Help support TMP

"The PORTABLE WARGAME: MODERN rules are now online!" Topic

4 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Interwar (WWI to WWII) Message Board

Back to the Game Design Message Board

Back to the British Wargaming Message Board

675 hits since 15 Oct 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Bob the Temple Builder15 Oct 2012 4:54 a.m. PST

I wrote the first draft of what is now knows as THE PORTABLE WARGAME nearly two years ago (in early January 2011) and since then it has gone through numerous redrafts and variants. The rules have attracted a small but dedicated group of users (mainly because it is aimed to produce a fast-play wargame that can be set up in a very small area) and although I have not done much work on the rules until recently, their interest has kept me going back to the rules every so often to try to improve them.

Over the past week there has been an upsurge in interest, and I have therefore re-drafted the rules for the 'modern' era (i.e. 1920 to 1950 although they can be used for slightly earlier or later historical periods).

The new draft can be downloaded from the link on my blog (http://wargamingmiscellany.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/the-portable-wargame-modern-wargames.html). I make no claims that these are the ne plus ultra of wargames rules BUT they are simple, quick-play rules that seem to produce reasonable results in a game that take less than two hour to play.

If you are interested, please feel free to download these rules and use them.

To see some examples of battles fought using earlier versions of the rules (for the 19th and 20th centuries), look at the following links:

link

link

link

link

picture

link

link

link

link

Personal logo Dale Hurtt Supporting Member of TMP15 Oct 2012 10:32 a.m. PST

What did you use for the table? It looks like thick felt cut into squares. It also looks as if you have made the squares into particular terrain pieces and can lay them out in any configuration. Is that true?

I have been looking at doing something like this for quite some time, but had not experimented with thick felt.

MajorB Supporting Member of TMP15 Oct 2012 11:01 a.m. PST

That's not Bob's own table. It's a version of his game that he saw at Salute 2012. See:
link

Bob the Temple Builder15 Oct 2012 11:45 a.m. PST

I understand that the individual squares were cut from carpet tiles, the hills being made from layers of smaller squares.

I have asked the builder of this version of the PW playing board to explain how he made it, but he has yet to send it to me for publication on my blog.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.