Help support TMP

"71 Highlander Pose Questions" Topic

19 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Sculpting Message Board

Back to the 18th Century Discussion Message Board

Back to the American Revolution Message Board

705 hits since 10 Nov 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

nevinsrip Supporting Member of TMP10 Nov 2012 3:18 p.m. PST

Alan Marsh is working on the Command Group for my 71 ST Highlanders. So far I have 8 poses in the works but I am thinking that I should do a full set of 16. So what poses do you want to see?
Right now the 8 poses are:
1 NCO
1 Officer
1 Drummer
1 Piper
2 Flagbearers
2 Marching

I'm thinking that I shoud do 6 marching poses, so that's 4 more for a total of 12.

That leaves 4 poses. I'm leaning toward a full bodied dead on the ground pose. That would leave 3.

So, in order of pref, what should the 3 remaining poses be?

1. ?
2. ?
3. ?

There's no sense in making what collectors don't want so let me know what you think.

You can contact me at:
KINGSMTMINIS@AOL.COM

Zephyr110 Nov 2012 3:31 p.m. PST

For the dead guy, experiment and see if you can make it so that it can be flipped to either side (giving you a "2-for-1" dead guy…. ;-)

Supercilius Maximus10 Nov 2012 3:34 p.m. PST

1 more NCO.
1 more officer – possibly a mounted one (just the rider).
1 hornist for the light companies.

AFAIK, nobody has ever made the last two for any version of the AWI highland regiments (ie kilt or trousers).

number4 Inactive Member10 Nov 2012 5:11 p.m. PST

This one:

picture

picture

Poise or recover firelock is one of the most common actions of a soldier in ranks, being an intermediate position as part of the drill for loading, firing or advancing.
link
I would suggest the 'prime' as another useful pose, and perhaps 'charge bayonet'. The latter enables a realistic battle line to be formed with the front rank muskets leveled and the rear rank at recover

picture

picture

nevinsrip Supporting Member of TMP10 Nov 2012 7:12 p.m. PST

Number 4, Thanks but I have those poses in the original set of Highlanders.

Personal logo Der Alte Fritz Sponsoring Member of TMP10 Nov 2012 8:21 p.m. PST

Mounted officer would be nice. If you also have your own horse made, remember, the horse takes up two mould slots rather than one slot.

Disco Joe11 Nov 2012 8:59 a.m. PST

For me I would only want the original 8. If you came out with the additional 8 would I be able to purchase only the original 8 or not?

Jeff777711 Nov 2012 9:28 a.m. PST

I'd create another drummer, NCO and Officer, every company has more than one of each so it will provide the needed variety.
I really like the idea of the "dual usage" dead guy.

nevinsrip Supporting Member of TMP11 Nov 2012 8:38 p.m. PST

Disco, As an original purchaser, you can have whatever figures you require. That goes for all my original customers…Bill

Personal logo Der Alte Fritz Sponsoring Member of TMP11 Nov 2012 9:18 p.m. PST

If you add marching poses then you will also need marching officer, drum, std bearer etc

Supercilius Maximus16 Nov 2012 12:22 a.m. PST

Bill,

On the subject of mounted figures – not widely known, but one wing of the 76th Foot (MacDonald's Highlanders) formed a mounted detachment in the Southern campaign. I may be wrong, but I think a small portion of the 71st was also put onto horses in the same period/theatre.

AFAIK, only Frei Korps (15mm) has ever produced figures to depict this. Is it ofany interest to you?

nevinsrip Supporting Member of TMP16 Nov 2012 1:30 p.m. PST

Super Max Thanks for the suggestion. Right now Alan Marsh and I are formulating the poses for the Command grouping. As of right now it looks like this:

1 Mounted officer w/ horse
4 marching figures.
2 flag bearers
1 drummer
1 bag piper
1 Lt. or Capt.
1 NCO
1 Sgt.
1 Crouched down low, running with rifle in one hand.
1 lying on the ground wounded or dead.

The mounted figures that you suggested sound interesting but I don't think that they fought in enough battles to justify mass production. I'm trying to get as much mileage out of these as I can. Thanks agian for your suggestion….Bill

Supercilius Maximus16 Nov 2012 4:42 p.m. PST

Fair enough on the mounted infantry figures.

Interesting option of the "doubling with trailed arms" guy. I don't know if you've seen the new Perry plastic British greens, but they've gone for this as one of their main poses and it was widely used in the latter half of the war.

As a final thought, why not give the crouching/running guy the option of holding a hunting horn in his other hand, to cover the light company musician?

Thomas Mante17 Nov 2012 6:19 a.m. PST

SM

Mounted infantry are an interesting option but in action i.e. on foot were they any different to any other kind of foot. The horse was a means of locomotion, surely they were not intended to fight from horseback?

I do like the idea of a mounted field officer.

Supercilius Maximus17 Nov 2012 9:36 a.m. PST

Not sure, quite possibly small groups might have skirmished whilst still mounted, firing from the saddle. Some QR men (I think the rifle section) actually charged with the Hussar troop at Specer's Ordinary, but then as riflemen they would have had short swords instead of bayonets, which would have made this practicable.

Otherwise, you're right, such troops were meant to fight dismounted when in large units.

spontoon17 Nov 2012 11:32 a.m. PST

Why does no-one fancy the most time honoured pose of the infantry man? Standing, hands crossed over the muzzle of his musket, chin on hands. The hurry-up-and-wait pose.

Supercilius Maximus17 Nov 2012 1:08 p.m. PST

Alan Perry did this with the Hessian Garrison infantry pack (AW 98) and the two "uniformed militia at ease" packs at Foundry. Some of his best figures, IMO.

spontoon18 Nov 2012 7:12 a.m. PST

My favourite sculptors, the Perry Twins! Must check out those figures. Might be able to use them for some of my units!

Thomas Mante18 Nov 2012 4:08 p.m. PST

Alan Perry did this with the Hessian Garrison infantry pack (AW 98) and the two "uniformed militia at ease" packs at Foundry. Some of his best figures, IMO.

SM

I would agree the sculpting is good (as one would expect) but have to say I found the pose boring, am still wondering why I bought some!

TM

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.