Help support TMP

"Help! First Time Painting Buildings" Topic

7 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Painting Message Board

Back to The Old West Message Board

535 hits since 15 Oct 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

DanLewisTN Inactive Member15 Oct 2012 6:20 p.m. PST

Hey guys, I could use some help. I got some Old Glory western buildings for 25/28mm and have never painted a building like this before. So if you could can recommend anywhere that I could get a tutorial or something, I could use all the help I can get. Thanks much!!

Hacksaw Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member15 Oct 2012 6:25 p.m. PST

I can come by with some of mine and show you how I do them. How soon do you need to get started?

DanLewisTN Inactive Member15 Oct 2012 6:33 p.m. PST

Next weekend would be great if you are available. But I'm flexible. I should have them washed, and cleaned and primered by them.

What color primer should I use? I've got gray, black and white.

My wife bought me these buildings for Christmas and I never got around to painting them.

Hacksaw Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member15 Oct 2012 6:42 p.m. PST

I should be around, I'll get with you later in the week to confirm. I am a black primer-using heretic, but you could use any of those colours and they will work.

MajorB16 Oct 2012 3:49 a.m. PST

Buildings are big (compared to figures). I suggest you use cheap acrylic paints from a craft store rather than your usual model paints.

Personal logo Miniatureships Sponsoring Member of TMP16 Oct 2012 6:21 a.m. PST

The Old Glory buildings on the web site are normally primed with the PlastiKote sandable Primer – Black. I find this primer to offer a good, even coat over the resin or high density foam – both materials used for the Old Glory buildings.

The buildings are then painted using cremaicoat paints. We find these craft paints to cover a little better than others, but will admit that lately they are getting harder and harder to find in craft stores and larger box stores, which seem to be switching to the Apple Barrel brand of craft paints.

Mrs. Miniatureships painted most of the buildings on the Old Glory 25's web page, and does have a tip sheet if you email her on who she gets the wood tones of the Forts and log buildings.

Rogues116 Oct 2012 5:21 p.m. PST

I just tried an experiment with my lastest round of Old Glory Western Buildings. I took one, cleaned it and then just went straight at it with oil wood (oak) stain (similar to the dip). The reasoning was an attempt to get the look of a newly constructed wood builing. The yellow/white color of the resin took the stain well and it turned out like I had hoped. The stain is sticking well, I did a bit of dry brushing after the fact and I have no issues. I did the wood shingle roof as well as the sides and back. On one building I painted the front using craft paints (after I had primed it white) with the sides in wood, I think it is one of the better looking buildings I have (I now have about 25). I will also say that I have used the same stain as a finish on the buildings after I have painted them to dirty them up using a paper towel to pull off the extra stain and show the color through it (does a nice job picking up the wood grain and other details). I will say if you can paint the windows and doors separately it does speed up the process (use super glue to put them on). Some of the buildings it is hard to paint windows and doors if they are glued on first. I am very pleased with my Old Glory Buildings.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.