Help support TMP

"28mm WW2" Topic

30 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Scenarios Message Board

Back to the WWII 20mm Models Review Message Board

1,641 hits since 4 Nov 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Ned Ludd Supporting Member of TMP04 Nov 2012 12:58 p.m. PST

I am very tempted to start 28mm WW2 gaming. I have 20mm and 15mm too. I like 15mm for big games and thought I would like 20mm for skirmishing---but I don't. I am in the main a 28mm collector and i dont seem to connect with my 20mm figures as much as my 28s. So I was wondering what rules systems would be recommended for 28mm WW2 I was thingking of about a platoon a side with 1-2 AFV sometimes.

Major Bumsore04 Nov 2012 1:15 p.m. PST

Bolt Action?

Ned Ludd Supporting Member of TMP04 Nov 2012 1:54 p.m. PST

I have read the reviews and don't feel impressed by Bolt Action.

richardmkii Inactive Member04 Nov 2012 2:02 p.m. PST

The rules would depend on what type of game you are looking for. Do you like a light (but not to realistic) or a gritty true to real life type game. I like the fast and light games and use Savage Worlds Showdown for my 28mm WW2 skirmish games.

Ned Ludd Supporting Member of TMP04 Nov 2012 2:07 p.m. PST

I was thinking a little on the accurate side of things, but not too heavy. Has any one playedTroops Weapons Tactics from Two Fat Lardies? I as wondering about those rules. I was also thinking of converting their Mud and Blood set to WW2.

Huscarle Supporting Member of TMP04 Nov 2012 2:38 p.m. PST

I played TW&T at Salute a couple of years ago and enjoyed it, and from memory it is for smaller actions than IABSM covers. The game that we played ran fairly quickly and was easy even for a novice like me to comprehend.
We normally play IABSM, but as we only play about once a year, we still haven't gotten around to trying out V3…

thosmoss04 Nov 2012 3:12 p.m. PST

Nuts! by TwoHourWargames gains lots of attention, but can take a little getting used to. It works well for solo and cooperative play, and seems well suited for a couple of squads per side.

Disposable Heroes is another ruleset we've enjoyed in this scale, although the games can grow upward and still be easy to manage.

Personal logo SBminisguy Sponsoring Member of TMP04 Nov 2012 3:13 p.m. PST

I have become a fan of Two Hour Wargames' NUTS system, a great skirmish rule set for squad to platoon level games.

normsmith Supporting Member of TMP04 Nov 2012 3:44 p.m. PST

Operation squad – it is really about a squad per side but there is a supplement for vehicles.

Personal logo wrgmr1 Supporting Member of TMP04 Nov 2012 3:45 p.m. PST

I am getting out of WW2 28mm and have a whole bunch of figures and vehicles I'm selling, plus rules for Disposable Heros. Interested?

Pics here.

link

liborn04 Nov 2012 5:20 p.m. PST

I am totally sold on Iron Ivan! In fact played a scenarior from their German-Soviet campaign today and totally enjoyed it!

Personal logo War Panda Supporting Member of TMP04 Nov 2012 6:14 p.m. PST

Like yourself a few years ago I wanted to try out 28mm and after reading lots of reviews I finally chose NUTS! Was very different than anything else I'd played which up to then was mainly company level stuff. I personally really really enjoyed the game. Very different activation system than I had experienced;a kind of sequence of reactive activations. If you haven't played NUTS before and you think you would be open to a reactive type activation system that's what I'd recommend trying out.

Tried Operation Squad too …mentioned here already and initially loved its reaction mechanism …but just due to circumstances never played a lot… but I do remember getting a little tired of detailing and recording all the predetermined sequence of actions… it employs a series of announced predetermined actions followed by announced counter reactions…etc…until there's a fairly random election of which units act in what order…so the first announced order of the US bazooka opening fire on the advancing Stug may be 'interrupted' by the supporting Panzergrenadier attempting to throw his potato smasher into their foxhole…really enjoyed it but felt very RPG…norm smith mentioned about using no more than a squad a side and I'd agree… anyway NUTS! seemed less fussy to me but I didn't play OS all that much so I stand to be corrected. Haven't played DH yet but hope to some day as I've only heard good things…

Hope that's some help Ned…

Personal logo combatpainter Supporting Member of TMP Fezian04 Nov 2012 7:26 p.m. PST

I have a few ready 28mm painted armies that are reasonably priced.

Let me know at combatpainter @ aol.com

GROSSMAN Supporting Member of TMP04 Nov 2012 8:14 p.m. PST

I like Arc of Fire myself

Ned Ludd Supporting Member of TMP05 Nov 2012 2:53 a.m. PST

Thanks. I think I will have a look at TW&T ( I'am always afraid to write that for some reason) and Nuts.

peterx05 Nov 2012 6:25 a.m. PST

Hey Ned,
Have a good time and good luck in your 28mm WWII collecting, painting and playing small action skirmish games.

I have played Nuts, Meine Panzer, Bolt Action, and Disposable Heroes systems. IMHO, I like Disposable Heroes the best out of all of those rules sets. Meine Panzer has way too many charts and modifiers for smooth game flow and ease of play for my style of skirmish. Bolt Action seems too simplistic and not "naturalistic" to me, because I am always thinking:" That wouldn't happen that way in a "real" battle." I know, it's "just a game", but that particular problem breaks my concentration and enjoyment of the game. I liked NUTS, particularly the reaction system during gunfights, which is very well designed. But my all time favorite is Disposable Heroes (for 6 years) for the right mix of "playability" and "granularity" which gives a WWII "naturalistic feel" and flow to the combat without getting too bogged down in charts, graphs and tables.

See if you can play a bunch of sets of rules at a local game club/game store or a local gam con to see what type of rule set fits your needs.

Cheers, Peter

Personal logo War Panda Supporting Member of TMP05 Nov 2012 10:02 a.m. PST

Hi peterx…can you please describe Disposable Heroes activation system a little or how iyou prefer it to Nuts! Was always interested in taking a look at it…
Perhaps this is a topic all of its own…
Thanks

John

crappa05 Nov 2012 5:17 p.m. PST

i play 28mm and have bought Disposable Heroes. it is I go u go but each turn who goes first is determined by dice roll. have easily played with up to a platoon with 1 to 4 vehicles.

Ned Ludd Supporting Member of TMP06 Nov 2012 3:27 a.m. PST

I have played Disposable Heroes before and its a good sort of game. But I tend to like rules where the aspects of combat are reflected in more than just taking figures off for casualties. So perhaps the TW&T may be they way to go for me, I liked IABSM but it tends to be a bit fiddly with all the prep you have to do and all the bit and markers on the table, but that is for a higher level of game than I had in mind.

Personal logo War Panda Supporting Member of TMP06 Nov 2012 3:45 a.m. PST

I liked IABSM but it tends to be a bit fiddly with all the prep you have to do and all the bit and markers on the table, but that is for a higher level of game than I had in mind.

I can identify with that. I actually posted a topic recently about those fiddly bits and my favourite hate: the fire table. TW&T has those features too thats why I didn't list it as one I'd recommend but I loved other aspects of TW&T like the Big Man concept and card activation…I spent quite some time creating all sorts of random event cards that can add loads of flavour if you like that sort of randomness to your games…(my group like to add the friction of random cards to almost all the games we play…if you like them they're very easy to insert into any system you like)

Anyway random cards or fire tables are not everyones cup of tea but to each his own…but I have to say "the Lardies" are the best supported Yahoo Group I've ever belonged to. Really great bunch of guys who know how to properly support their product… so personally I'd love if their rules had an alternative to their fire table and the fiddly bits mentioned…

And Ned if you have played IABSM and found those things annoying then Im not sure your experience of TW&T will be all that different. I didn't find a HUGE difference between IABSM and TW&T ……emphasis is on two different operation levels but very similar systems really…

Sir Samuel Vimes Inactive Member08 Nov 2012 10:26 a.m. PST

If you want a "pulpy" or cinematic game go with Savage Worlds. Easy to add in more Role Play elements, campiagn or Weird War Two content to suit your tastes. I've been running Savage Worlds Since 2005 and it is my favorite engine for combat heavy role playing games. I even ran a massive Cowboys versus Zombies " super sized" skirmish game based on the Dead West graphic novel. Even with 6 teenage boys, each controlling a hero type and mobs of a dozen or so townies against roughly three time their number in zombies, things ran smoothly and it was a blast.

If you want a game fast plying and clean flowing game in a more familiar presentation of concepts I'd advise Disposable Heroes. It hits a nice sweet spot between rules crunch and playability. I've only played it in 28mm and I really enjoyed the look and feel of the game. It has a points system and army lists and works well for those of us who like to plan for a game along the lines of "Next Saturday, 600 pts, no vehicles beefier than armored cars."

Nuts! is either love at first sight or Booooo at first site. All THW stuff is based on a system wher you have to roll to activate your troops and just about everything on the table may spark a cycle of action and reaction. I find it very interesting to watch this unfold, but it is anything but a standard turn sequence or predictable. The campaign rules are great and put you in the role of a platoon leader for the action of your choice. From there you play out a year of the platoon's life in battles. Sort of like a collective version of an RPG character. Solo play is stellar. Battles focus on your platoon everything else on the table, unless you are playing a set scenario, is determined in a random fashion based on forces involved, theatre of war and year. My ONLY gripe with this is that AT guns are not included in these charts so, there is never a chance that that the brush along a roadside, or a damaged building is concealing a PAK 40, or some other exiting / awful surprise of that type is just around the corner. While there are rules for crew served AT guns they are the only thing not given a spot in the "random encounter" format. For a game this in depth on nearly everything else that seemed like a weird omission.

Personal logo snodipous Supporting Member of TMP09 Nov 2012 3:41 p.m. PST

I really like TW&T, but it's not for everyone. For one thing, you'll need to do a fair amount of prep before you can ever play – creating a deck of custom cards, for a start. If you have fun with making game 'extras' (I do) then it shouldn't be too much of a hardship. Also, like all the TFL games, the rules are a bit loose and it takes a group of players who have a similar mindset to properly enjoy the rules. Win-at-all-costs, tournament-style rules lawyering won't fly with TW&T.

Those caveats aside, the rules are there for almost anything you want to do in a WW2 game, and whatever isn't specifically covered would be easy to add. The rules for hidden movement on blinds especially are great.

Ned Ludd Supporting Member of TMP10 Nov 2012 3:12 p.m. PST

I have decided to try DH as I have done it before and have bought a copy. I will keep TW&T in mind as I do like the lardie games although they seem to take longer to play, they are more of what I consider a wargame.
On another related issue. Are people using 1/48 for 28mm WW2?

Soldat20 Nov 2012 4:36 p.m. PST

Ned, I am starting to get into 28mm WWII also. Warlord posted this link on my tank question. So yes 1/48 is a good scale for 28mm figs.

link

wrgmr1 still have those figs?

Mythicus22 Nov 2012 8:51 a.m. PST

I use the occasional 1/8 Tamiya figure along side my 28mm infantry. Mostly i use them for crew in vehicles, or for command figures. They are slightly taller but much skinnier than 28mm figs. Thought about doing an entire force in them but they are more expensive and a little harder to find in stock.

As a bit of a tangent. So we have identified that there is a problem (or more) with 28mm figures. Instead of devising work a rounds for dealing with this, perhaps we should lobby the manufactures to standardize the scale, instead of each manufacturer having their own conception of what is correct. Of course the first step would be for use to define the scale, and stop calling it 28mm, which is clearly useless as a scale.

Personal logo toofatlardies Sponsoring Member of TMP22 Nov 2012 10:20 a.m. PST

We are already working on Chain of Command, our new WWII platoon level rules due for release in 2013. These are shaping up to be a really fun game but with a large dollop of history in the mix.

We stronglly believe that it is very possible to combine fun and still produce a game which is historically plausible.

Rich

DukeWacoan Supporting Member of TMP Fezian22 Nov 2012 11:04 a.m. PST

Battleground WWII for skirmish

Charles Besly03 Feb 2013 11:39 p.m. PST

I tried Bolt Action at a game convention and found the rules playable,but simplistic. I have played Battleground which I like. I think the card activation system breaks down with too many units on the board. I believe card activation works well as long as there only about 4-6 cards on a side. There is always a balance to find between realistic and smooth play. OLd fashioned Tractics had immense detail however if you spend an hour a turn it is hard to keep the game moving forward. 28mm is generally thought of as a skirmish scale for ww2, honestly I think that depends on your monetary budget and how much time do you spend painting. Personally I Love to paint miniatures.

Charles Besly03 Feb 2013 11:45 p.m. PST

P.S. I have run a couple of games At the platoon level where I have 4-6 players and each is responsible for a squad or a particular vehicle. If you make the player responsible for not only his mission but his men too (like real life) I think you will find that a lot of the Rambo/John Wayne macho Bleeped text that players come up with goes away and you will get something more realistic.

geoffb Inactive Member04 Feb 2013 4:20 a.m. PST

I was lucky enough to play a test version of TFL's Chain of Command and can confirm that even this early on in its development its already terrific.
Have a look at what you want to get out of a 28mm game but definitely keep an eye out for the progression of these rules.
I think they are going to be hard to beat.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.