Help support TMP

"X-Wing first impressions (plus semi-AAR)" Topic

18 Posts

All members in good standing are free to post here. Opinions expressed here are solely those of the posters, and have not been cleared with nor are they endorsed by The Miniatures Page.

For more information, see the TMP FAQ.

Back to the SF Battle Reports Message Board

Back to the Spaceship Gaming Message Board

838 hits since 26 Sep 2012
©1994-2014 Bill Armintrout
Comments or corrections?

Fire Broadside27 Sep 2012 7:19 a.m. PST

picture

Got to try out X-Wing a couple of times this week and really thought it was a lot of fun! Even when playing with just the basic pilots. I have the expansions on their way to me as well (three Y-wings!) so I'm really looking forward to getting into the "combo" meta-game.

You can read my impressions and quick AARs here: link

Enjoy!

Personal logo elsyrsyn Supporting Member of TMP27 Sep 2012 8:07 a.m. PST

Nice pics and overview. The game does indeed look like fun. I'm not sure I can stomach the price of the minis, though. CMGs annoy me, even if they're not random booster pack things.

Doug

Tom Reed Supporting Member of TMP27 Sep 2012 8:38 a.m. PST

I thought the same until I remembered that they are about the same price as the planes for Wings of War and I don't grouse about buying them. And you are not just getting the model, you are also getting pilot cards and extra equipment cards.

Personal logo elsyrsyn Supporting Member of TMP27 Sep 2012 8:54 a.m. PST

Ja. The prices for the WoW/WoG planes are making me look for ways to do that game with my existing 1/300 aircraft. They're just way overpriced.

Doug

billthecat Inactive Member27 Sep 2012 9:19 a.m. PST

CCG with miniatures.

Solzhenitsyn27 Sep 2012 9:32 a.m. PST

Not really a collector game as you know what you are getting in the box. I've been very impressed with the models and game so far.

ming3127 Sep 2012 9:42 a.m. PST

Each fighter comes with cards and tokens so you are not just getting the mini. the game is fun and has lots of strategy . and lends very well to multipilot games . I have not been this excited over a game in years . I was a big Blue Max gamer back in the day .

Mako11 Supporting Member of TMP27 Sep 2012 10:50 a.m. PST

The minis look great, and I know it comes with the cards and tokens, but it is still a very expensive game, miniatures-wise.

Not surprised, given the fees they probably had to pay to get the license.

Oddball27 Sep 2012 11:25 a.m. PST

Ya, Lucas doesn't give up anything cheap.

Still I love the minis and the game. More money in that "gents" pockets from me.

I heard they are already planing on another series of ships, anyone have info on that?

Oddball27 Sep 2012 11:27 a.m. PST

Never mind, I found the answer myself.

link

Tim White Supporting Member of TMP27 Sep 2012 11:29 a.m. PST

Prepainted, inexpensive, not randomly packaged. Pick 2.

billthecat Inactive Member27 Sep 2012 1:07 p.m. PST

I choose: 'inexpensive' and not 'randomly packaged'…

I realize that Lucas needs his cut and that StarWars fans willingly pay large sums of money for cardboard and plastic toys… just not my thing:
Too many cards and chits, etc (prevents one from using the rules with proxy miniatures)… hence the CCG comment.
Sounds like a fun game if you don't mind dishing out the money for a lot of cardboard IP.

Micman Supporting Member of TMP27 Sep 2012 2:12 p.m. PST

Ah but it is nice looking cardboard. One of friends picked the game and a couple of expansions up Tuesday night. We were playing in less than an hour. My feeling is you are getting value for your money. But if some feel it is too expensive perhaps they should compare it to 40K?

Chief Lackey Rich Supporting Member of TMP Fezian27 Sep 2012 5:17 p.m. PST

The cardboard bits billthecat is sneering at also aren't really all that neccessary. The dials can be replaced with movement charts and plotted movement, most or all of the cards have been spoiled by various reviewers, and the figs can be replaced by WotC plastics or unlicensed knockoffs from varios casters. You probably still need to buy the core box at a minimum for the damage cards and movement/firing templates, but $40 USD at full retail is hardly a backbreaking expense and at least it saves you the effort of making charts for the custom dice.

You would have to put in some extra work to play on the cheap like this, but if you've played even once it's obvious that many of the fancy components are just helpful, not vital. Typical FFG game design in that regard, they like their odd little extras and gameplay aids. It's almost as though they want to encourage people to actually buy their product by making them easier to use as-is. Funny, that.

Delthos27 Sep 2012 6:50 p.m. PST

You don't even have to buy the main box to get the dice. The dice are going to be sold separately in a short time. No need to make charts or purchase the main set if you really don't want to.

Fire Broadside28 Sep 2012 1:05 a.m. PST

Well, this thread quickly grew into a debate about cost. Haha!

To my mind the ships are on the expensive side of miniature gaming, but on the other hand you only need a few of them. So the final total will still be a lot less than most other miniature games.

I also think the quality of the miniatures have a direct correlation to the enjoyment of the game. Looking at those bendy, incorrectly scaled WotC plastics I can't imagine getting into the game if that's what would have been included in the box. Even if there were three times as many ships.

I think the worth of the box is not about the number physical bits in it, but the enjoyment you get out of them. But to each his own of course.

Lucius28 Sep 2012 6:17 a.m. PST

I've enjoyed it a lot. I really enjoyed the fact that 5 minutes after I got the package, my daughter and I were playing a game. The pre-paints looked great, we played two games, and everyone still got to bed on time with homework done on a school night.

Worth every penny.

john lacour28 Sep 2012 1:01 p.m. PST

it is expensive, but i'm going out tonight and buying it for me and my boy(9 years old). mean to say, it looks like alot of fun. and the fun factor is important. more important than the higher cost…

Sorry - only trusted members can post on the forums.