Help support TMP

"When did company platoon commanders get the sd kfz 251/10?" Topic

11 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Discussion Message Board

Back to the Flames of War Message Board

Back to the WWII Scenarios Message Board

Back to the WWII Models Review Message Board

1,097 hits since 12 Dec 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Archeopteryx Inactive Member12 Dec 2012 7:26 a.m. PST

stupid question, but wondered if these were issues from the outset, or came along later – and if so when? Am building a 9th Panzer historical force fro period winter 41 to winter 42… muchas gracias

Personal logo BrianW Supporting Member of TMP12 Dec 2012 7:53 a.m. PST

Apparently there is some argument over this. The most commonly cited website says they were introduced in 1940. However, I found a discussion over at the Axis History Forum
link
that has the following citation:

"You should look at the reliable authors Doyle and Jentz. In Panzer Tracts No.15-2 they state "that ONE Entwicklungsstueck (development piece) was delivered in May 1941. Mass production had delivered 80 by July/August 1941"."

Doyle and Jentz seem to be pretty good on this sort of thing, so I would probably go with that. Others will probably be along to dispute this, but it does seem that your force might have some.
BWW

Archeopteryx Inactive Member12 Dec 2012 7:53 a.m. PST

That should say shutzen company platoon commanders

Archeopteryx Inactive Member12 Dec 2012 7:54 a.m. PST

Brilliant thanks… I'll take a look at AHF too

Gary Kennedy12 Dec 2012 7:55 a.m. PST

Good question, think it's come up before on TMP and someone may have found a definitive answer. The first time they appear on the authorised organisation tables is Nov 1941, which should cover your winter 1941 onwards timeframe.

Gary

Archeopteryx Inactive Member12 Dec 2012 7:59 a.m. PST

Thanks again Gary. looking at the divisional history they did not refit until after Barbarossa- spring 42, so probably had them for Stalingrad but not in 41 – maybe?

donlowry12 Dec 2012 11:37 a.m. PST

Keeping in mind that there was only 1 armored AFV company (3-4 platoons) per panzer division in '41, 80 of them is quite a few.

Archeopteryx Inactive Member12 Dec 2012 1:13 p.m. PST

yes that makes sense, if around 20 panzer divs, 80 would give each platoon 1 in time for Barbarossa…

Rod I Robertson Supporting Member of TMP12 Dec 2012 3:04 p.m. PST

Have a look here:
link
I think they existed as informal field modifications before becoming production models.
Rod Robertson

brucka12 Dec 2012 9:06 p.m. PST

Took a long time to save all those 'Green Shield' stamps.

Here claims 1940
link

Personal logo Martin Rapier Supporting Member of TMP13 Dec 2012 3:24 a.m. PST

I love the idea that 80 vehicles is 'mass production'.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.