Help support TMP

"Art for Mantic's Human Men at Arms" Topic

18 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Fantasy Discussion Message Board

976 hits since 1 Jan 2013
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Paragonicnova Inactive Member01 Jan 2013 12:34 p.m. PST

Looks decent, though they may have some competition from Perry/Fireforge if you're looking for cheap medieval humans

Garand01 Jan 2013 1:35 p.m. PST

Quite a bit too fantasy if you want to use these for historicals.

Damon.

Paragonicnova Inactive Member01 Jan 2013 1:37 p.m. PST

Oh well I meant medieval infantry for fantasy games

AppleMak01 Jan 2013 2:11 p.m. PST

I am, planning to use the Perry plastic WoTR sets as a basic human army. They also offer a number of alternative heads, or I am sure, some cross over conversion is possible.

Dropzonetoe Fezian01 Jan 2013 4:32 p.m. PST

Hate the look of the weapons, like the figure – will have to see something more than a drawing to make a final decision about it.

Little Big Wars Inactive Member01 Jan 2013 4:36 p.m. PST

The weapons do look a bit elfy for my tastes, but the figure itself looks pleasantly generic fantasy.

Spiffy Iguana Inactive Member01 Jan 2013 6:57 p.m. PST

They have a early-90's JRPG vibe that I rather like. I know I'll never build an army out of them, but I might use a set for RPGs and skirmish games. The Perry WoTR stuff is nice, and I love the Perrys for all things historical, but they really don't scale well with today's bulky fantasy figures.

krieghund02 Jan 2013 2:43 a.m. PST

The helmets are very similar to the ones you get with Mantics skeletons.

Chief Lackey Rich Supporting Member of TMP Fezian02 Jan 2013 7:28 a.m. PST

Could be handy for roleplaying & dungeoncrawl usage.

CooperSteveOnTheLaptop02 Jan 2013 7:55 a.m. PST

With suitable weapons, quite nice for Flash Gordon-esque retro scifi

ordinarybass Supporting Member of TMP03 Jan 2013 12:39 p.m. PST

I think the similarity with the skeletons is purposeful. After all, the skeletons are presumably resurrected soldiers, yes?

The figs look good to me. I really hope they get these done in plastic rather than restic.

Dawnbringer03 Jan 2013 12:43 p.m. PST

The last news out of Mantic was that they were going to be done is proper hard plastic, not the funny hybrid restic stuff.

Privateer4hire03 Jan 2013 7:51 p.m. PST

Any news on the WHEN these'll be coming out for public purchase?

Dawnbringer04 Jan 2013 9:56 a.m. PST

I don't think anything concrete and offical. The kickstarter stuff is due by 2nd quarter this year (to those who kickstarted, but I'd assume it'd hit retail soon after). However, given the delays that accompany hard plastic items, I'd not be supprised to see them be 3rd quarter.

Thomas Thomas04 Jan 2013 10:03 a.m. PST

They look a bit to Ren-Faire fantasy. Old Perry Brother's Bretonians and current WOTR plastics – on first take – seem much better.

Weapons silly. Boots generic fantasy.

Just ordered Firestorm foot seragents which look better for all purposes.

TomT

Paragonicnova Inactive Member04 Jan 2013 11:59 a.m. PST

It'll be plastic, but hopefully not goblin plastic. Those were utterly abysmal

Dawnbringer04 Jan 2013 2:07 p.m. PST

Thomas Thomas: Thing is though, Perrys and Fireforge will (or are) all ready out there, so there isn't much point for Mantic to just make a plain medieval human. They remind me of (or rather would fit in with) the good guys from the Heroes of Might and Magic V.

wminsing Supporting Member of TMP29 Jan 2013 1:11 p.m. PST

They have a early-90's JRPG vibe that I rather like.

Yea, that's the sense that I got as well. Might make good Knights of Hyrule for Legend of Zelda. Uh oh, I sense a new project brewing….

-Will

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.