Help support TMP

"Look, Caesar, It's the Carthaginians" Topic

5 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Fantasy Battle Reports Message Board

Back to the Ancients Battle Reports Message Board

766 hits since 27 Dec 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

surdu2005 Sponsoring Member of TMP27 Dec 2012 5:01 a.m. PST

We had a nice play test last Friday of LSNC: Fantasy, Ancients, and Mediaeval.

picture

See more information at: bucksurdu.com/blog/?p=1525

The white labels on the bases are there for play testing. Once we get closer to "final" we print those on paper that blends into the ground cloth better.

You can get more information on the entire family of rules at: link

Buck Surdu

Chris Palmer Supporting Member of TMP27 Dec 2012 6:15 a.m. PST

Looks like it was a fun game. Wish I could have been there.

Personal logo elsyrsyn Supporting Member of TMP27 Dec 2012 6:24 a.m. PST

Good looking game. I look forward to hearing more as the rules progress.

Doug

Caesar27 Dec 2012 7:14 a.m. PST

How do the rules encourage players to maintain battlelines?

surdu2005 Sponsoring Member of TMP28 Dec 2012 1:53 p.m. PST

Ave, Caesar!

I will try to answer your question; however, the answer really involves a number of nuances to the rules that encourage good behavior, rather than a series of proscriptive or prescriptive rules than enforce good tactics. First some philosophy: I think that rules should allow things that are physically possible, even if they are bad tactics. The rules should provide penalties for bad tactics not preventive measures to guard against them.

So what encourages good behavior?

- First, units (bases) are allowed to turn at the beginning of the move, but then must move in a straight line. Keeping linear formations makes it difficult to enemy units to get desired flank attacks on your formations.

- You must have 1.5 inches (40mm) between friendly bases in order to enable units to move past ("through") each other. Non-linear formations will often confound this.

- Units (bases) drop back 3" if they do not win a melee (there is no "locked in contact" melee result). Putting two lines closer together or having goofy looking formations can cause all kinds of cascading effects, including morale checks and other things.

- Morale is rolled by "brigade." (We're not sure what to call this first collection of units, since it differs by army and period.) In any event, a collection of four to six units can fail morale and withdraw at the same time. This makes it VERY important for a player to line up brigade in depth to plug holes.

- Units drop out of melee if they don't cause more damage to the enemy than they received (there are nuances here, but I'm only hitting the tops of the waves). This makes it important for players to keep a second rank, even within the same "brigade" to plug holes.

- The Romans have a special, optional rule that enables them to switch the front and second ranks of "brigades" in an activation. Again, you need to be in mostly linear formations in order to invoke this rule.

In reading back through this, I'm not sure that the above explanation fully answers your question. Suffice to say at this point that players are rewarded for keeping reasonably orderly lines.

Buck

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.