Help support TMP

"Rattle cans to Camo 1/48th German tanks?" Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Painting Guides Message Board

576 hits since 29 Nov 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Soldat29 Nov 2012 7:09 a.m. PST

I couldn't find any rattle cans for dunkel gelb/ yellow base coat. So I plan on layering some paint on.

I am wondering if anyone has tried to use rattle cans to spray on the green & brown camo patterns?

Have any pics of the results? Thanks.

Garand29 Nov 2012 7:30 a.m. PST

If you don't have it, pick up Shep Paine's book on How to Build Model Tanks. He discusses this in there, but in summary:

You use a hole punch to punch out some irregular shapes on an index card. Hold this an inch or two from the model area you wish to camo and spray. Keep moving the card around to vary the pattern.

Another technique from Tamiya's ancient Pz IIF kit is to paint the model in the camo color first (i.e. for a german tank in yellow and green, paint it green first), glue on cotton balls with white glue or something than can be easily removed (like rubber cement if you're using acrylics -- the solvent will attack enamels unfortunately), then spray on the main body color (i.e. dark yellow).

BTW, both Testors and Tamiya spraypaints have a dark yellow. Testors calls theirs Afrika Mustard.

Damon.

Chris Palmer Supporting Member of TMP29 Nov 2012 7:38 a.m. PST

Here's a robot I did using a version of the first system Garand mentioned above. I have found though, that a hole punch makes holes that are two big for 25mm stuff, and are better suited for 1/35 scale models.
So i cut thin irregular slits in cardboard that aren't more than a couple milimeters wide. And then sparay through them an inch or two away from the model.

picture

Legion 429 Nov 2012 8:39 a.m. PST

Looks good ! thumbs up

dmebust Supporting Member of TMP29 Nov 2012 9:51 a.m. PST

Testors is not the right shade, more for early desert. For 1943 Dunkelgelb you will need the Tamiya color. The stuff is way expensive in my opinion. I have been spraying with the Krylon brand "Camo Colors' series, tan as a base coat then spray again with Taniya color. It takes alot less of the Tamiya paint to cover the model and Krylon is $6.00 USD (US) for a large size can.

Marc33594 Supporting Member of TMP30 Nov 2012 5:50 a.m. PST

The Tamiya spray is their TS-3 Dark Yellow. While a very good match as dmebust states it is rather pricey especially since it is a bit thin and can require several coats. Use over a primer to conserve! The matching bottle for touch ups or hand painting is Tamiya XF-60 Dark Yellow.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.