Help support TMP

"Brunswick Grenadiers" Topic

6 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the 18th Century Gallery Message Board

454 hits since 9 Nov 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

AICUSV09 Nov 2012 5:18 p.m. PST

I couple of folks have asked if I would post some photos of my figures. Currently I'm working on doing a SYW Brunswick Army, so I thought I would put up couple shots of my Grenadiers. Besides not being the worlds greatest painter (nor photographer) I took a little leeway in the uniforms. For example the companies from the Imhoff Regiment are based on the 1748 plate in the Royal Collection. Some of the others are early SYW and others late. I painted what I liked.
Figures are 28mm Crusaders, except for the senior officer in each battalion (Foundry). Hope they meet with your approval.

picture

picture

cavcrazy09 Nov 2012 8:06 p.m. PST

You don't give yourself enough credit, you are a very good painter, The photos are nice too.

21eRegt09 Nov 2012 10:23 p.m. PST

I love everything about them except for the super thick bases. I understand not wanting players to handle the figures, especially when they look so nice, but it kind of detracts from them IMHO.

Garde de Paris Supporting Member of TMP10 Nov 2012 6:32 a.m. PST

But that's OK, Reg, if they are deploye on a ridge-line, and take it with them when the move: Do you recall – many years ago – one of our fellow gamers moving hills on the board during one of our games, to secure his flanks?!?!

They look great!

Ray
Garde de Paris

Frederic V Inactive Member10 Nov 2012 6:37 a.m. PST

Really great painting job.
The thick of the base is not a problem for me, it makes bases easier to move, but I would have used smaller bases so that grenadiers look closer.

AICUSV10 Nov 2012 9:22 a.m. PST

As you have figured out the bases are designed to keep fingers away from the figures. For years I was of the school that the thinner the base the better. Now I'm on the other side, not enough time to repair and repaint. I set the figures inward a little to add some more protection. The rules I plan to use (home grown) are designed on frontages more than figure numbers. With each base representing a company. If I had the energy I could have gotten 6 figures per a base, but that would have been more work.

Hey GdP if you can have road movements why not hill movement????? And for you Ray the thickness of the base actually represents the height of the men…

Garde de Paris Supporting Member of TMP10 Nov 2012 10:36 a.m. PST

You are so right, Reg. I had no problem with a piece of cardboard cut in the shape of a section of village for us o fight over. My Staddens/Willies are mounted on 1/4 " thick wooded venetian blind slats, and it strikes me that 1/4" would equate to the height of a soldier in a unit 18 figures wide, two deep. True depth could only be represented with paper soldiers!

GdeP

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.