Help support TMP

"Inter-War, Colonial, mid-19th - which to choose?" Topic

15 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Interwar (WWI to WWII) Message Board

Back to the 19th Century Discussion Message Board

626 hits since 16 Oct 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

DukeWacoan Supporting Member of TMP Fezian16 Oct 2012 1:44 p.m. PST

I'm again thinking of my next project. Probably to start accumulating figs starting 2013. Here's what I've been thinking about and why. Any pros and cons or suggestions welcome. One thing I'd like to do is have a paddle-wheeler, but I don't want to do Sudan.

Abyssinian War 1930s – Great looking figs from Empress and Askari. Self-contained in terms of scenario options. Having crappy Italian tanks and bi-planes sounds fun. Weaponry is not too effective. Fairly colorful natives. Paddle-wheeler would fit in. I guess I could expand into 1940s with the Brits showing up. I think the Italians would pretty much look the same then.

Darkest Africa – either 1800s or WWI – Main draw is the Copplestone, Brigade and Foundry figs, plus the various Adventure single figs out there. I'd like the idea of some minor fighting between Europeans, but not sure whether that means I have to do WWI then, because I like the Naval Brigades in particular. I like the idea of fighting with Martin-Henrys and Gatlins/Gardners as opposed to Maxims. Paddle-wheeler would work either way. Armored train in WWI. Currently reading Edward Paice's book on German East Africa. Good read. I think if I could come up with scenarios where Europeans could mix is up a bit in the 1800's, that would be preferable. 4 player games – Brits, Zanzibar slavers, Germans or Belgians, etc. Might be too what-if though.

Maximillian – first would do a Camerone game. I've already got Rorkes Drift, so this would be much the same. Downside is the small line of Gringo40s out so far. No paddle-wheeler. But I like the potential for lots of color, and might opt this way if Gringo40s were further along.

Taiping Rebellion – Lots of color plus Chinese Gordon. Not sure if there is much out their aside from the Foundry line. Could use a paddle-wheeler here. Downside is no Germans scraping with Brits.

Already have a ton of Back of Beyond, so Spanish Civil War is really not something I'm looking at. Too similar.

Personal logo timurilank Supporting Member of TMP16 Oct 2012 2:09 p.m. PST

You did post to the Interwar message board.

China during the Warlord period: link

anleiher Supporting Member of TMP16 Oct 2012 2:36 p.m. PST

The Russian Civil War?

Frothers Did It And Ran Away16 Oct 2012 2:45 p.m. PST

Foundry do/did figures for the French in Mexico as well.

If you're already doing Back of Beyond then Darkest Africa would make a better contrast than China, IMO, if the paddle steamer thing is important.

DukeWacoan Supporting Member of TMP Fezian16 Oct 2012 3:10 p.m. PST

Yes I posted in InterWar

My Back of Beyond are basically RCW-East with Chinese Warlords and the Mad Baron thrown in.

willthepiper16 Oct 2012 3:32 p.m. PST

WWI in Mesopotamia may have some things to interest you. No one sent their 'A' team there, but you get on the Ottoman side the usual stubborn Turks, backed by less stubborn but none the less ornery Arabs. No Germans, IIRC, but you could make the case for some 'advisors' wandering over from Palestine. The Brits get a mix of Indian army types and a nice selection of river gunboats (I don't think they were actually paddle wheelers, though). Not much colour, though, as everyone was wearing variations on khaki. And it might be a bit too similar to your BoB stuff.

A little outside the box: the 1885 North West Rebellion in Canada has a mix of Canadians in red, blue, rifle green and buckskin taking on Metis and Cree in whatever civilian and traditional dress they can find. The campaign features both Gatling guns and paddlewheelers, although neither were decisive in action.

Of course nothing will match China for colour or variety of troops.

Johny Boy16 Oct 2012 3:38 p.m. PST

I was thinking about something similar until VBVCW hooked me in, and setting my action along the river Mersey means i get to use paddle steamer ferries!, however before that I was looking at gaming WW1 East Africa, so you get Darkest Africa tribesmen, Askari's, small European units Ideal for 28/15mm and as much riverine and naval landing actions as you could possibly want. Suggest you have a look at the Battle of Tanga bay as a starting point. But as far as I can see it combines many of the plus points you list.

Best of luck

thosmoss16 Oct 2012 3:43 p.m. PST

What rules are you using, and I ask because I'm in the same sort of mood?

You want high adventure, like What Would Indiana Jones Do? Or skirmish?

RudyNelson Inactive Member16 Oct 2012 4:25 p.m. PST

Chaco War: Interwar; Thai vs Vichy French in Cambodia in 1940; Russo-Japanese clash in 1939; RCW, SCW, China Warlord era. I did a seeveral articles on 'The War that Never Ends' which talked about Anglo-French conflicts in the Middle East; Greek Invasion of Turkey; the Trans-Caucus conflicts between Red, White, British and local forces.

I have sold battleHonors WW1 Africa troop packs well to people doing inter-War Africa.

Mid-19th Century in which your timeline seems to be 1860s. Colonial and not the European or South American actions?
India, Russian Eastward manifest dystiny into Central Asia. They like the British had wars with the Persians in the 1850s. Several expeditions were decimated by the Turkomans. Foundry (Ian Heath) does some great books covering aspects of 1800s warfare and culture.

A decade or two later adn the flood gates of conflicts opens.

DukeWacoan Supporting Member of TMP Fezian16 Oct 2012 5:31 p.m. PST

Skirmish or very small ratios would be my thought. Not sure on Rules. I've used Red Actions for RCW, but would look at something different.

Ragbones Supporting Member of TMP16 Oct 2012 6:38 p.m. PST

The Sand Pebbles. Maybe not a paddle wheeler but…

kabrank17 Oct 2012 5:30 a.m. PST

I have been looking at a simular range of ideas over the last couple of years.

In the end I have settled with Interwar after looking into VBCW and SCW.

Since I will be working within an "Imagination" things are a little simpler.

CooperSteveOnTheLaptop17 Oct 2012 9:11 a.m. PST

As I play Maximilian I vote for that. Wheel-driven steam ship for coastal actions?

Gaz004517 Oct 2012 9:38 a.m. PST

'Gunboat diplomacy' type actions maybe what you are after….various punitive Naval Landing Parties and Expeditionary Forces….China at the turn of the 20th century or maybe a little earlier circa Taiping Rebellion….excuses for any number of Western Powers with little ships against medieval to modern equipped locals and/or allies…
I'm building a project with 20mm plastics using mid 19th century(ACW/Crimean)/Boxer Rebellion and even WW1 types…
I find anything later than 1905(-ish!)means that the machine guns are too good and reliable…!.

freecloud18 Oct 2012 3:34 a.m. PST

We cast aboout for a 19th Century war for "big" skirmish and small battles. Had to be colourful and a bit "not the usual" stuff. We decided to fo for 1848 Hungarian/Balkan revolts you get to use:

- Austrians
- Russians
- Hungarians (very colorful)
- A panoply of Balkan troops

Some of our stuff here:

link

We started with small scale skirmishes as we built up the forces, playing bigger games as the orces increased. Right now we have finished the Balkan and Hungarians forces and are building a few Austrians and Russians to enter the fight.

We've played everything from small skirmishes (song of Drums), bigger (Sharpe Practice) and small battles (Black Powder)

If you have a Back of Beyond eastern bag the Russian Civil War also has the Turkish fronts, and really you can get away with a lot of leeway. We used Through The Mud & Blood big skirmish rules, have had a lot of fun playing various games in the Ukraine with White & Red Russians, various Ukrainians, French & Greeks

link

I also built a Darkest Africa army, if you do it right (ie not Zulu, but lots of variety so its ahrd to tell precisley where/when its from) it really is the Universal Army, capable of playing everything from Ancients (sitting on the border of everyone Egyptian from Pharaohs to Mamluks) to various Colonial games, and I play it in Fantasy as an Army of Men (led by She Who Must Be Obeyed, of course.. )

picture

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.