Help support TMP

"Plastic Sci Fi ATV" Topic

11 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Toy Gaming Discussion Message Board

Back to the SF Discussion Message Board

Back to the Plastic Figures Message Board

Back to the Blogs of War Message Board

1,047 hits since 7 Nov 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

cooey2ph Supporting Member of TMP07 Nov 2012 4:43 a.m. PST

another dimestore find frokm Chintatown that may get drafted into my 25mm sci fi army.

picture

Men in Boxes
link

VonTed07 Nov 2012 7:27 a.m. PST

Hmmm…. gun could work for a hydra flak in 40k….hmmm..

Phil1965 Inactive Member07 Nov 2012 7:34 a.m. PST

Nice, nice blog too, who makes the Terran Marines?

Personal logo richarDISNEY of the RDGC Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member07 Nov 2012 8:12 a.m. PST

Those look right to me…
beer

Personal logo Ivan DBA Supporting Member of TMP07 Nov 2012 10:54 a.m. PST

The Marines look like they are from a line of toys released in the late '80s called "XPanders." They are about 1/72 scale or 20mm, IIRC. Made of semi-soft plastic. There were maybe four or five poses, with various weapons. They were usually sold with military vehicles that "xpanded" into fortified bases, rather like a transformer. However, separate sets of about twenty of the figures by themselves were also sold.

link

Good little figures, but hard to find.

John Leahy Sponsoring Member of TMP07 Nov 2012 12:54 p.m. PST

That's interesting. I picked up those soldiers in packs from the Dollar Store in the 90's. They included either a black jet or a buggy with a super cannon on it (I use these with my 15mm figs). I believe there were other sets but I forget what they were. Each set had 4 or 5 infantry in it painted with gray or tan colors. I own probably 50-60 of the infantry. they are Gzg 25mm sized.

I like what you have done with the vehicles and infantry. Nicely done.

Thanks,

John

Phil1965 Inactive Member07 Nov 2012 1:25 p.m. PST

I do not think they made it across the Atlantic, shame, they look nice, almost 'Galoob' like!

Personal logo Ivan DBA Supporting Member of TMP07 Nov 2012 7:47 p.m. PST

Hmmm. Sounds like there are two sizes of these figures out there. The ones I have are definitely more like 1/72 than 25mm. And they came in tan and black.

John Leahy Sponsoring Member of TMP07 Nov 2012 10:42 p.m. PST

Maybe Ivan. Place them next to a Gzg 25mm fig and see. Mine fit right in.

Thanks,

John

Lion in the Stars07 Nov 2012 11:26 p.m. PST

GZG's 25mm are very close to 1/72. They're almost all right around 1" tall. They are most emphatically NOT 28mm in the modern sense of the size.

cooey2ph Supporting Member of TMP07 Nov 2012 11:52 p.m. PST

@ivan DBA -- I have the same set of figures in 20mm. I think the original soldiers that were released as Xpanders were around 25mm, nearer to the old 25mm standard. the second set i chanced upon lacked two poses, were cast in black and seemed scaled 1/72, being the same height as my italeri plastics. they came with a hong kong jetplane ('round 1/144) i believe.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.