Help support TMP

"The IAR-80/81" Topic

14 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Aviation Discussion Message Board

471 hits since 30 Dec 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP30 Dec 2012 9:39 p.m. PST

Not bad for Romanians at WW2.

"The prototype flew for the first time on 12 April 1939. The test pilot was cpt. av. Dumitru Popescu. It was presented to the public at the air show on 20 July and by the end of the year it had finished all the tests. A first order of 50 airplanes was given by the Ministry of the Air and Navy.

The IAR-80 was one of the best fighters in the world in 1939. Here is the report of the Luftwaffe major that tested it in March 1941:

"Take off and landing are very good. It's 20-30 km/h slower than the Bf-109E. The climb to 5,000 meters is equivalent. In a dogfight, the turns are also equivalent, although the long nose reduces the visibility. In a dive it's outclassed by the Bf-109E, because it lacks an automated propeller pitch regulator. It's a fighter adequate to modern needs."

…During the entire war, the IAR-80 (in all its variants) scored 539 confirmed kills, 90 probable and 168 on the ground. About 220 were lost in combat (to fighters and AAA) and in numerous accidents."

From
link

Main page wit more articles about planes used by Romanian Air Force.
worldwar2.ro/arr/?section=61

Are there a miniature model of this plane?
Anybody used them in wargames?.

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Amicalement
Armand

Fatman30 Dec 2012 11:40 p.m. PST

Hi Armand

The IAR-80 has been one of my favorite fighters since I found a 1/72 scale kit of it in a model shop,one of those old back street treasure caves you tended to find by accident :-P, while on holiday as a teenager. I still have a soft spot for the Romanians going so far as to research and create ADC's for the old Air Force/Dauntless system for the type.

The IAR-80 is available in most scales. 1/72 and above is covered by model kits,in 1/144th scale you can use kits but true North does one

link

I know there was a resin one in 1/200th scale which I think is still available

H&R do a nice one in 1/300th.

The two omissions are 1/100th and 1/600th rather unusual considering TDs coverage of minor air forces.

Keep up the good work and a Happy New Year when it comes.

Fatman

Kaoschallenged Inactive Member31 Dec 2012 12:45 a.m. PST

Not a bad aircraft for using a rear end tail section design inspired by the the Polish PZL.24. Robert

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP31 Dec 2012 10:52 a.m. PST

Many thanks for your guidance my friend Fatman!.
Robert… I was speculating a loooong thread with info about the plane… (big smile).
Happy new year my friends!.

Amicalement
Armand

Kaoschallenged Inactive Member31 Dec 2012 12:44 p.m. PST

LOL. Well the design had alot of aspects of the PZL.24 built into it. The Romanians were influenced by it while designing it .Robert

Pajaro Muerto01 Jan 2013 5:43 p.m. PST

To add to FatMan's info, Museum Miniatures also have a sleek and beautiful 1/285 model, which I have (unpainted still):

link

(They claim to be 1/300, but their Spits, Fw 190's, Me 109's, and Hurris look almost exactly as big as my Raidens and GHQs.)

—Rolando

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP01 Jan 2013 10:44 p.m. PST

Thanks for the info Rolando.
By the way, were you from?

Amicalement
Armand

Joe Legan Supporting Member of TMP03 Jan 2013 4:20 p.m. PST

Armand,

I have a squadron of IAR 80s in Squadron Forward. I posted a mission of them here: platoonforward.blogspot.com
Look under sept 2010.
The picture is of a scotia IAR 80. In my experience Heros and Ros products are hit and miss (sounds like this model is a good one) but Museum miniatures are always good. I like the scotia stuff too.
The Romanians are fun!
Cheers

Joe

Pajaro Muerto03 Jan 2013 7:00 p.m. PST

Armand, I'm from Puerto Rico :)

—Rolando

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP03 Jan 2013 9:36 p.m. PST

Ah!. Beautifull country my friend.

Joe, thanks for your link. I like it very much.

Amicalement
Armand

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP03 Jan 2013 9:37 p.m. PST

Ah!. Beautifull country my friend.

Amicalement
Armand

Pajaro Muerto04 Jan 2013 11:09 a.m. PST

Thank you! It's strange how sometimes you don't enjoy the place where you live as fully as you could.

Are you from France? I visited Paris once. Beautiful country as well. The best thing I learned was how to make café viennois! Certainly more conscious of aesthetics and planning than Puerto Rico!

—Rolando

Tango01 Supporting Member of TMP04 Jan 2013 10:12 p.m. PST

No my friend, I'm from Argentina.
I had lived in France as in other countries for a while.
You are right about that we don't enjoy our countries enought.

Amicalement
Armand

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.