Help support TMP

"1 eme Carabineers" Topic

12 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonic Gallery Message Board

715 hits since 14 Dec 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Paint Pig14 Dec 2012 1:05 a.m. PST

Pete's new blog

link

Lord Raglan Inactive Member14 Dec 2012 3:00 a.m. PST

Dave,

I love the paint job!!!

Foundry figures?

How do these compare in size to Perry metal cavalry?

Raglan

Paint Pig14 Dec 2012 3:23 a.m. PST

Sorry I can take no credit for these m'lud, just posting for my mate. I have put a few 12lber rounds through them on occasion.

Contact Pete through the link above he will be more than pleased to answer all your questions. I somtimes paint one or two figures for him and I think the Perry's are a little larger but that may be an illusion as they are not as stocky.

regards
dave

Lord Raglan Inactive Member14 Dec 2012 3:53 a.m. PST

Dave,

Despite loving FR and Perry, I don't like the metal FR Carabineers and Perry plastics (in fact I don't like any plastic models). Therefore I would be interested to see if Foundry Carabineers compare in size to metal Perry Cuirassiers.

Raglan

dam040914 Dec 2012 6:57 a.m. PST

I have Foundry cuirassier and Perry metal cuirassier. I have found that the Foundry are a little larger and bulkier than the newer Perry figs. I am not comfortable putting them on the same stand.

El Torre Inactive Member14 Dec 2012 7:59 a.m. PST

Splendid: top quality conversions and painting. Thanks for sharing.

Really, you just can't beat certain of the Foundry figure ranges for detail, quality of sculpting, and ease of painting. Those Austrians (on the new blog) will put ANY other unit on the table to shame. The horses and conversion work are a real stroke of genius; he's made a unique and beautiful regiment that is a product of individual, personal craftsmanship… That's why I love this hobby!
And they're metal too, which many of us prefer.

Seriously thinking about trying the same with their Russian Napoleonic hussars and cossacks, especially by converting cossack & casualty figs from the Crimean war range, but I'd have to buy separate SYW packs.

Man, I used to love foundry figs… Still do, I guess!

Thanks again.

Personal logo Condotta Supporting Member of TMP14 Dec 2012 5:18 p.m. PST

Paint Pig, thanks for posting Pete's work. He really has an eye for detail, such as the difference in the troopers' cuirass from the officer's. I do wish sculptors would create trumpeters without their horn stuck in the ear of the figure beside them.

Ashenduke14 Dec 2012 9:19 p.m. PST

Great figures.

Wargameshc Supporting Member of TMP15 Dec 2012 8:34 a.m. PST

Fantastic looking Carabiniers. Thanks for sharing!

Victorious Secret Inactive Member15 Dec 2012 7:08 p.m. PST

Hi Paint Pig,

Your friend Pete paint beautifully. A real treat to see his work. Please keep them coming!

VS

deadhead16 Dec 2012 12:03 p.m. PST

Condotta, how much do I agree with you? I can understand the moulder's problem, easier to have the trumpet off to the side for a one piece casting, but it must be so annoying to ride next to this chap! I do love the Perry cuirassier trumpeter who, just for once, has slung his trumpet and drawn his sword. A great chance to do the lace on a more dynamic pose!

The painting is amazing.

Foundry figs are that bit more chunky and Perrys', at their best, are more anatomically correct. But of course their designs appear in both ranges, as do their howlers. I am currently working on Perry Dragoons of the Guard and the command three (brilliant) are a good six inches taller than the pack of three troopers with shouldered swords (Hobbits, recycled figs from countless similar).

The Carabiniers of Perrys' appear only in plastic (weep) as alternative heads for the French heavy cavalry in breast plates. It works for cuirassiers, but the portmanteau is wrong…square not round…you can get around that. The heads though, they are too two dimensional….flat. Put them next to Perry metal cuirassiers, no hope!

kev1964 Inactive Member16 Dec 2012 12:47 p.m. PST

Fantastic art work.

Personal logo VonBlucher Supporting Member of TMP18 Dec 2012 11:45 a.m. PST

Dave,
Peter did a fantastic job on these.

John

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.