Help support TMP

"Pre dreadnaughts" Topic

13 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Naval Gaming 1898-1929 Message Board

804 hits since 28 Dec 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Old Jarhead28 Dec 2012 1:53 p.m. PST

Can anyone tell me the deck color fro battleshipss and cruisers prior to WW1.

Personal logo Texas Jack Supporting Member of TMP28 Dec 2012 2:15 p.m. PST

Thatīs quite a can of worms actually. Some would say something like deck tan (which to me isnīt tan at all!), while others would say a kind of reddish brown.

Personally, I decided years ago after much contemplation to stop contemplating and just paint the damn things light brown.

GildasFacit Sponsoring Member of TMP28 Dec 2012 3:06 p.m. PST

It varies with the deck material and the way the deck has been treated.

Traditional 'holystoned' wood is a pale dull cream to a washed out light brown, depending on the wood used.

Some ships had a composite laid over the decking – something akin to lino, I think. That was often a darker brown or even a muddy grey.

Varnished decks were not common but did exist – usually attempts at a protective finish that wasn't slippery and was low maintenance. Varied from dark, rich browns (over a teak deck) to yellowish browns.

Smaller vessels such as torpedo boats may have sections of metal grating deck – even the odd cruiser had bits of that. Often painted the same colour as the surrounding superstructure.

Even knowing all that, much of the time I don't know which ships had what and when, so Texas Jack's methodology isn't that bad an idea. I tend to do a class all with the same but sometimes different classes get different colours.

Old Jarhead28 Dec 2012 5:58 p.m. PST

Texas Jack,

Perfect answer fro me many thanks

Colin

Personal logo Texas Jack Supporting Member of TMP28 Dec 2012 6:35 p.m. PST

My pleasure. Life is complicated enough without looking to make it more so grin

dragon628 Dec 2012 10:43 p.m. PST

You might check this out link
The War Time Journal people do some nice stuff

Personal logo Texas Jack Supporting Member of TMP29 Dec 2012 3:52 a.m. PST

I like most of the recommendations on the WTJ site, except for the decks. I donīt think anyone can rightly say bleached bone was the color of MOST decks, and besides, to me it looks just plain ugly grin

The WTJ ships though, are the most beautiful 1/3000 pre-dreads I have ever seen.

Personal logo Martin Rapier Supporting Member of TMP29 Dec 2012 7:46 a.m. PST

Ships of her/his Majesty always have properly holystoned decks of course.

Otherwise YMMV, sloppy Pickelhaube wearing German types probably have dirty scuffed decks from marching up and down them in jackbots.

I shudder to think what the Russian use the decks for.

Allen5729 Dec 2012 4:08 p.m. PST

As pointed out decks varied. I would suggest that you paint different nationalities with different deck colors. Makes it easier to tell them apart.

Personal logo Only Warlock Supporting Member of TMP30 Dec 2012 5:40 p.m. PST

ROFLMAO Martin!

Old Jarhead01 Jan 2013 11:04 a.m. PST

Martin,

Russian decks a nasty brown color???

Colin

myrm1102 Jan 2013 7:43 a.m. PST

Particularly during Tsushima, so they say….

The Young Guard02 Jan 2013 10:14 a.m. PST

but then they were washed clean as they sunk

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.