Help support TMP

"FREE Trial - 6mm (Mirco Armor Scale) Rules - PanzerKampfen" Topic

3 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the WWII Scenarios Message Board

Back to the WWII Rules Message Board

865 hits since 1 Oct 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

The Membership System will be closing for maintenance in 5 minutes. Please finish anything that will involve the membership system, including membership changes or posting of messages.

leesow Inactive Member01 Oct 2012 5:25 a.m. PST

There is a large group of gamers who play 6mm, or other "Micro Scale" armor battles. I had actually developed a set of rules for this scale and played them for many years at Historicon and other major conventions where those who played them, loved them. They are called PanzerKampfen (Tank Battles) and initially focused on the major battles of 1944 such as Operation Goodwood and Market Garden. Hence PK44. I wanted to be able to play Goodwood, yes all three days of the battle involving over 1000 AFVs, on my kitchen table. Crazy? Probably. Fun. Definitely!
This is a game where you put full divisions on the table. Scale is 1" to 500m. Each miniature tank or infantry/weapon base represents a full company of 15-20 tanks or 100-200 men. Turns are one day long. Perhaps the most unique feature is the C.A.R.D. concept; Combat Area of Responsibility of a Detachment (Detachment using the German concept of Abteilung). The C.A.R.D. is a physical base or tray (I like to use Balsa Trays) that you put your minis on and maneuver them in Battalion Battle Groups (Abteilung), removing casualties as needed.
The C.A.R.D. size is fixed at 2" x 4" (in a pinch you can use US standard sized Playing Cards, which is what gave me the idea). In scale this represents an area 1 by 2 Kilometers, which turns out to closely approximate the frontage and area occupied by a Battalion in "normal" circumstances. To fight, two CARDs must be in contact, giving an area that is 2 by 2 Kilometers. While extreme long range Kills were recorded in WWII, using a "Battle Area" that is 2000m by 2000m removes the need for measuring ranges and eliminates a host of other tiring game mechanics as well. Just roll the dice.
There is another advantage to a "Battalion" (or "Regimental" depending on the Army) game. They were the building blocks of most WWII Divisions. If you truly want to play WWII Divisional sized games, your building blocks should be Battalions. Hence having one miniature represent a company and grouping them on CARDs to represent Battalions (or Regiments) will let you fight battles like Goodwood on your Kitchen Table. For Operations like Market-Garden, you will need a BIG Table!
Since I am now completely tied up running Combat Action Command Demos at Stores and Cons and can't run PK44 Games anymore, I have put the PK44 Rules and some Unit Data Cards on their own TAB as FREE downloads so everyone can share in the experience. There is scenario data for Operation Goodwood and a complete set of Data Cards for Market-Garden. However; PK44 was really designed to let you make up your own games for your favorite battles featuring your favorite armies and their famous divisions.
The downloads are not "publisher perfect" copies; they are my GM Copies that I used to run games and hand out to those who signed up and played. So don't expect a completely polished and edited set of rules and supplements like you get with Combat Action Command. But hey these are FREE!
Download from combatactioncommand.com FREE PK44 tab

Enjoy Lee Author

Personal logo elsyrsyn Supporting Member of TMP01 Oct 2012 6:24 a.m. PST

Thanks. Look forward to giving them a read through.

Doug

normsmith Supporting Member of TMP04 Nov 2012 4:39 a.m. PST

Thanks Lee, a ton of work done there, thanks for sharing.

I shall enjoy a Sunday afternoon (with coffee) browsing your scenario pack. Norm.

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.