Help support TMP

"calling all sculptors Advice needed CC's Tripedal dolly" Topic

123 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

Remember that you can Stifle members so that you don't have to read their posts.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Sculpting Message Board

Areas of Interest

General

Featured Hobby News Article

Featured Link

Featured Workbench Article

Basing for 15mm Stands

Personal logo Editor in Chief Bill The Editor of TMP Fezian shows one way to base 15mm figures on a stand.

Featured Profile Article

Cobblestone Corners Christmas Trees

Christmas trees for your gaming table.

Current Poll

4,685 hits since 28 Dec 2012
©1994-2022 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Pages: 1 2 3 

Zephyr109 Jan 2013 7:28 p.m. PST

"How may here are thinking of doing serious modifications to the base?"

Not me. I figure the end user can take pliers to it if they need to. ;-)

28mmMan09 Jan 2013 9:43 p.m. PST

Yep, I will be leaving the base alone.

:)

Armiesarmy10 Jan 2013 1:58 a.m. PST

Not me either. I simply plan to work on the top

TheCount10 Jan 2013 2:19 a.m. PST

I might just tweak a leg into another angle but other than that leaving as is.

Kyn ell10 Jan 2013 7:49 a.m. PST

I'm not sure sure yet, I'll let you know later! I don't reckon I'll be changing the position though.

WarrenB13 Jan 2013 1:06 p.m. PST

Can I assume this is an international thing? How far are you willing to ship the dollies?

If the answer's 'far', and if I'm still in time, I wouldn't mind having a bash at it either.

28mmMan13 Jan 2013 10:52 p.m. PST

I believe this came up before…as he is fronting all the bills, those getting extra minis and or are distant friends…we are volunteering to help with a paypal or related bump to cover the extra costs.

But I am not sure, wait for the man to answer up :)

WarrenB14 Jan 2013 9:36 a.m. PST

we are volunteering to help with a paypal or related bump to cover the extra costs.

No probs with that, if I'm allowed in. thumbs up

napthyme14 Jan 2013 8:27 p.m. PST

I ship international every day, so that is no problem, you will just need to be aware that the return time for greens maybe a month or more depending where you are in the world.

But if your not concerned about the contest aspect I can still get your dollies to work off of.

WarrenB15 Jan 2013 4:05 p.m. PST

I'm fine with that, thanks. All the other participants doing it for the love of the hobby got me all misty-eyed. :)

Armiesarmy17 Jan 2013 12:59 p.m. PST

For anyone interested

link

A google group for talkin about 15mm sci fi.

moonmin8218 Jan 2013 12:36 p.m. PST

Hi there. Saw about this on minisculpture.co.uk. If you're happy to ship to England I'm game. Sounds fun!

napthyme18 Jan 2013 4:54 p.m. PST

no wonder my ears are burning, were getting talked about…. :<)

28mmMan19 Jan 2013 7:16 p.m. PST

:)

napthyme24 Jan 2013 2:46 p.m. PST

Molds are now on there way to the caster…

TheCount25 Jan 2013 6:06 a.m. PST

thumbs up

napthyme26 Jan 2013 2:23 p.m. PST

ok, looks like Dan is MIA again due to work. So I will update the sculptors list here for him. Have I missed anyone?

1) Kyn Ell
2) Zephyr1
3) Eli Arndt
4) Chief Lackey Rich
5) Army's Armies Keith
6) 28mmMan Ray
7) The Count
8) WarrenB
9) moonmin82
10) Cacique Caribe

If everyone can LMK the quantities you wanted otherwise I will limit them to 5 for the first castings as this figure is going to be hard on molds.

WarrenB26 Jan 2013 5:26 p.m. PST

Excellent. :) Five should be plenty for me, though three or four would do if it's any easier on the moulds.

Also, what about cost contributions? Where, how much, etc.? Or will that be sorted out a bit later?

napthyme26 Jan 2013 7:46 p.m. PST

I'll know more once I find out what the casting costs are for these as there only 12 casts per spin of the mold.

And I have no idea what shipping will be especially with the rates change this weekend…

28mmMan26 Jan 2013 11:13 p.m. PST

:) Looking forward to getting them in hand.

TheCount27 Jan 2013 10:58 a.m. PST

I'll be happy with 5 (though 3 would seem appropriate).

Cheers,TC.

Zephyr127 Jan 2013 2:19 p.m. PST

3 or 4 for me (that should keep it under an ounce for a regular envelope. ;-)

Cacique Caribe27 Jan 2013 3:08 p.m. PST

Wow. This is really getting exciting!

Can't wait to see what the imagination mix of the group will come up with.

Dan

napthyme02 Feb 2013 10:08 p.m. PST

I have dollies tonight…

So I need contact info for everyone. I might have it for a few here, but not everyone.

PM me or e-mail hintzjim at hotmail dot com

WarrenB03 Feb 2013 7:15 a.m. PST

Email sent. :)

28mmMan03 Feb 2013 8:26 p.m. PST

PM sent!

Cacique Caribe03 Feb 2013 8:46 p.m. PST

PM sent.

Thanks!!!

Dan

Zephyr104 Feb 2013 3:08 p.m. PST

E-mail sent!

napthyme05 Feb 2013 11:19 p.m. PST

Sorry guys I wanted to work on this tonight and was just not up to par health wise.

Will shoot for tomorrow…

TheCount06 Feb 2013 11:55 a.m. PST

E-mail just sent! 'Hope your health has improved some in the meantime.

Regards, Rob aka TheCount.

napthyme06 Feb 2013 11:43 p.m. PST

looks like I still need to hear from moonmin82 as how to contact him…

Armiesarmy07 Feb 2013 5:07 a.m. PST

done

GriffinTamer08 Feb 2013 12:53 p.m. PST

Hello, just heard about this contest and was hoping to join in if it's not too late…? I'm sending Napthyme an email with my contact info, please let me know if there's anything else you need, or if I've missed my chance : (

napthyme08 Feb 2013 9:32 p.m. PST

@GriffinTamer Were just getting started so your right on time…

GriffinTamer09 Feb 2013 5:39 a.m. PST

Awesome! Hopefully you got my email with contact info, just let me know if there's anything else you need. (Postage or other contribution…?)

napthyme10 Feb 2013 10:57 a.m. PST

Yeap I got it, also had hard drive failure this weekend, so hopefully will still get these worked on today.

moonmin8212 Feb 2013 11:08 a.m. PST

Have sent an email :-) Let me know if it doesn't arrive!

napthyme13 Feb 2013 10:56 a.m. PST

I got it Paul. will start work on these today hopefully…

napthyme13 Feb 2013 11:50 p.m. PST

ok, we have 10 people now wanting dollies plus Dan, so looks like we have a project worth doing now. I have a rough pic here of the dollies made with my scanner.

picture

TheCount14 Feb 2013 3:06 a.m. PST

Excellent news, looks cool. Let the 3-legged race begin!

Cheers, TC.

WarrenB14 Feb 2013 4:10 p.m. PST

Excelsior!

napthyme15 Feb 2013 11:46 a.m. PST

I have sent messages to everyone, so let me know if you missed them or did not get them.

napthyme20 Feb 2013 11:47 p.m. PST

packages went out Wednesday, so especially those in the UK need to let me know when you get them.

GriffinTamer21 Feb 2013 8:21 p.m. PST

While we're all eagerly awaiting our packages… Any pointers on the sculpting from a technical perspective? I'm relatively new to the hobby, and what I've done so far has mostly been in 28mm scale, using epoxy putties; some of my sculpts I have cast at home using resin. So, not having done work for metal casting, are there any do's or don'ts I should be aware of to make sure my creations are reasonable to cast?
Also: I assume we'll be handling these as two part figures, with the legs separate from the torsos? I'm hoping my critters will be cool, but I also want them to be agreeable to work with! : P

napthyme22 Feb 2013 12:10 p.m. PST

The big thing is not to use things that will melt at low temps, so bits of plastic are out of the question the same with copper/lead.

You can use bits of sprue materiel from other mini's as it will hold up. Brass/bronze, iron, steal, are all fine to use as if you can find the right shape you need.

Otherwise green stuff, grey stuff, brown stuff and other 2 part epoxies are good to go.

The only thing with the sculpting is to watch and not make something that will need to be cast in parts. if this 3 legged piece had been in 28MM it would have been cast in 2 parts instead of 1 due to the wear and tear on the mold and difficulties getting the legs to fill properly.

So try to avoid anything with to many arms if at all possible. if you need advice on cast-ability then shoot me off an e-mail with your idea.

Zephyr122 Feb 2013 2:40 p.m. PST

Would 92%tin/7% antimony alloy work? That's what I cast my tiny guns and armatures in.

napthyme22 Feb 2013 8:45 p.m. PST

Yeap that should work fine if your using it already as a casting material. I think that is the standard non-lead casting material alloy that we have production masters made out of.

28mmMan24 Feb 2013 6:56 p.m. PST

My project donation is coming, I'm on military retiree schedule, so paid once a month…sounds cruddy due the small amount, but I had a surprise major dental bill for my daughter…but it is coming :)

GriffinTamer25 Feb 2013 3:52 p.m. PST

So… Will there be any more formal rules laid out for this competition?
(Deadline? Number of sculpts / entries allowed? Categories?)
I have at least two different concepts I'm looking forward to trying, if that's OK…
Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!

napthyme25 Feb 2013 3:59 p.m. PST

Yeah we will get more structure to this contest soon, just waiting for the guys in the UK to get there dollies now. Since the postal raise everything is taking longer to arrive, so I get a breather to get new releases done in the mean time.

No problem Ray, figured that was the delay with some of the sculptors. Were supposed to have a lot of snow this week, so things might not go out again until first of the month anyway.

Pages: 1 2 3