Help support TMP

" pre dreadnoughts any rules suggestions?" Topic

22 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Naval Gaming 1898-1929 Message Board

Back to the Blogs of War Message Board

1,211 hits since 13 Oct 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Ben Walton14 Oct 2012 12:05 p.m. PST

Just posted some pictures of some of my french pre dreadnoughts over on the blog. There not the best photos, i find it's tricky geting good ones of ships this scale. I was wondering dose any one have any rules suggestions for this period. I'm looking for somthing with quite simple book keeping, relatively fast play.

link

Wilf1235814 Oct 2012 12:21 p.m. PST

Suggest Naval Thunder – Rise of the Battleship, which is an expansion to their WW1 Clash of Dreadnoughts. I've used them for Russo-Japanese actions.
Cheers
Wilf

Personal logo Texas Jack Supporting Member of TMP14 Oct 2012 12:27 p.m. PST

Beautiful ships! Based on your needs, here is a link to a very nice set of rules that gives a good result and is loads of fun:

wtj.com/games/quickfire

And oh yes, they are free grin

optional field14 Oct 2012 2:01 p.m. PST

clashofarms.com/rjw.html
and
clashofarms.com/feargod.html
The Russo-Japanese War and Fear God & Dread Nought from Clash of Arms cover the pre-dreadnought and WW 1 eras respectively. I'm not absolutely certain if the Russo-Japanese war has stats for the forces other than those involved in the war, but I believe it does.

In any case I have Fear God & Dread Nought and it has rules for creating the game stats for real world ships based on their real world statistics. While it has rules for dreadnoughts it can definitely be used for pre-dreadnought warfare.

It's not the fastest playing ruleset in the world, but I like it for level of detail it provides and once you've played a few games it goes pretty quickly (as long as you don't plan on doing a huge battle like Jutland, but I don't know any rule set that would do Jutland quickly).

Personal logo Extra Crispy Sponsoring Member of TMP14 Oct 2012 2:05 p.m. PST

Sides of Steel:

link

Here is a summary of the game mechanics. The WW1 version of these rules are my fave for that period.

link

Royal Air Force Supporting Member of TMP14 Oct 2012 3:27 p.m. PST

My gaming group enjoys Perfidious Albion. Not the most complex or detailed, but gives a quick, fun game. link

Onomarchos Supporting Member of TMP14 Oct 2012 3:39 p.m. PST

Another vote for Perfidious Albion. They are a really fun set of rules, full of 'theme.'

daveshoe14 Oct 2012 4:26 p.m. PST

I like David Manley's "Fire When Ready" rules. I think they have a good period flavor without too much book keeping.

You can get them as a PDF download (http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/57246/Fire-When-Ready?src=s_pi)

TheDreadnought Sponsoring Member of TMP15 Oct 2012 7:10 a.m. PST

Naval Thunder has a huge pre-dreadnought community. In addition to fast, enjoyable gameplay with just the right amount of detail, you can talk about and share your games with like-minded gamers.

Here's the link to check out the rules:

link

(You'll want the Pre-Dreadnought Bundle)

Here's the forum to chat with other pre-dread gamers:

link

Personal logo Chuckaroobob Supporting Member of TMP15 Oct 2012 7:48 a.m. PST

I've used "You May Fire When Ready Gridley" a couple times, its mechanics are quick but it takes a couple hours to do enough damage to sink a battleship. There is a second book avaliable with ship stats.

Lee John Ayre15 Oct 2012 9:52 a.m. PST

Damn Battleships Again. It's a DBA by product and requires no book keeping. Like DBA it's rather abstract however it's available for free.

link

Ben Walton15 Oct 2012 1:20 p.m. PST

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions guys! I think I'll take a look at the free ones first and then maybe try some of the others :)

KTravlos15 Oct 2012 1:37 p.m. PST

I use quickfire. If you want something faster you can try also my really simple,really fast, really for kids rules. They are free but rather crude. PM me for them.

With Respect
KTravlos

138SquadronRAF Supporting Member of TMP15 Oct 2012 5:59 p.m. PST

Another vote for David Manley's "Fire When Ready" rules. Great period flavour without too much rivet counting.

If you want depth, go for Seekrieg V – the ultimate rivie counting rules, but they are better for smaller actions.

warren bruhn19 Oct 2012 5:49 p.m. PST

I've played the "Fire When Ready" rules perhaps 3 times, and liked them. That's not to say that other rules aren't good too.

RABeery22 Oct 2012 8:14 a.m. PST

Perfidious Albion seems rather strange at first, but is more fun and surprisingly more realistic in many ways to other rules. Easy to modify to to your own taste also.

WarpSpeed22 Oct 2012 1:12 p.m. PST

QuickFire…easy,fast and free.

afilter Supporting Member of TMP22 Oct 2012 1:45 p.m. PST

I fully endorse NT especially for Pre-dreads.

Ben Walton24 Oct 2012 9:36 p.m. PST

Looks like its a bit of a tie up between "fire when ready" and "perfidious Albion" thanks again for all the recommendations

138SquadronRAF Supporting Member of TMP29 Oct 2012 7:10 a.m. PST

Looks like its a bit of a tie up between "fire when ready" and "perfidious Albion" thanks again for all the recommendations.

Both rules play well. I prefer FwR because it is a conventional set. PA is a good set of rules, but is a little more abstract.

Bertie Supporting Member of TMP22 Nov 2012 4:53 a.m. PST

Damn Battleships Again, a nice simple system that you can complicate to your own taste:

link

Cheers,
Bertie

bobblanchett Inactive Member24 Jan 2013 5:53 a.m. PST

Cant convince my regular opponents to climb the curve on PA/FWR (Though I reckon they look fab) and DBSA felt a bit samey, and lacking chrome.

But we hit a winner on Jim's quickfire WTJ quickfire rules… I found they really fit in your head, and provided chrome and a credible result in good time

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.