Help support TMP

"Finding some one to make me a set of 15mm scifi buildings..." Topic

8 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Terrain and Scenics Message Board

Back to the Game Design Message Board

Back to the 15mm Sci-Fi Message Board

Back to The Industry Message Board

Back to the Paper Modeling Message Board

720 hits since 20 Oct 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Kyn ell Inactive Member21 Oct 2012 6:08 p.m. PST

Hello, I have been thinking about getting a PDF together for my Kickstarter i'm planning with my 15mm oggam figures. I would like to give away a companion set of cardstock oggam scenery that you can just print out and use along with the finished figures. I can make stuff from junk card, but alas, not make the kits! I need someone to make me an oggam set including some simple roundhouses (with a few generators and tubes/cimneys attached), a section of city defense wall (with front gate pieces, watchtowers etc)some old ruins of admin buildings, and some shanty town bits.
My question is, how much am I looking at to commission these bits?
Also, this is meant to be a bonus for my investors/funders when backing me at a certain level, so essentially they are going to be freebies, so is this a worthwhile investment for me as I'm not going to even see a return on the outlay.
Like I said, I'm just considering it at the moment, so whats your opinions on it? Would it be a welcome bonus for potential backers? or will it be too expensive in the outlay?
If there are any potential designers who could do this PM me or post here so I can get some quotes going on. A few examples of your work would be good too, so I can see what kind of end product0 I would be getting to give me an idea.
I really want to get exclusive Oggam stuff that are specifically for the minis, that way all they need to do is add their own rules and your ready to rock.
Your thoughts?

CorSecEng Sponsoring Member of TMP21 Oct 2012 6:26 p.m. PST

You can get a return on investment. You can give them away with the kickstarter but nothing is stopping you from listing them on wargame vault or another similar service.

You might do better to find an established paper model designer and work out a deal to commission the "kits" and give them the IP after the kickstarter.

You only need a sample. Say one or two buildings or decent concept art for the kickstarter. Roll that cost into the goal.

You can also use it as teasers during the campaign. You want to keep your momentum up so you need to be posting updates every few days. Plan those out before hand. Also work in several stretch goals.

Kickstarters require a fine balance between heavy media coverage and customer fatigue.

Personal logo MrHarold Sponsoring Member of TMP21 Oct 2012 7:00 p.m. PST

All I have to say is that I agree with everything CorSecEng said grin

beer

Kyn ell Inactive Member21 Oct 2012 7:03 p.m. PST

I'd not thought about putting them on Wargamevault! Good idea!
I would like to own the kits outright, since they would be an addition to the Ogs, so keeping them exclusive would be better, and I could add on them in the future with new stuff as and when.
Your right of course of I only need a few good concept pics of the models or a couple of completed ones, that would save a fair wedge of cash.
I'm doing all I can for the stretch goals, I thought this could possibly be included at a reasonable level, it's if potential backers are going to be interested in cardstock stuff that makes me wonder!

arngrimson24 Oct 2012 6:10 a.m. PST

Kyn ell, there's a number of companies selling card buildings on the net in different scales/periods so I don't see why people wouldn't want yours.

Kyn ell Inactive Member24 Oct 2012 8:05 a.m. PST

There are some great card models out there, so I imagine for anyone to really want to own a kit like the one I have in mind, it's going to have to be pretty special. I just hope that it doesn't become a case of it becoming a total project on its own, as its meant to complement the minis I will be getting done, and not a stand alone thing thats going to be a pain to organise!
I'm currently on the look out for any potential designers of such to work with me, so if you have any suggestions or ideas that might help, please let me know! (I have been trawling through the card modelling community but am coming up blank at the moment, and the more experienced designers either want too much, or aren't getting back!)

coyotius Inactive Member24 Oct 2012 2:49 p.m. PST

Talk to Tommygun over on Warseer (check out his buildings and vehicles):

link

or Christopher at Genet Models:

genetmodels.com/index.php

Kyn ell Inactive Member24 Oct 2012 6:10 p.m. PST

Many thanks for the info! I will add them to my list & get in touch!

lokie44 Inactive Member25 Oct 2012 4:07 a.m. PST

Hi Kyn ell in a freelance sculptor figure & straightline please drop me an email and i will send images etc robi1baker@yahoo.co.uk

lokie44 Inactive Member25 Oct 2012 4:07 a.m. PST

Hi Kyn ell in a freelance sculptor figure & straightline please drop me an email and i will send images etc robi1baker@yahoo.co.uk

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.