Help support TMP

"How many of each? X-wing, Y-wing, Tie, Advanced Tie" Topic

23 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Star Wars Message Board

1,211 hits since 27 Dec 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo CorpCommander Supporting Member of TMP27 Dec 2012 9:46 a.m. PST

Right now I have 1 Y-Wing, 2 X-wing, 4 Tie and 1 Advanced Tie. How many do you have in your collection? Is it enough or do you find you just never put that many on the table at once?

What is a good number of fighters for a 4 player game?

darthfozzywig Supporting Member of TMP27 Dec 2012 10:09 a.m. PST

I have exactly what you have. :)

I might get another X-wing and 2 Y-wings. Can't wait for the TIE Interceptors.

Chief Lackey Rich Supporting Member of TMP Fezian27 Dec 2012 10:18 a.m. PST

Depends on the point value you're trying to play, which is connected to how long you want a game to last. 100 points on a side takes somewhere around an hour between experienced players – could be as little as 30 minutes for two quick players, and longer for multiple players due to table talk, bumbling into collisions, trying to coordinate plans, etc. At that level, a "dream collection" would be something like:

4 X-Wings
4 Y-Wings
12 TIE
4 Advanced TIE

At retail, that would be about $360 USD, but no one pays retail, and hardly anyone is nutty enough to buy all that even at discount.

Realistically, you don't need that many of each very often – those counts represent about the max of each type you could field if that was all you put on the table. Mono-type forces are certainly viable right now (eg TIE swarms) but that may be changing with Wave 2. There are several area-effect damage sources coming, and they make taking lots of fighters (4 for Rebs, 8 for Imps) a lot less attractive. The bigger ships higher costs will also reduce the number of fighters used in an game, and the TIE interceptor is so good it's likely to replace most of the standard TIEs in a swarm configuration. The A-Wings are likely to run to higher average costs too – they're slightly cheaper than X-Wings at base cost, but it looks to me like you want them carrying missiles, which drives the cost up.

Personal logo CorpCommander Supporting Member of TMP27 Dec 2012 10:26 a.m. PST

I had heard of the Wall of Tie Fighters approach. I can see upping to 6 tie fighters and adding 2 more Y-wings for an attack group. And since we are going that route 2 more X-wings. That would give me: 4 X-Wings, 6 Tie Fighters, 3 Y-wings and 1 Advanced Tie. I understand from the extended universe that Darth wasn't the only one with the Advanced Tie but it just seems wrong to let anyone else fly it! Aesthetics aside, I may make a group of 3 of them if I find a lot of other players in the area.

Personal logo richarDISNEY of the RDGC Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member27 Dec 2012 10:27 a.m. PST

Currently,
3 x-wings
2 y-wings
5 ties
1 tie advances.

No more for me till wave 2 comes out…
eggnog

Personal logo JRacel Supporting Member of TMP27 Dec 2012 10:31 a.m. PST

I currently have the following:

6 X-Wing
3 Y-Wing
8 TIE
3 Advanced TIE

Seems more than enough until Wave 2 shows up . . . .

Jeff

Mako1127 Dec 2012 10:34 a.m. PST

6 – 12 fighters should be decent for a good game, for four people.

Twice as many Imps as Rebel fighters, as a general guideline.

Personal logo CorpCommander Supporting Member of TMP27 Dec 2012 10:40 a.m. PST

Thanks for the info. I was NOT going to buy into this… then when I was at Target I saw the base game for $27 USD and bought two of them. Born sucker. Oh well. It is a fantastic game.

altfritz Supporting Member of TMP27 Dec 2012 10:57 a.m. PST

hardly anyone is nutty enough to buy all that even at discount.

And you call yourself a gamer! ;-P

Personal logo Parzival Supporting Member of TMP27 Dec 2012 11:08 a.m. PST

I've got 6 TIEs (Gonna swap one for an Advanced TIE)
3 X-wings
2 Y-wings

I'm thinking I'd like to have the following, simply for cinematic purposes:

EMPIRE
5 or 8 TIEs
1 Advanced TIE (and ONLY one… that's Vader's ship.)
2-4 TIE Interceptors
1-2 TIE Defenders (Yes, not released, announced or even hinted at, but you *know* they're coming… these guys are geeks like us.)
1-2 Imperial Shuttles (again, not announced, but I'll use a model if I have too.)

The above matches the 3-man flights fielded in EP IV, with Vader as the third man in the final flight. This assumes a standard Empire TIE fighter wing is divided into 3-ship groups. It also reflects the rarity of Interceptors and Defenders, and acknowledges that the Advanced TIE is Vader and nobody else. (That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.)

REBEL
5 X-wings
2-4 Y-wings
3 A-wings
2-4 B-wings (when/if announced)
1 Millenium Falcon
2-4 Rebel Shuttles/Transports (if announced)
2-4 Z-95 Headhunters (when/if announced)

This matches the makeup of Red Squadron in Ep IV ("Red 5 standing by…"), what appears to be the typical Y-wing 2-ship grouping, and reasonable grouping expectations for A-wings and B-wings, which again are rarer ships, as would be the obsolete Z-95s. And of course there's only one Falcon, even if the Corellian Freighter is a standard design ("I've made some special modifications myself…" — Han Solo).

I figure with a "reinforcements" policy in place (a new group can fly in after all of another group are destroyed, if no victory conditions have been met), this should allow players to reasonably mimic any of the cinema actions, give sufficient variety for two player games, and allow for huge hairy furballs involving lots of players (suitable for a convention game).

So far, I've gotten all my components essentially FOR FREE. (How? I use a Discover card, so I've converted my cashback points into Barnes & Noble gift cards, combined that (which is already a 10% discount) with B&N e-mail coupons, and stocked up on the cheap.) I figure I can continue this through next year, and along with gifts from family (my mother-in-law gave me three ships for Christmas), build up the force I want without hitting the family budget at all.

(Note that I *do* pay off Discover in full every month— I don't believe in ever paying interest on a credit card purchase. That's a fool's game. But I'll let them pay me for my budgeted purchases, if they want. evil grin)

Chief Lackey Rich Supporting Member of TMP Fezian27 Dec 2012 11:14 a.m. PST

hardly anyone is nutty enough to buy all that even at discount.

And you call yourself a gamer! ;-P

I did say "hardly anyone" didn't I? :)

TGerritsen Supporting Member of TMP27 Dec 2012 11:25 a.m. PST

Get what you feel is right. I have 6 TIEs, 3 X-Wings, 3 Y-Wings and 2 TIE Advanced. It's plenty for most fights. Some have more, some have less.

Usually 2 TIES to one Xwing or 3/2 TIES vs Y-Wings is a good rule of thumb.

Personal logo Only Warlock Supporting Member of TMP27 Dec 2012 11:26 a.m. PST

1 Y-Wing, 2 X-wing, 4 Tie and 1 Advanced Tie, 1x Custom Millennium Falcon, 1x Custom Rebel Transport, 2x Custom B-Wing, 2x Custom TIE Bombers

Mako1127 Dec 2012 12:10 p.m. PST

I recommend at least 1 x Tie Advanced, 5 x Ties (6 – 8 if you want to play competitively, or want the total used in the Death Star defense), 4 x X-Wings, and 2 – 3 x Y-Wings.

That way, you can run many, if not most of the famous Death Star scenes, as desired, plus have enough for some good pitched battles.

From Wave 2, sounds like at least 2 x Tie Interceptors and 2 x A-Wings are in order, for mixed formations, plus the Millenium Falcon and Slave I, if you are interested in those.

I definitely hope the Tie Defender and B-Wing will be released as well, since they are good options too, for some different types of fighters.

I wrote FFG to inquire about Wave 3+, and received a note back that the person couldn't really comment (got the impression that he isn't in the loop either. However, he did say their future plans are awesome, so we will just have to wait and see.

Personal logo Parzival Supporting Member of TMP27 Dec 2012 12:17 p.m. PST

I forgot the TIE Bombers. Yeah, when those are announced/released, I'll want two.

Personal logo Parzival Supporting Member of TMP27 Dec 2012 12:19 p.m. PST

Oh, at the end of the rule book they mention some "large" plans (they bolded and italicized the type). One gathers they're planning some sort of big ship or a Death Star playmat and accessories.

Moonbeast27 Dec 2012 12:43 p.m. PST

In my collection:
18 X-Wings
12 Y-Wings
12 Tie Advanced
26 Tie fighters

I plan on picking up from wave 2:
14 Tie Interceptors
14 A-wings
2 Firespray
2 YT-1300 freighters
I have future plans on several massive battles lasting most of the day with some friends. Soon.

thosmoss27 Dec 2012 1:25 p.m. PST

My collection:

8 TIEs
3 TIE Advanced
4 X-Wings
3 Y-Wings

The collection has proven to be surprisingly versatile, with the few times I've wanted more easily covered by what my friends have brought over.

Also have paper models from here:

momirfarooq.webng.com

focusing on TIE Scouts, TIE Bombers, TIE Interceptors, and a Lambda shuttle. All of these I hope to work into scenarios sometime soon.

Toaster27 Dec 2012 2:20 p.m. PST

4 X-Wings
2 Y-Wings
2 A-Wings
2 B-Wings
2 E-Wings
1 YT-1300
1 YT-2400

6 Ties
3 Tie Interceptors
2 Tie Advanced
2 Tie Defender
2 Imperial Gunboats
1 Lamda Shuttle

All scratchbuilt in 1/300 instead of 1/270 butthey work fine with the official ships.

Robert

afilter27 Dec 2012 2:22 p.m. PST

I am trying to stick with the minimalist approach with this game. Currently we have been playng only 100pt games at home. With the addition of a 2nd core set and some expansions from Santa we are up to the following:
6 Ties
2 Tie advanced
4 X-Wing
2 Y-Wing
1 Slave 1 (Courtesy of KRT)

All said and done this was two core sets and 2 of each expansion.

This allows us to mix it up and gives us some good matches. Really looking release of Wave2 and initially lan to add
2 Tie Interceptors
2 A-Wing
1 Falcon

My guess is we will eventially have 4 of each of the Wave 2 fighters once we have a chance to play with them.

Jovian1 Inactive Member27 Dec 2012 2:23 p.m. PST

1 Millenium Falcon

vojvoda Inactive Member27 Dec 2012 7:31 p.m. PST

My sons and I are kind of in an arms race. I have 5 more ties and 5 more Rebels (3X, 2Y wings) comming off a deal here on TMP,
Right now we are at 25 Tie Fighters, 6 Tie Advanced, 16 X Wings and 4 Y Wings. Got a Revelle MF, and 2 F-toy Shuttles.

We are running two Tie Adv and two Tie Interceptors against four X Wings in larger scale, and I have been pulling out my Galoob 20-25mm ships as well. I think I have about two dozen of X and Tie and many Y wings and Tie Advanced to do larger scale.

We do big battles and each can handle serveral flights of three ships each. Battles run about two and half to three hours.

I have at least that many in SWMB series as well.

You can do some great 100 point games with as little as four ships to six/seven/eight ships per side.

Large scenario play is more for club games and conventions.

VR
James Mattes

Delthos28 Dec 2012 11:47 a.m. PST

I have 8 TIE Fighters, 4 TIE Advanced, 6 X-Wings, and 4 Y-Wings. I may pick up two more TIE Fighters and 2 more X-Wings.

I'll definitely be picking up a Millennium Falcon, a Slave 1, and probably at least 4 A-Wings and 4 TIE Interceptors.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.