Help support TMP

"Waterloo Scenario" Topic

1 Post

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Napoleonics Scenarios Message Board

573 hits since 5 Nov 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

The Membership System will be closing for maintenance in 3 minutes. Please finish anything that will involve the membership system, including membership changes or posting of messages.

Widowson05 Nov 2012 7:45 p.m. PST

I have long believed that this campaign, so often played, is invariably mishandled.

For one thing, NO miniature simulation has much significance if it's not part of a campaign. It's just my opinion, but campaigns need to be simulated from their very beginning. Otherwise, everybody knows the arrival schedule of the troops on both sides, or knows the enemy's OB more exactly than the actual commanders did in history. Sure, you can throw dice to alter the arrival schedules at Quatre Bras, even throw in the possibility that D'Erlon might arrive. Still, that's much more info than the actual commanders had.

So here's my point. Wellington was fooled by a feint Napoleon created on his western flank. He used some National Guard units out west to keep Wellington's attention, knowing that Wellington was deathly afraid that he would be outflanked and cut off from his ports. So in order to make a Waterloo Campaign believable, Napoleon must have that west flank move as a real possibility. The campaign would have been a completely different story if Napoleon had actually made that flank move, and the move up the Brussels road had been the "feint."

Does anyone have a source on what units Napoleon had out west to make that flank feint?

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.