Help support TMP

"Confused pursuit throught the valley: Game Recap" Topic

8 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Game Design Message Board

Back to the Modern Battle Reports Message Board

Back to the Modern Discussion (1946 to 2004) Message Board

566 hits since 8 Oct 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Personal logo Extra Crispy Sponsoring Member of TMP08 Oct 2012 8:00 a.m. PST

So as usual I'm working on rules, and had a chance to test out my Vietnam rules – for the moment called "In Country."

After a combined attack to clear a few hills, a mixed force of US Army and Marines are hotly pursuing a mixed force of NVA and VC. The NVA were deployed hidden in a small valley with a mix of jungle, tall grass and rice paddies. A platoon each of NVA and VC supported by two mortar sections and a pair of recoilless rifles faced off against two squads each of Army and Marines, with 3 M113s in support (and possible gunship support that never materialized).

The US enter the board from a variety of points and have to slog their way through the valley. They cleared the west side of the board where most of the rice paddies were. One NVA squad did spring a nasty ambush, but got hit hard for the effort. A muddy river bisected the battlefield and it was the valley east of this waterway that gave the US trouble. Crossing the river was deadly with LOS limited to 4".

The M113s came up in support and their three machine guns proved deadly. Once they entered the valley, the recoilless rifles opened up and a duel ensued in which one M113 was badly damaged, but both rifles were taken out.

After another deadly ambush that resulted in hand-to-hand fighting, the NVA player exited the board slowly pursued by the now hesitant and bloodied Americans.

As it was a play test there were no strict victory conditions, but overall I'd have given it to the Communist player on points.

I was pleased with the overall flow of the game and how the core game mechanics work. i think shooting may be a bit too deadly, but other than that I think it is ready for adding in those Nam specific rules for spider holes, booby traps, artillery support, LZs, etc.

whoa Mohamed08 Oct 2012 2:14 p.m. PST

good on ya Mark

Personal logo Extra Crispy Sponsoring Member of TMP08 Oct 2012 2:55 p.m. PST

What a terrible thread title!

General, execute the title writing staff immediately!

Captain Crunch08 Oct 2012 3:59 p.m. PST

Sounds interesting Mark. Keep us posted on your progress and maybe post some pictures. I am starting my Vietnam project now. Got the minis (Flashpoint Vietnam) about 6 months ago and like so many other things they got put on the backburner. Was going to use "Force on Force" or "Charlie Don't Surf" for rules but always have my eyes open for something new.

Paul

Personal logo richarDISNEY of the RDGC Supporting Member of TMP Inactive Member09 Oct 2012 7:34 a.m. PST

Sound like fun.
For what scale? 15mm?
beer

Personal logo Extra Crispy Sponsoring Member of TMP09 Oct 2012 6:43 p.m. PST

Yep, 15mm.

monongahela09 Oct 2012 7:42 p.m. PST

How do you handle setting the ambushes?

Personal logo Extra Crispy Sponsoring Member of TMP10 Oct 2012 5:32 a.m. PST

The Communist player had hidden deployment: units were marked with chits and they had lots of dummy chits. When the US player moved into LOS they were revealed. In the jungle/woods visibility is only 4".

To ambush the US player the Communist player simply reveals a unit, moves into range, and shoots. The turn has two action phases, so in one case they VC went at the end of the turn. They hoped to win initiative the next turn and then get away.

This was a very vanilla play test just to see if the basic game concepts worked (they do). The final rules will include booby traps and abstract ambushes. My current thinking is they will be placed in "areas" and they are tripped when the area is entered by the US player.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.