Help support TMP

"Early WW2/Interwar in 15mm?" Topic

16 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

Back to the Interwar (WWI to WWII) Message Board

Back to the WWII Models Review Message Board

861 hits since 13 Dec 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Gasmasked Mook13 Dec 2012 3:15 p.m. PST

I have been thinking of getting into WW2 company-level gaming for a while (15mm seems to be a good option) but most of the manufacturers seem to focus on the later war. I will admit there was some pretty awesome kit by that point but my interest is in the earlier stages, back when most of Europe still had one foot in the Great War and the nature of combined arms and armoured warfare was still being defined. Poland and a fictional war in Czechoslovakia are of particular interest although the Invasion of France and the Sino-Japanese War would also be cool.

Now, I do not pretend to be a great scholar of the period. I really don't care too much if the Germans are wearing 1941 uniforms instead of 1937 (or whatever) or if the shape of their gasmask canisters is off. So long as they have anti-tank rifles instead of Panzerfausts and other obvious things, I will be happy.

So… Anyone know of a good place to look for 15mm Germans, Poles, Czechs (long shot), Nationalist Chinese (even more of a long shot) or Japanese which meet these demanding criteria?

And yes, I am aware that the middle three did not really change that much over the course of the war.

rvandusen13 Dec 2012 3:22 p.m. PST

Peter Pig has Germans, French, Dutch, and Japanese. Poles are available from Battlefront and at least three others. Chinese from Eureka Miniatures

Cyclops Inactive Member13 Dec 2012 3:39 p.m. PST

link
Old Glory has the Germans and Japanese at good prices.

(Stolen Name) Inactive Member13 Dec 2012 3:43 p.m. PST

Peter Pig has most of what you need

Personal logo Buckeye AKA Darryl Supporting Member of TMP13 Dec 2012 4:00 p.m. PST

Poles, Belgians, Dutch, early war Germans…all available from True North. They have more Poles than most companies have Americans or Germans!

link

GrumpyOldMan13 Dec 2012 4:07 p.m. PST

Hi GM

Here is the FoW discussion on Slovaks (pratically identical to Czechs):- link

Peter Pig does Italians and Czech helmets so that could be an option for Czechs:-

picture

picture

Some of the SCW figures could also come in handy for other minor nations:-

picture

picture

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Gasmasked Mook13 Dec 2012 4:49 p.m. PST

Thanks, especially for the Old Glory and Eureka links as well as the resource on the Slovaks. I have been itching for a battle between the Wehrmacht (equipped with Panzer IIs) and the Czech Army with the LT vz 38. It will be interesting to see the Germans making do with inferior armour for once; Tiger tanks always seemed to take the fun out of playing tank battles.

Personal logo Martin Rapier Supporting Member of TMP14 Dec 2012 3:09 a.m. PST

As above, there are loads of options for early/interwar figures, Peter Pig in particular being a rich source. Have a look at the SCW and late WW1 ranges too. For Germans all you need is guys with jackboots and MG34s.

Anti-tank rifles were pretty high tech in 1936….

The British Army only adopted battledress, 37 pattern webbing and Brens in the very late 1930s, so late WW1 figs will do for much of the period.

Nick H Inactive Member14 Dec 2012 3:42 a.m. PST

Forged in Battle do Poles as well.

(Stolen Name) Inactive Member14 Dec 2012 4:57 p.m. PST

Oh yes FiB to some nice EW French, Germans and Brits too

Wayne L03 Jan 2013 6:56 a.m. PST

No one seems to have mentioned Flames of War for Poles, French and Fins. My early war Germans & Brits were Flames of War vehicles and Peter Pig infantry before I sold them all last year. Also take a look at Peter Pig Russian Civil War you might find some useful figures in that range as well.

BF Andy03 Jan 2013 7:24 a.m. PST

if you stick to 10mm you can get all the obscure stuff from Pithead miniatures and pendraken

(Stolen Name) Inactive Member03 Jan 2013 1:25 p.m. PST

Wayne the reason nobody mentioned BF is their Poles and French are closer to 20mm – the Finns OTOH are quite nice

LukeR7804 Jan 2013 10:56 a.m. PST

Forged in Battle have just put some picture of their upcoming dismounted Polish cavalry packs on their facebook page. They are going to be available with both caps and helmets. Very nice looking models indeed.

Lewisgunner Supporting Member of TMP04 Jan 2013 4:22 p.m. PST

Peter Pig will, if you request I break packs so you can have particular figures. It costs a bit more, by the staff there are gamers and understand that if you are doing Slovaks for 1940 using their SCW figures in Czech helmet then you really want the figures in put tees, not long trousers,
.Roy

Tgunner14 Jan 2013 8:14 p.m. PST

One more source for Japanese is Eureka. Their 15mm line is very nice.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.