Help support TMP

"300..." Topic

9 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Medieval Battle Reports Message Board

499 hits since 2 Nov 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Dalauppror02 Nov 2012 9:33 a.m. PST

No… not the 300 Spartans at the Battle of Thermopylae

No… not the 300 Warriors in Y Gododdin…

YES… the 300 Swedish Knights that heroic fought a invading Union force of some 3000 men in 1455… :)

Ofcourse you all can the story, but if some one have forgot…

During the autum/vinter or spring 1455-1456 a force of 3000 Union troops (Norwegian allmoge soldiers) under command of the Norwegian Knight and High Council menber Kolbjorn Gerst, advanced from Norway against the Swedish town of Lödöse…

The Swedish Lord High Constable, the Kings cousin and Hero Tord Karlsson from the house of Bonde, that was in the area assembled all available Knights, Knechts and Squires in total 300 mounted men to meet the invaders…

On the approach of the Swedish force the Union invaders formed up a defensive waggon lager and repulsed the first fierce Swedish attack. See the Swedish knights "flee" the undiciplined norwegian allmoge soldiers left the waggon lager and started to pursue…

Tord Bonde wasn´t just a hero leading his men from the front, he was a cunning man to, that had a plan…

Now the real battle could begin…

This is just a prelude for game that I run last monday at our club. We used the Hail Caesar rules and I hope to have the AAR up at my blog tomorrow…

Some more pictures of the gaming table at my blog

Best regards Michael

mghFond02 Nov 2012 9:05 p.m. PST

I love your series on this war, keep up the great work.

Mako1102 Nov 2012 10:31 p.m. PST

Sounds like fun.

Is this a real historical battle, or historical fantasy?

We don't get much in the way of Swedish, or Norwegian medieval history on the other side of the pond from you, sadly.

Dalauppror03 Nov 2012 12:06 a.m. PST

Thanks !

Its based on real historical accounts, like the medieval chronicle of Erik.

Best regards Michael

Dalauppror03 Nov 2012 1:40 a.m. PST

Now you can find the AAR of the battle at my blog: link

picture

Best regards Michael

korsun0 Sponsoring Member of TMP03 Nov 2012 5:48 a.m. PST

Great AAR! Pardon my ignorance but what is a knecht? I always thought it was another term for knight?

Cheers
Jon

Anderson Collection03 Nov 2012 6:56 a.m. PST

Great looking set up Michael!

Dalauppror03 Nov 2012 7:09 a.m. PST

Thanks !!!

@korsun0 About the Knecht it´s german here in swedish we call them "Knekt", back in the medieval days it was the hired soldiers for a Vogt or Nobleman/Knight.

I use the term to refer to mercenary/hired soldiers that fighting as Mounted Crossbowmen, they were well armoured and equiped, fighted in close order and didn´t hessitate to charge in close combat if nessasary.

They did the dirty work for the nobility by claiming taxes and subdue the allmoge population. Not liked by the common man;)

Best regards Michael

korsun0 Sponsoring Member of TMP04 Nov 2012 3:30 a.m. PST

Thanks for that Michael,

Cheers
Jon

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.