Help support TMP

"Tree height when using 10mm figs with 6mm buildings?" Topic

9 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the DBx Message Board

Back to the Terrain and Scenics Message Board

746 hits since 18 Nov 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

BrotherSevej Supporting Member of TMP18 Nov 2012 5:21 a.m. PST

So I'm building 4 armies for HOTT using 10mm Pendraken historical and fantasy line. At first I was going to use 10mm buildings, but these are huge, especially that I want a city or village sized at most 16x20cm, so I decided to use 6mm buildings.

1. How tall should the trees be (for deciduous & pine trees)?
2. I'll probably use trees bought from China, but I also consider metal trees (flock that never comes off) and Noch trees which are like GWs older trees. Unfortunately I can't find an online store that will ship those to Indonesia. Suggestions?
3. I'm considering Timecast, Total Battle Miniatures and Irregulars. TBM scenic tiles are really mice. Irregular miniatures has massive range on 6mm buildings but catalog is lackluster. I can't find what's in Medieval village package, since the picture is incomplete. If all the buildings are in the picture, then I'd better off with Timecast or TBM since the price is pretty much comparable. Suggestions?
4. That said, I'm still considering JR miniatures 10mm buildings, but the lack of referrence bugs me. Is the building scale consistent between products? Some seems really cheap for what you get, so I'm worried that these are smallers than the others.

dick garrison18 Nov 2012 6:17 a.m. PST

I Built my own buildings from filler and matches over a cardboard base, mine are "true" 10mm scale (ie the doors are 11mm tall etc..) but they are pretty easy to do and cost me virtually nothing, my trees I made from several pieces of florists wire twisted together with a ball of ripped bath sponge glued on top and then painted and dipped in flock, they stand about 20mm/25mm tall so they match my buildings, though these sound a little big for what your after you could easily scale them down a bit to what your after.

Cheers Roger.

fred12df18 Nov 2012 8:03 a.m. PST

I've used 6mm buildings with my normal "10mm" trees and it didn't seem too appear wrong.

My trees are 3-4cm tall.

For 10mm games you really want 6mm footprint for houses, with 10mm height – which means custom building them. Which is easy with paper, less so if done as proper models.

Shedman Supporting Member of TMP18 Nov 2012 8:09 a.m. PST

For my 10mm 1859 project I used 6mm buildings, mainly Timecast, and 18mm K&M Trees – see link

The 18mm trees are measured from the crown to the lowest branch

dick garrison18 Nov 2012 10:49 a.m. PST

As Fred said I think you need the height of a 10mm building to really get the right look even if you dont want the bases to take up to much table space, I take it you want wood frame "Tudor" style buildings with that classic fantasy look in whitch case tall and thin looks good.

Why not knock up some simple card versions with the doors, windows etc.. just drawn on to start with to see what they look like, then either build or buy some more substancial final versions, thats the thing with wargaming it's all about what looks right to you, you can't do it wrong (no matter what some people might think!).

Cheers Roger.

BrotherSevej Supporting Member of TMP18 Nov 2012 4:47 p.m. PST

@Roger: Scratch building is not an option for me. There was a time when I built entire 40k city (well… entire 4 x 4 feet table), but right now I simply don't have the time.

My initial plan was to have 60mm trees so 25mm trees are not too tall. But since the woods in HOTT is not big, I think 60mm trees are too large.

@fred12df: the village will be treated as forest, so buildings will be removable. Paper is too light for such purpose.

@shedman: how tall is the tree base? Is each K&M trees need a base? I see Kallistra stocks the 25mm trees.

Just want to note that I don't mind the building/minis size disparation. It's just when I use my original plan (60 trees), the tree will look humongous next to the 6mm buildings.

Farstar Inactive Member18 Nov 2012 9:18 p.m. PST

6mm buildings would suggest trees in the 25 to 40mm range, since a building story is about 1cm (minus roof). This height is compatible with both the miniature scale and the established terrain scale, so the trees don't clash with either.

Our local "city trees" tend to be in the two to three story range, with some yard trees getting taller.

Shedman Supporting Member of TMP19 Nov 2012 12:42 a.m. PST

The "trunk" of the 18mm K&M trees is 20mm

All K&M trees require bases so that is an extra cost.

I make up my own bases

BrotherSevej Supporting Member of TMP19 Nov 2012 10:50 p.m. PST

Thank you. I think I'll use K&M trees. Now to find one that ships to Indonesia…

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.