Help support TMP

"GW colors for US paras." Topic

7 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Painting Guides Message Board

658 hits since 2 Jan 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

bruntonboy02 Jan 2013 4:10 p.m. PST

Anyone suggest a suitable GW paint for Normandy campaign US paratroopers-GW is the only paint I can get hold off in my neck of the woods.

bruntonboy02 Jan 2013 4:12 p.m. PST

Oops' I mean colours of course and it is the main uniform colour I need help with.

Personal logo combatpainter Supporting Member of TMP Fezian02 Jan 2013 5:14 p.m. PST

Well, most pictures were in B & W. :)

Really, you can use any military green and give it some highlights. These uniforms were big time dull so you can't really go wrong. You can go brownish or Khaki. They all work. These things faded so quickly. After that it is anyone's guess what they looked like. I would encourage you look at some pics and go with your feeling. No one here has an absolute answer as there are no absolutes. :)

Try this:

link

Personal logo Meiczyslaw Supporting Member of TMP02 Jan 2013 8:34 p.m. PST

The parachute smocks that I've seen have been more brown than green. If it were me, I might go with the Steel Legion Drab and Tallarn Sand as the base/layer combo, with the Earthshade as the shade.

No recommendation on the dry to use, because I hate the darn things.

thosmoss03 Jan 2013 10:27 a.m. PST

I really enjoyed this article:

link

although I was paying attention to his Vallejo colors, he also suggests GW colors to use.

Personal logo combatpainter Supporting Member of TMP Fezian03 Jan 2013 11:07 a.m. PST

I like this comment:

I don't usually mix different colours to achieve my basic uniforms but this uniform, unfortunately, seems to defy any single colour in the entire vast Vallejo range. Eventually I settled on a mix of Middlestone VP882 + 20% US Dark Green VP893.

Wolfprophet03 Jan 2013 1:52 p.m. PST

Don't need to use a dry compound on anything. I hate them too, except etherium blue which I love for my dark blue kroot.

Honestly though, as someone who's used tons of Citadel paints on a wide number of things….

Vallejos are superior on some things…. German camo beige saved me from ever having to use kommando khaki ever again for an entire army.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.