units we need some samples…but based in Italyevil grin

Chortle is right, same basing helps.

fogsoldiers.blogspot.com

fogsoldiers.it

sillypoint Supporting Member of TMP03 Jan 2013 4:43 a.m. PST

Sell existing partial unit, get the whole unit painted, what you may lose in funds, you'll gain in the satisfaction not noting minute irregularities.

ScottS03 Jan 2013 1:27 p.m. PST

I say this with no snark, but do you think that troops or the colors of their uniforms ever matched exactly? Especially "Ancients?"

Perhaps it might be possible to introduce new figures that are close, if not a perfect match, then intermingle them with the ones you already have.

Matheo03 Jan 2013 4:08 p.m. PST

I don't think the uniforms are the problem here: I'd be more concerned with skin tones, leather, wood etc. – i.e. same materials to be painted the same way.
Also, there are as many painting styles as there are painters – so shading/highlighting might differ to. And there are only a few painters who know how to imitate other person's style.

Lion in the Stars Supporting Member of TMP04 Jan 2013 3:09 a.m. PST

Skin tones vary greatly, even among a seriously homogenous society like Japan. I've seen skin tones from 'Halle Berry' to 'peaches&cream' in the same classroom.

I'd be more concerned about the painting style matching than the colors.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.