Help support TMP

"USMC Aviators In China During the Early 1930s " Topic

16 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the Interwar (WWI to WWII) Message Board

Back to the Biplanes Message Board

705 hits since 3 Oct 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Kaoschallenged Inactive Member03 Oct 2012 11:30 p.m. PST

Some nice videos of early Marine flyers,

link

kyoteblue Supporting Member of TMP03 Oct 2012 11:42 p.m. PST

Cool !!

Puster Supporting Member of TMP04 Oct 2012 2:52 a.m. PST

Great shots :-)

Reminded me to reread this article on the air-war in the thirties: link

Gaz004504 Oct 2012 4:25 a.m. PST

Seeing footage like this makes you realise how small and fragile these planes were…..
Presumably these pilots are 'showing the flag' in/near the foreign zones occupied by the Western powers-in support of the river flotillas?

flicking wargamer04 Oct 2012 6:37 a.m. PST

Funny, I always am amazed at how big the planes are in person compared to what I expect.

wminsing Supporting Member of TMP04 Oct 2012 4:54 p.m. PST

great find!

-Will

Katzbalger04 Oct 2012 5:39 p.m. PST

Neat shot of the Taku fort in the third video…

Rob

RazorMind04 Oct 2012 6:56 p.m. PST

nice find, thank you for sharing

Adam

Kaoschallenged Inactive Member04 Oct 2012 11:28 p.m. PST

Thanks guys grin. I have always liked the old movies and newsreels. I am really thankful that they have been saved and made available to the pule to appreciate and to see a part of history. Robert

Kaoschallenged Inactive Member06 Oct 2012 5:54 p.m. PST

I meant available to be " made available to the people to appreciate and to see a part of history." LOL. Robert

Personal logo Texas Jack Supporting Member of TMP07 Oct 2012 5:26 a.m. PST

Thanks for the clarification grin

One thing about this is it could not have been from the early 30s (elsewhere on the site it gives 1932 as the year). I was curious as to what unit operated in China at that time and could only come up with VF-9M, which operated in the Tientsin area, but only as late as 1928.
Also, the two-seaters appear to be DH-4s, which were finally phased out by the Marine Corps in 1929, while the fighters appear to be Curtiss F6C Hawks, which were indeed flown by VF-9M in 1928.
And finally, the biggest piece of evidence as to the year: the commanding officer shown in the film, Lt.Col. Thomas C. Turner, died in Haiti in 1931. Here is the link to that: link

So, if anyone really cares, the unit is the 9th Marine fighter squadron (not sure about the observation squadron), flying in the Tientsin region in 1928.

Thanks again for posting this Robert, it is really great to see this lovely planes in flight.

Personal logo Texas Jack Supporting Member of TMP07 Oct 2012 11:40 a.m. PST

Errr, I meant "great to see THESE lovely planes in flight." grin

Personal logo chicklewis Supporting Member of TMP10 Oct 2012 6:25 p.m. PST

Nice detective work, Texas Jack. You might offer your observations to the Leatherneck site, and if you do they MIGHT use the information.

Personal logo Texas Jack Supporting Member of TMP12 Oct 2012 12:11 p.m. PST

Thanks chick, I sent it along to them, we will see what they do with it, if anything.

Kaoschallenged Inactive Member11 Nov 2012 11:22 p.m. PST

I hope they listen and fix the mistake Texas Jack grin. Robert

Personal logo Texas Jack Supporting Member of TMP16 Nov 2012 9:26 a.m. PST

I sent it, but they didnīt listen or fix it. But at least I did my part.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.