Help support TMP

"Any suggestions for 3D printing software (.stl output) ?" Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to The Industry Message Board

Back to the Sculpting Message Board

463 hits since 16 Dec 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

CraigH16 Dec 2012 6:36 p.m. PST

I was using ViaCAD and liked it but due to a hard drive crash and discs getting "lost in a move", I need to get a replacement.

I like Via for how it works with mechanical objects but can't see doing humans with it. However, would any software be good at both ?

I keep looking at zBrush but the price tag is a bit intimidating mainly due to the risk of "I'll never get this to work !" factor. I think they offer a cheaper download that might be worth a try.

Poser has been suggested too – but I think it is only good for humans, not mechanicals.

Any advice appreciated !

Graycat Supporting Member of TMP16 Dec 2012 7:28 p.m. PST

I've been using Rhino; I did a number of the SJ Games Ogre miniatures using it. It is user friendly, but is best for machines. I've seen very nice 'soft' subjects and mechanicals both done with zBrush, but don't have the money to invest in it ( that money having gone into keeping Rhino up to date).

Darby E17 Dec 2012 8:14 a.m. PST

if you are looking for direct .stl output zBrush is about the only software that EASILY handles hard and soft subjects. Rhino is good for hard, and has direct stl. Silo can do both hard and soft but it can be really hard to do hard edges. Pretty good for figures. Don't know how well blender handles soft bodies, but you can't beat the price.

Personal logo Goober Supporting Member of TMP17 Dec 2012 11:31 a.m. PST

Blender has a pretty steep learning curve and some of it is a bit counter intuitive. Haven't tried Rhino, but heard good things.

G.

PapaSync17 Dec 2012 1:40 p.m. PST

Has you taken a look at Sketchup?

link

8)

Darby E18 Dec 2012 12:17 p.m. PST

Sketchup doesn't export to .stl directly, and if you don't know what you're doing and have double-sided polys or some tat are not knit together you can get into a heap of trouble. It also doesn't do organics (heck, it even has trouble with getting curves to look curvy!)

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.