Help support TMP

"The Fleet is growing." Topic

15 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Star Wars Message Board

721 hits since 26 Nov 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

vojvoda Inactive Member26 Nov 2012 3:19 p.m. PST

Well after a trip to Maryland, Virginia and back to North Carolina we picked up a few more items.

The Imperial Fleet:
4 X Tie Advanced
15 X Tie Fighters
2 X (F-Toys) Imperial Shuttles

Rebel Fleet
9 X X-Wings
4 Y-Wings
1 Millennium Falcon (Revell Snap Kit) the size, 4 inches by 3 inches, is just under what the size is of the FFG version is that is due out in March.

One word of warning on the Revell kit it is kind of fiddlely and needs some detail painting to dress it up to standard. Took me some time to get the kit together nothing link the F-Toys which were a breeze to build.

I think between the three of us we now have six core sets and at least two of each of the expansion modules.

We have done about ten Imperial on six Rebel ships using three and four players. Have not incorporated the Shuttles or Millennium Falcon yet but maybe after the Christmas tree is up and decorated this week.
I am still using the 5 x 7 foot mat for gaming as we like to have room to maneuver before 1st contact. I picked up enough black felt page size sheets with shinny bits (tiny glitter) to cover the mat. Pretty cheap from Hobby lobby (49 Sheets at 30 Cents each worked out just under $15.00 USD I will eventually glue them in place or on tiles have not decided which route to go yet.

All the games we have run we have done two to three times each and it is always a close battle if the numbers are close. Right now looks like our grand battle will be around 300 points each and if we Add the shuttles and MF looking at around 350 points. Looking at two to four player for the Rebel force and three to six guys in the Imperial force without adding the Shuttles or MF.

VR
James Mattes

Personal logo Parzival Supporting Member of TMP26 Nov 2012 3:36 p.m. PST

Holy Yoda headspins… and I was thinking I was getting a nice little force (and ahead of myself) by picking up a second starter set on sale from B&N on Black Friday… But at 4x TIE and 3x X-wings, 2x Ys and a single Adv. TIE, I'm clearly nowhere near an Imperial level of madness… thumbs up on your fleet; I am clearly but a learner, while you are the master.

Personal logo BigNickR Supporting Member of TMP26 Nov 2012 4:00 p.m. PST

that's… impressive.

How much did THAT set you back?

Warmaster Horus26 Nov 2012 4:03 p.m. PST

Lil bit jealous of all the f-toys shuttles i seen out there

Warmaster Horus26 Nov 2012 4:04 p.m. PST

"See" ….damnable kindle keyboard

Warmaster Horus26 Nov 2012 4:16 p.m. PST

If I may ask..does anyone know how the f-toy y-wings, x-wings and ties match up, scalewise, with the game's Miniatures?

Mako1126 Nov 2012 7:06 p.m. PST

F-Toys fighters are 1/144th scale, so about twice as big.

vojvoda Inactive Member26 Nov 2012 9:46 p.m. PST

Cost was not so bad as we had a ton of Barnes and Noble gift cards and discounts. I also got several on line and Target had a sale that we cleaned up on. I am getting over on mats as I have two or three I can use and Looking at ideads about the Death Star trench run.
VR
James Mattes

Gunslinger27 Nov 2012 12:33 a.m. PST

I have 24 TIEs, 4 TIE-Adv, 12 X-Wings, & 4 Y-Wings. I'm planning a huge battle involving all the ships and it will eventually get bigger for Spring Recruits when the expansions come out in February.

Saturday we played 150 points and I fielded 11 TIEs against 3 X-Wings and 3 Y-Wings. It was a bloodbath for the Rebellion. I lost one Academy Pilot TIE and he lost all the Ys and 1 of the Xs.

vojvoda Inactive Member28 Nov 2012 9:45 a.m. PST

Not to start an arms race or anything but my buddy in In VA picked up two core cames and one X wing for me off line. So the new totals are:

The Imperial Fleet:
4 X Tie Advanced
19 X Tie Fighters
2 X (F-Toys) Imperial Shuttles

Rebel Fleet
12 X X-Wings
4 Y-Wings
1 Millennium Falcon (Revell Snap Kit)

I think I am done for now, Would like to have at least two more Tie Fighters so I can have 7 flights of three ships. Goal is to have 24 Tie fighters/Tie Advanced so I can have eight flights of three down the road but now I am going to focus on building some terrain space layouts and looking at ideas for scratch build capital ships.

VR
James Mattes

Mako1128 Nov 2012 2:48 p.m. PST

You need 4 more Y-Wings to do the Deathstar attack…..

;-)

vojvoda Inactive Member29 Nov 2012 9:42 a.m. PST

Yeap but for Endor Death Star I need several A Wings, B Wings and other ships. Somewhere I have the breakdown for the battle.

I just can not figure out how to fly through the unfinished Death Star.

VR
James Mattes

Mako1129 Nov 2012 5:20 p.m. PST

Perhaps a large collection of Kinex pieces, or something similar. That'd probably be the least expensive option.

PVC would work too, at least for some bits, but you'll probably have to use a lot of imagination, and/or paper mache' for the rest.

I don't plan on doing the unfinished Death Star scenario. At least not flying inside of it.

Flying over and around some Imperial Star Destroyers looks like a good possibility though, either with a high-res poster of the top of one of those, and/or a reduced scale cardboard model.

Given a Star Destroyer runs about 20' long in 1/270th scale, I think I'll plan on a 1/810th scale model, or there about, since a 6' one seems a lot more reasonable to construct.

Gunslinger30 Nov 2012 11:17 p.m. PST

The Lego SSD works out to 1/6029 at an impressive 50 inches. Of course the model is $400. USD

Mako1101 Dec 2012 4:31 a.m. PST

That is a bargain, for such a large model.

[Sarcasm mode off]

I imagine it would give one nightmares when even considering attempting to build it, especially if a key piece just happens to go missing somewhere along the way.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.