Help support TMP

"Exoshift - Scifi Mass Battles rules draft" Topic

8 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the SF Discussion Message Board

Back to the Game Design Message Board

887 hits since 8 Dec 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Turtle08 Dec 2012 12:33 p.m. PST

So I've been developing a science fiction, mass battle miniatures game and have gotten some progress along the rules.

It's more fantastical science fiction, but with an air of plausibility. No psionics or space magic, but there's stuff that can come close to that with the whole, "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

However, I'm mainly a 3D artist, and a writer secondary. I've made some and commissioned more really great artwork for the game, an example of which is below.

picture

I'd like to get some opinions on where these rules are headed. The full rules, upon the game's release, will always be available for free online to everyone, as well as certain army lists.

Exoshift Rules v0.34 in PDF format

Exoshift Rules v0.34 in DOC format

Also, I am currently looking for paid contract work for this game, including writing fiction and rules. As well as commissioned artwork. Please send portfolio links to: anthony@exoshift.org

Space Monkey08 Dec 2012 12:52 p.m. PST

I like that drawing.

Chief Lackey Rich Supporting Member of TMP Fezian08 Dec 2012 2:04 p.m. PST

Yes, nice looking piece there.

Turtle08 Dec 2012 2:34 p.m. PST

Not pictured are the other alien species wearing similar armor and equipment. Let me put up a bit of fiction about Exoshift's "human" based faction:

Humanity received its first hints to the larger galactic society when its first FTL equipped ships ventured beyond the local cluster. There, they began picking up the equivalent to FTL slow band communications, the contents of which were undecipherable.

As humanity progressed outwards, they began finding the smallest traces of extraterrestrial life, leftover outposts, discarded trash at landing sites, and other detritus. This culminated in a landmark event in Sol history, the finding of the alien refugee fleet.

Having fled from aggressors years before, they were stranded and running out of supplies. The aliens were wary when the unidentified human ships approached bearing none of the markings of any known galactic civilization, but also saw an opportunity.

A deal was struck, the details of which lost to time, but what is known is that the population of the fleet was eventually allowed to settle on Earth and its colonies, in exchange, Humanity confiscated all the ships, technologies, and information present in the fleet.

This influx of people and cultures jump started the fledgling empire, but it was not without problems. Decades of xenophobia, political and cultural unrest wracked the combined populations. As generations passed, some species began to see these worlds as their home too, and desired a place within. The struggle was difficult, but many eventually won a position in society, government, and other institutions. But it would take much more to make them equal…

As this new society dealt with those issues, scientific progress raced on. Humanity had gained access to a treasure trove of technology. New or scavenged advances in energy production, weaponry, materials, waste management, entertainment, all fields of science and commerce benefited. However, the most influential finding was also the least extraordinary, they discovered the primary economical method of FTL for the galactic community: the exoshift.

It opened up a new world of space exploration and travel, no longer was space travel limited to large government or corporate funded expeditions. Instead, a well off person could buy his own ship to find his place in the stars.

In the rush to expand, new colonies formed and new civilizations were discovered. Sol began its first forays into becoming an space faring nation.

However, the people of Sol were not the only ones expanding. The activity began attracting forces from beyond Sol's reach. It began with raids and piracy from unknown aggressors, each attack becoming more brazen than the last. Each attack also spreading word amongst the galactic community of a new people's rise, ripe for the picking. It was then that the criminal known as the Warlord knew his next target for conquest.

He was the epitome of the dangerous regimes that had formed in the power vacuum after the old order's collapse. Driven from his home sector, he commanded a massive fleet of powerful warships, and an army capable of taking an entire planet. Gathering other opportunistic groups in his wake, his armies drove towards Sol.

He attacked Sol Space with a ferocity unseen to Humanity, and conquered much of Earth and its colonies in short order. For a time, Sol is an occupied nation. All species felt the heel of oppression, and in this crucible the people bound together in suffering, and waited.

As the years pass, people believe that their civilization is doomed until the first stirrings of rebellion became a liberation. Secret agreements are made with distant civilizations, and long silent Sol colonies that went dark after the invasion return to activity, their new factories producing weapons and warships to take back their homes.

In a massive uprising, coordinated attacks from outside and within Sol Space break the back of the Warlord's forces, killing most outright, and forcing many others to flee. The Warlord himself is killed in the fighting, but all at such a terrible cost

In victory, the people Sol are left to wonder at their smashed homeworlds. Nations were erased, entire peoples destroyed. The people of Sol, and Humanity with it, had discovered the hard way that the galaxy is a dangerous place.

The first draft of a new constitution is made, and a new government is formed. All were to be given citizenship, all would work towards a common goal of the security they so desperately desired. The Republic of Sol was formed.

The Sol of today is an integrated multi-species civilization that, culturally, is almost unrivaled in galactic society. Their emergence after the Warlord's occupation has thrown the local politics into a stir, a state that Sol has exploited to secure its borders as best it can. With the looming threat of The Combine to its Spinward reaches, where the most dangerous fugitives from the Warlord's armies fled, to the vast and powerful political juggernaut of The Remnant Order hovering ominously along its Coreward border; The people of Sol know their position is as precarious as it is a precious shining beacon in a dark and cold galaxy, and they will fight to protect it.

Personal logo MrHarold Sponsoring Member of TMP08 Dec 2012 6:49 p.m. PST

Looks great so far, love the artwork up there. Just downloaded the PDF, and i'm looking forward to reading through it.

What scale will with this be for? Have you thought about putting support for multiple scales? (28 and 15mm).

Turtle10 Dec 2012 5:32 p.m. PST

I'd like to avoid talking about scale right now until I'm done doing the first sculpts. They're digital so I can scale them as needed and add detail.

I do have a question about preferences though. Exoshift uses an army building system where you not only choose what overall Faction you play, but then choose an army from within it to give a force organization chart, or available units and support. This is similar to Flames of War to be frank. For example, within the Sol faction you would have a company of elite powered armor troops and their support as one army list, and generic line infantry in another army list.

The two questions I have are, is this acceptable to scifi gamers? I use this system for a completely non-historic game because it allows the introduction of new units over time, without horribly imbalancing prior match ups. As new units are released, sometimes they can plug into older army lists, or the lists are updated, and sometimes they come with a new army list.

Would the terms "Faction", for overall nationality/government, and "Army" for the actual fighting group work, or are the terms confusing? I've considered Army as the wider term, and Battlegroup as the smaller army list.

Turtle19 Dec 2012 5:23 p.m. PST

exoshift.org

I've just uploaded a new site for Exoshift.

There you can find some new information on the game, including the latest news, as well as more information on the game's 8 factions.

Make sure to check out the new concept art for The Sine too!

Turtle24 Jan 2013 9:11 p.m. PST

New playtest rules draft 0.36 available here:
HTTP://www.exoshift.org/downloads

We're in trim down mode on the rules right now, meaning removing or streamlining rules to speed up play and make them more intuitive. The first four army lists are still in development, but we will have example armies ready for next month's big reveal on the road to our kickstarter.

Some new art to show, this time it's the Sol main battle tank:

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.