Help support TMP

"Dirtside II - Interstellar Wars game report" Topic

11 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Blogs of War Message Board

Back to the SF Battle Reports Message Board

663 hits since 17 Nov 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

kmfrye17 Nov 2012 10:56 a.m. PST

Hello gents,

My Friday Night Pals groups and I dug out Dirtside II for a Traveller-based Interstellar Wars scenario.

Report is on my blog:
link

Best regards,
Keith F.

PatrickWR17 Nov 2012 10:59 a.m. PST

Looks like a fun game. I played Dirtside II at GenCon and enjoyed it, despite the weird chit mechanic. :)

kmfrye17 Nov 2012 11:52 a.m. PST

Patrick – yep, getting past the chits is a major step. Drawing three "boom" chits in a row makes your common sense scream "fix".

But that's just how the armoured cookie brews up, I suppose. At least it's a fast resolution.

Best regards,
Keith

punkrabbitt returns17 Nov 2012 12:02 p.m. PST

Dirtside II was fun gaming. Ah, fond memories…

doublesix6617 Nov 2012 1:14 p.m. PST

Thanks for the batrap, I like FWC but I honestly prefer DSII for the making of the forces and the mechanics and of course SGII for the skirmish version of the game.

(Jake Collins of NZ 2) Inactive Member17 Nov 2012 1:27 p.m. PST

Interesting stuff Keith.

IIRC, the points system in DSII could be 'gamed' by going for loads of small wheeled vehicles mounting missiles.

Trierarch17 Nov 2012 3:30 p.m. PST

Good stuff Keith

Trav inspired DS scenarios, that takes me back.

I like the chits for the standard 1:1 scale, nothing like drawing the Boom chit with a size 1 laser at max range on the enemy Behemoth. Though I don't recall ever seeing multiple Boom chits appearing in one draw.

We got some good milage out of the FMA variant when we scaled the game up to platoon scale (ie 1 stand = 1 pltn).

Cheers
David

Space Monkey17 Nov 2012 9:00 p.m. PST

Cool to see this.
It's been a while since we've gotten around to playing Dirtside. Putting a Traveller spin on it seems like a good match and might satisfy my urge to play Striker.

kmfrye18 Nov 2012 8:30 a.m. PST

Thanks for the kind comments, gents.

Dylan, good point about the points system being "gamed". Most of our games are scenario-based, fortunately, so we've never had to deal with that. Maybe I'll assemble an army of size 1 Daleks and break the system. : )

Spider Monkey, Striker was one of the coolest games I hardly ever played. I apostatised to Striker II, which plays more like "Command Decision" – but converting vehicles can be a chore.

With all of the good 15mm out now, finding your Traveller proxies is much easier than in the past.

Regards,
Keith F.

Tgunner18 Nov 2012 9:22 a.m. PST

IIRC, the points system in DSII could be 'gamed' by going for loads of small wheeled vehicles mounting missiles.

Which is why this game is rated RGO on the tgunner Munchkin Scale:

Responsible Gamer Only!!

I loved this game unit our resident munchkin turned it into a weekly arms race with everyone doing their level best to make the "perfect" unit for the game. At that point Dirtside lost its charm for me.

I would play it now though but only with set armies and lists. Otherwise its a nightmare.

Space Monkey18 Nov 2012 10:32 a.m. PST

Can't just about any set of rules be 'gamed' by a single-minded munchkin?
Some folks can't help themselves but think that way.
I do like scenarios with set or limited forces though… story trumps accountancy.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.